Pushing the MR with a Garrett HTA3582 twin scroll - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Turbo
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Turbo Discussion for turbo systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #21
TheSin
[SST Mod]
[Local Team Member]

The SST will make the power of the GSR in time, but it's too new yet, just be careful the newly found torque limit disable does just that, disables it which isn't the best idea, if something happens and the clutches let go or the pressure isn't enough to keep then closed under load there will be no safety to so your engine revs and blow off the boost.

I'm all for pushing these and seeing what they can do but without pressure increases and with all safeties off I'd be very cautious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Friend Sean
Big boobs are just god's way of saying "Sorry you're fat..."
TheSin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #22
madfast
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSin View Post
I'm all for pushing these and seeing what they can do but without pressure increases and with all safeties off I'd be very cautious.
you took the SST apart, did you see any way to increase clamp pressure by tuning the tcu? in other words what was the use of those springs in the clutch pack? were they there to preload, and the actual engaging of the clutch is hydraulic? or are the springs the only way the clutches engage?

so if the springs in the SST act like the spring on a regular clutch, there is no other way to increase clamp other than a new set of springs no...?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #23
TheSin
[SST Mod]
[Local Team Member]

The spring rings (that's what I call them) would be to disengage the clutches, pressure would be control by the valve body which I didn't remove. I know that SSP has and is looking into the valve body as well as other ways to increase clamp pressure.

My point is just removing the torque limits might not be the best solution, being able to change the value for those setting would help aid incase a disaster happens. right now with it on if clutch slip occurs or the limit is reaches the clutches disengage and the RPMs are throttled back. Without that limit if the clutches let go it would be like hitting neutral with full boost. It's not the same as revving the engine to 7k at all, you are unload then it's 100% gone, which means you will redline faster then you can see it happen, and the load on the crank is gone. The vibration alone that would create will cause damage and there is potential of even worst things from there.

I'm glad we have found that torque limit but just disabling it may not be the solution till we know 100% the SST can take that power and hold it. Which may be the case but again it may not and it could be a very expensive mistake, that is all I'm saying. If we could bring that protection up and keep it on if it did fail at least then the TSU we tell the ECU to cut power. Right now I fear that would not happen.

If I'm wrong on those springs if they are engage springs which I hope they aren't they are for sure not strong enough and they will need upgrades to go above 350, you can have the grippiest clutches in the world but without proper pressure to hold them they will disengage under centrifugal force and the clutches will burn the sleets to a blue it's be like taking high speed sand paper to them.

not saying the clutches are bad, just saying it's one stage I'm happy I have them cause I'm ready now, but I won't be going above 400 or even trying to till more progress is made in tuning and clamping pressures whether that is software or hardware remains to be seen at this point. Sure would be nice to have a contact at getrag though.

I'm going to be contacting lentech in ontario, he has a transmission dyno he uses, it'll be the safest and cheapest place to test these transmission and clutches to get true numbers form it.
Quote:

Last edited by TheSin; 12-09-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #24
kozmic27
[Elite Merchant]

The sst clamps hydraulically with a mechanically driven hydraulic pump inside the trans. The springs are as TheSin said, for dis-engagement.

sales@kozmicmotorsports.com
Tuned by kozmic27:
Evo X Standing Mile Record 200.8mph
MyEvo X MR:690hp/455tq; SSP Evo X MR:531hp/406tq;
IndyEvo Evo X MR: 1st X MR 11 sec 1/4 11.851 @ 117.72;
SSP GTR 218.6 mph @ Texas Mile
kozmic27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #25
madfast
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSin View Post
The spring rings (that's what I call them) would be to disengage the clutches, pressure would be control by the valve body which I didn't remove. I know that SSP has and is looking into the valve body as well as other ways to increase clamp pressure.

My point is just removing the torque limits might not be the best solution, being able to change the value for those setting would help aid incase a disaster happens. right now with it on if clutch slip occurs or the limit is reaches the clutches disengage and the RPMs are throttled back. Without that limit if the clutches let go it would be like hitting neutral with full boost. It's not the same as revving the engine to 7k at all, you are unload then it's 100% gone, which means you will redline faster then you can see it happen, and the load on the crank is gone. The vibration alone that would create will cause damage and there is potential of even worst things from there.

I'm glad we have found that torque limit but just disabling it may not be the solution till we know 100% the SST can take that power and hold it. Which may be the case but again it may not and it could be a very expensive mistake, that is all I'm saying. If we could bring that protection up and keep it on if it did fail at least then the TSU we tell the ECU to cut power. Right now I fear that would not happen.

If I'm wrong on those springs if they are engage springs which I hope they aren't they are for sure not strong enough and they will need upgrades to go above 350, you can have the grippiest clutches in the world but without proper pressure to hold them they will disengage under centrifugal force and the clutches will burn the sleets to a blue it's be like taking high speed sand paper to them.

not saying the clutches are bad, just saying it's one stage I'm happy I have them cause I'm ready now, but I won't be going above 400 or even trying to till more progress is made in tuning and clamping pressures whether that is software or hardware remains to be seen at this point. Sure would be nice to have a contact at getrag though.

I'm going to be contacting lentech in ontario, he has a transmission dyno he uses, it'll be the safest and cheapest place to test these transmission and clutches to get true numbers form it.
oh ok. but if you increase clamp pressure, im sure you would have to upgrade the return spring as well. damn its gonna get expensive...

so once the TCU is fully understood, you can also change the rate of hydraulic pressure and thus clutch slip right? no more lag from a dead stop? please? pretty please?

Last edited by madfast; 12-09-2009 at 10:23 PM.
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #26
TheSin
[SST Mod]
[Local Team Member]

depends on how quickly you can change that pressure, until we find out how and where that can be controlled we won't know, if the pump is a variable speed or it can be diverted electronically with the valve body the release wont' be an issue, but in theory you are correct that spring ring may require to be adjusted or replaced.

I thought Gunzo had found some sort of pressures and was playing with them. But that is all I have heard about it I'd love to know more on that side of things for sure. Maybe Gunzo can chime in here?
Quote:
Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
kozmic27
[Elite Merchant]

This will be interesting, no doubt about that. I won't have all of the parts until the midle of January. It will be interesting to see how the sst clutch reacts to a high rpm powerband. I am trying to keep my expectations as low as possible. It is not my intention to disable torque limits, but adjust them to what the upgraded stage2 clutch can hold.

Tuned by kozmic27:
Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #28
TheSin
[SST Mod]
[Local Team Member]

that sounds like a good idea that is my plan aswell. I'm not on the full disable band wagon!
Quote:
Old 12-20-2009, 12:29 AM   #29
kozmic27
[Elite Merchant]

3 port is installed, (bfd I know). Clutches showed up today. They will have to wait until the week after xmas though, family. They look so.... un stock. Cams were on back order, but now they have a FedEx tracking number already. I guess I need to buy the retainers.....

Tuned by kozmic27:
Old 12-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #30
joey
Dr. Evo?

hell yeah. cant wait to see the end result.
Advertisement