08 gsr vs 10 MR hub center bore different? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
hybrid_eg6
Just Spooling Up

08 gsr vs 10 MR hub center bore different?

So I have an 08 gsr and I recently sold my rota torques to a local evo owner that has a 10 MR now he is telling me it does fit he is saying that the center hub is larger then the rims center hub about 1/4 in smaller! I thought that the hub size is all the same?
Greddy ti-catback exhaust
Cosworth drop-in filter
GS 3 port
Aem boost gauge
Aem wideband
Girodisc slotted rotors
Girodisc "magic" brake pads
Boomba torque mounts
hybrid_eg6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
rcantu
X-phile

it's the exact same.
rcantu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
Yxd68
Forum Addict

The GSR and MR use the same hubs.

Does he have a hubcentric ring from his old wheels left on his hubs?
Yxd68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
hybrid_eg6
Just Spooling Up

I'm not sure?
Cosworth drop-in filter
GS 3 port
Aem boost gauge
Aem wideband
Girodisc slotted rotors
Boomba torque mounts
Old 10-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #5
hybrid_eg6
Just Spooling Up

Ok he said that they did have the rings on but he took them out and he said there is like a 1/8-1/4gap in between the rim and hub, dude I know that the rims fit my evo I just took them off my car a week ago, maybe he is not seeding the rims on the hub right or he install them on the wrong lug nut holes?
Cosworth drop-in filter
GS 3 port
Aem boost gauge
Aem wideband
Girodisc slotted rotors
Boomba torque mounts
Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
McCoy
[X Transmission/AWC Mod]

67.1mm is the hub size of an Evo. (Evo 5 right up to the X would all be the same)

rota wheels have a 73mm centre bore, which is more of a common size, skylines for instance are 73mm. So you need to run hub rings, tell him to fit them up otherwise the wheel studs will take all the side loading and nothing will be transferred to the hub itself.

http://www.facebook.com/RoadTrackRally
My name is Dan Got a question? Send a PM.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
hybrid_eg6
Just Spooling Up

Ok ill tell him, it was weird when he text me sayin it didnt fit right. Thanks
Cosworth drop-in filter
GS 3 port
Aem boost gauge
Aem wideband
Girodisc slotted rotors
Boomba torque mounts
Old 10-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Yxd68
Forum Addict

Quote:
So you need to run hub rings, tell him to fit them up otherwise the wheel studs will take all the side loading and nothing will be transferred to the hub itself.
I beg to differ.

The studs take all the load anyway. The rings are only used to center the wheel to the hub before tightening the lugs/studs - there is no load on the rings. The studs are loaded in tension and [single] shear.

Just like those dowel pins between the cylinder head and block - they only align, and play no part in retaining the head.
Yxd68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2013, 04:37 AM   #9
hybrid_eg6
Just Spooling Up

Ok I guess he had hub rings on the hub which they warp and thats why he couldnt install correctly he should of just removed them and installed the rims I didnt have any rings installed when I had the rims on. And yes the the stud holds the wieght of the rims, ring just keep it centered on the hubs.
Cosworth drop-in filter
GS 3 port
Aem boost gauge
Aem wideband
Girodisc slotted rotors
Boomba torque mounts
Old 10-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
McCoy
[X Transmission/AWC Mod]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxd68 View Post
I beg to differ.

The studs take all the load anyway. The rings are only used to center the wheel to the hub before tightening the lugs/studs - there is no load on the rings. The studs are loaded in tension and [single] shear.

Just like those dowel pins between the cylinder head and block - they only align, and play no part in retaining the head.
It's nothing like cylinder head dowels.

When you are travelling at speed and ride over a rumble strip at your favorite circuit the load associated with that impact is huge, the studs don't like that kind of upwards force. If you have no hub rings the studs will take all of that load, which is something they are not designed to do.

Wheel studs and nuts can withstand huge amounts of lateral force, this is of little doubt, but the hub is there to assist with the weight that gets forced downwards under compression and upwards with impacts like the above mentioned. Studs don't like that kind of loading all by themselves, they can snap. The hub is designed to take those loads, why do you think manufacturers have wheels that fit snugly over the hub?

I've seen it happen first hand at the track where wheel studs have snapped, a wheel has come off the car and the car has spun off into a concrete wall.

As far as balancing goes, we've seen countless Evo's with small vibrations that are easily fixed with fitting hub rings. I've lost count on how many sets we've fitted to cars over the years where it's fixed a vibration issue that couldn't be fixed with balancing. As a dyno operator it's also very evident as being on a dyno is like having a perfectly flat steel road ahead of you with any imperfection, believe me when I say you can feel EVERYTHING on a dyno, and with that a car without hub rings is very evident.

I wouldn't run without them either at the track or the road. Plus, it's not like they are expensive or hard to source.

http://www.facebook.com/RoadTrackRally
My name is Dan Got a question? Send a PM.
McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement