Noob trying to use ECUflash to tune boost. - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Tuning > ECUFlash / OpenECU
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

ECUFlash / OpenECU Subforum for discussion about ECUFlash / OpenECU software and tuning.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
BigT
Just Spooling Up

Noob trying to use ECUflash to tune boost.

While i'm not new to tuning a turbo car, I am completely new to using ECUflash. I've read through most of what's posted on the other board in the ECUflash forum, but almost all of what is posted is for the evo 8 and 9. It seems that the evo X has a few more maps to mess with. So, please help an ECUflash newbie out and answer a few questions.

What do each of the boost maps do? ie. Boost Target Engine Load 1A 1B and 2, Reactive Selenoid Base WGDC map 1A 1B and 2, and the Passive Selenoid Base WGDC map 1A 1B and 2.

I'm trying to keep a few more psi up top but have absolutely no clue where to start. I've spent hours sitting on my laptop and reading, but have not come to any conclusions just yet. Thanks for any help.
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
LAX
Just Spooling Up

Reactive solenoid is already maxed out at 100% from the factory at WOT, so you don't need to adjust that. The passive solenoid you can raise percentages (do all 3 maps the same) to get more boost.

The boost target engine loads are used for boost error correction - if you hit a higher load than the target, then it will reduce the reactive WGDC to lower the boost. Theoretically, it can also raise the reactive WGDC if you are hitting less load than desired, but since the reactive WGDC is already maxed out at 100%, it can't do anything. Also, keep in mind that the boost target engine load is the sum of what's in the table plus the boost control load offset. Stock, the offset is 80, so you add 80 to what's in all of those tables. As long as boost target engine load is set high enough, it shouldn't really come into play. Again, make all 3 tables the same.
LAX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #3
flagg77
[Local Team Member]

Yup, the hardest part of using EcuFlash is figuring out what the tables actually mean / do. Heres a quick stab at it:

BTEL 1a, 1b and 2
:
These tables are 3d maps that are Engine Load x RPM x Throttle Position. The Values in the cell are DESIRED target engine loads and work in conjunction with the load offset value in the Boost Control Offset table. At a very high level, this map is telling the ECU that if your at 3000rpm and you put the throttle down as far as it goes, to hit a desired engine load of 124 + the Boost Control Offset value. From a stock map this would be:

124+80 = 204

For a stock car, the load cell you hit is roughly equal to the absolute pressure you would see in the engine in kPa. 204 kPa = 29.5 PSI. Subtract atmospheric pressure from that (14.5psi roughly) to get the actual BOOST you would see in your boost gauge. In this case it would be roughly 15psi of boost.

To help you connect the dots, note that the 204 desired engine is then the value you could use to look up what ignition timing you should be running at that point. 3000RPM x 204 Load = 8 degrees of timing on the stock map.

Map 1a and 1b should be made identical though 1b is thought to never be called / used. Map 1 is used under "high gear" conditions. Map 2 is used under "low gear" conditions.

WTF does a boost solenoid do anyway:
This article has a pdf posted in post #1 that really details how solenoids work:
http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32552

You may or may not need the info, but perhaps others that read this thread might. Its for subie's, but the theory and concepts hold.

Reactive Solenoid WGDC:
The evo contains 2 boost control solenoids. The reactive solenoid allows a fine degree of control since it has a 3d map, whereas the passive does not and is a 2d table. The reactive table is a duty cycle % x rpm x throttle % table. The higher the cell value (up to a max of 100% duty cycle) the more your solenoid is trying to remain open. When the solenoid is open, it is trying to shunt air / pressure AWAY from your wastegate actuator so that it remains closed, and thereby builds boost. If you look at the stock maps you will see that the reactive tables are maxed out at 100% from 2750rpm to redline. Tune this and the passive table to both get your boost up faster, and hold it longer.

Passive Solenoid WGDC:
The passive solenoid works (from a mechanical perspective) in the same way the reactive one does. The higher the duty cycle, the more pressure its trying to shunt away from your waste gate actuator. The key difference here is that its a single column of values. You can set a desired WGDC per RPM, but not per RPMxThrottle position.

