Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

How To: RedLineGoods leather armrest.

24K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  ArceoFab 
#1 · (Edited)
HOW TO: RedLineGoods leather padded armrest.

Parts Required:
- RedLineGoods padded or non-padded arm rest.
can be obtained at REDLINEGOODS

Tools Required:
- Phillips screw driver to remove armrest screws.
- soft - pressure clamps
- thin flat head screw driver
- very sharp knife
- scissors
- pliers
- 6mm | 1/4" light duty staples.

Recommended Number of People
- 1 person

Difficulty
- 2, hard part is getting the metal staples into the plastic.

Time to complete
- 30 minutes taking your time.

Step by Step Instructions

1) Open up the arm rest and remove the 6 visible Phillips screws.

2) Remove two more screws under the plastic armrest lock clip and slowly remove the arm rest frame.

3) You can now see the 4 silver screws holding the armrest to the hinge. Remove them and take off the upper shell of the arm rest.

4) Unpack your brand new armrest cover and fit it to the arm rest shell. You have the option of removing the original suede. I left the OEM suede on in case I want to revert back to stock in the future.

5) Once you have the Leather on the arm rest, stretch it out to your liking over the shell and clip in place with soft - pressure clamps.

6) Staple the leather to the arm rest using 6mm - 1/4" or smaller staples. You may need to trim the leather around the corners like the OEM suede. Trimming will depend on how tight you want the leather.

7) Re-install the newly re-upholstered RedLineGoods leather arm rest into your EvoX. Replace the 4 silver Philips screws that attach the arm rest to the hinge.

8) ***CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY so you don't break the hinge***, insert the armrest frame into the arm rest shell. Replace the remainder of the flat Philips screws and re-attach arm rest lock clip with round Philips screws.

9) Enjoy your new leather arm rest.

10) Or match it up with a new RedLineGoods shift boot and make your interrior really POP.

Useful tip:
You have installed a product made out of genuine leather. As you know, to maintain a leather product in good condition, you should take care of it. We suggest occasionally (every 4-6 week for example) applying some leather conditioner/UV protector to keep your leather from drying up in the sun and cracking.

See less See more
#4 ·
Awh man, its awesome!! I did this because I have a chipped right elbow and sometimes it would hurt if I lean on the arm rest. With the padding is ultra comfortable.

I also have the OEM MR leather arm rest and let me tell something to you. This is FAR FAR superior and its real leather :-D

#6 ·
I just sent them the how-to email. :-D 3 minutes ago :clap:

#10 ·
MR/RalliArt shift boot Install coming up next.

PM for a discount code I found on another site ;-)

#12 ·
It's already here and waiting for the write up :)

#15 ·
would love to but vacation awaits :D

#21 ·
Should have PM'd me first. I have the discount code on top of that :D

Once you have it installed, take some pics, I'll send you the link for the $10 refund :)

#24 ·
That's how I did it. Regular stapler (not even a red swingline!). I didn't even open it, I just stapled it like it was a piece of paper.

Your staples might go through the plastic to the other side a little (I got maybe 1/4mm sticking out on maybe 4 staples). If that happens, on the inside edge of the staple just use a small screwdriver to back it out that 1/4mm until the staple isn't poking through anymore. It still holds perfectly.

And the whole time you have to quote office space "That's my stapler..."

#26 ·
Huh? My staples went right through the plastic. It's not hard plastic. That's how they fasten the armrest cover to the armrest plastic.

My staples stayed straight. They were short enough that they didn't go all the way through the plastic (in most cases), reach the other side of the stapler and "curl" around like they do with paper.

Make sense?

#28 ·
Forgot to tell you.......i dunno since this is not a link to their product but to a refund thing........ anywhoo, redlinegoods feedback PM sent.

Read. ;)

#29 ·
FYI- Redline goods have a sale on 15% off till end of the weekend. 2012/01/29
PM me if you want the link or code.

#30 ·
Great write up! I'm looking at the booty, e-brake, and possibly this cover as well. I don't mind the stock cover, but if i'm planning to change the booty and get the e-brake anyways I might as well splurge right :p haha. Anyways, looks nice!

#33 ·
Massive 20% SALE ON ALL REDLINEGOODS STUFF UNTIL DEC 1ST.

PM ME FOR DISCOUNT CODE!!! :)

#35 ·
on which part, the e-brake or arm rest?

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.