Folks: If you see ANYTHING in error in the above PLEASE correct me. I'm hoping to add this to a FAQ i'm working on so not only will edits benefit this thread, but the FAQ as well.

Works SSK // AMS Under Hood Shifter Bushings // TWM A6 Leopard
Defi Boost Gauge // UEGO WB
Synapse DV // HKS IC Pipes // CP-E HFC // ETS V2 Catback
ECUFlash Tune

Last edited by flagg77; 06-25-2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Corrections from Bryan @ GST
flagg77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #4
razorlab
aka bryan@GST

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagg77 View Post

Folks: If you see ANYTHING in error in the above PLEASE correct me. I'm hoping to add this to a FAQ i'm working on so not only will edits benefit this thread, but the FAQ as well.
The different # tables are for gear-based boost, and speed-limited boost, not knock.

Here is a section of a Ecuflash "how-to" I posted on EvoM many moons ago, it might help:

Boost Control:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Base Wastegate duty Maps

This table is used to set your base turbo boost level off the first solenoid in the boost control system. It is based off wastegate (solenoid) duty cycle, TPS % and RPM. As you can see it is maxed out at 100% duty cycle at WOT from the factory

Base Wastegate Secondary Solenoid duty Maps

This table is used to set your base turbo boost level off the secondary solenoid in the boost control system. It is based off wastegate (solenoid) duty cycle and RPM.

Boost Target Engine Load Maps

This table is used for the boost error correction system to keep your base boost levels in check. It is based off a target load at TPS % and RPM

Boost Control Load Offset

This table number + the Boost Target Engine Load number = Target Load

Turbo Boost Error Correction

If the engine load is above or below the "Target Load" (see Boost Control Load Offset + Boost Target Engine Load tables) by a certain percentage, then actual wastegate duty cycle is added or subtracted depending on this table.

Boost Control RPM Crossover (Gear based)

This table is used to see the RPM/MPH crossover for gear based boost. In stock form, the GSR model does not take advantage of this feature (but can be tuned to do so). The MR model uses this feature to keep boost lower at approx 3000-5000rpm in 1st gear.

Boost Limit

This table sets the boost limit (fuel cut), based on load.

Boost Cut Delay Timer

This table tells the ECU how long the ECU will let the car be above the "Boost Limit" before it cuts fuel. 1000ms = 1sec

Last edited by razorlab; 06-24-2009 at 06:17 PM.
razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
xPRimNT
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan@GST View Post
The different # tables are for gear-based boost, and speed-limited boost, not knock.
I know that this is what it's for, but could you elaborate on which table number is which?

That is, is it set up like:

1a is used below the crossover point
1b is used above the crossover point
2 is used only on Thursdays after 1:30PM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
xPRimNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
BigT
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPRimNT View Post
I know that this is what it's for, but could you elaborate on which table number is which?

+1...???
Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
BigT
Just Spooling Up

Thanks for the tips so far guys. You've been a great help.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
razorlab
aka bryan@GST

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPRimNT View Post

#1 is used for high gear

#2 is used for low gear

crossover point is governed by "Boost Control RPM Per MPH Xover (Gear Based)" table and the number inputted there is based on gear ratio
razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
xPRimNT
[Local Team Member]

Great, thank you.

So, is "a" and "b" similar to the temperature maps? That is, a warmup map and one that is at temperature?

I understand the gear based boost control, but never really knew which map was actually being used for low versus high gear. Thanks for the input!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by xPRimNT; 06-24-2009 at 08:08 PM.
xPRimNT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #10
flagg77
[Local Team Member]

Thanks Bryan, exactly the kind of smack down i was looking for

I thought i had that squared away but obviously i missed something. I knew the xover point stuff but thought that was between 1a and 1b.

+1 on xPRimNT's question then from me!

ps: i've edited my post a bit for now,more later.

Works SSK // AMS Under Hood Shifter Bushings // TWM A6 Leopard
Defi Boost Gauge // UEGO WB
Synapse DV // HKS IC Pipes // CP-E HFC // ETS V2 Catback
ECUFlash Tune
flagg77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement