Constant whining noise, sounds like firetruck - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System > 5-Speed Manual (W5M6A)
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Speed Manual (W5M6A) Post all 5MT topics here.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
irmerm
Forum Lackey

Constant whining noise, sounds like firetruck

Edit: Video added

In the last few days I have noticed a constant whining noise coming from the engine bay while the car is moving. I can hear it most at low speed when tire noise is low and it kinda lounds like one of those fire truck sirens (though much quieter) in its pitch. The pitch is dependent on speed and it does it in and out of gear. The car was driven kinda hard for autoX last weekend, but no two step launches or anything like that. Anyone had this happen?

Here is the video I took this morning. You can start hearing it in teh background at 0:23 and then again at 0:35 - 0:41

K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs

Last edited by irmerm; 02-09-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Video added
irmerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
goofygrin
Doesn't live on Mercury

Whens the last time you changed your transfer case and transmission fluids? if you're tracking or autocrossing you need to do it at least once a year with good fluids.

Honestly though it's just your tires. Since you just autocrossed you now have uneven wear and you just need to rotate them.
goofygrin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
mlomker
Resting in Peace

I hope it isn't your transfer case.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/t-case-filling
Old 02-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
irmerm
Forum Lackey

I had considered the tires, but the noise does not seem to change based on the road surface. The other thing is that the noise persists all the way down to a stop and I don't think a tire would make a high pitch whining like that at under 10 mph. The tire noise has defitinely increased, but it's more of a dull drone. As for the fluids, they were last changed less than a year ago with the mitsu stuff when my clutch was replaced. I made a little vid that is uploading to youtube right now where you can kind of hear the noise in the background. The car is stock and still in warranty, so hopefully it won't be that big a deal to get it fixed. Just need to get an idea of what the issue might be.
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Old 02-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
goofygrin
Doesn't live on Mercury

The issue is that mitsu is going to look at your tires and likely claim "abuse."

They have a history of doing everything in their power to deny warranty claims.

Do you have a stock clutch? If not then they'll say that's the cause of the transfer case issue (assuming there is one). In fact a non-stock clutch takes you out of BS btw and moves you all the way to BSP (for the next time you autocross).

You also could be hearing turbo whine from loose bolts. Check all the bolts and nuts holding the turbo to the hotside as well as the nuts holding the exhaust manifold on. Mine has a nasty habit of eating those nuts and bolts.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
Mr.Wicked
Just Spooling Up

Dump your girlfriend or Wife.....
2006 SGM STI -(Sold)
1968 Ford Mustang
2009 BMW X6
1999 Callaway RR 4.6
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Mr.Wicked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
irmerm
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
The issue is that mitsu is going to look at your tires and likely claim "abuse."

They have a history of doing everything in their power to deny warranty claims.

Do you have a stock clutch? If not then they'll say that's the cause of the transfer case issue (assuming there is one). In fact a non-stock clutch takes you out of BS btw and moves you all the way to BSP (for the next time you autocross).

You also could be hearing turbo whine from loose bolts. Check all the bolts and nuts holding the turbo to the hotside as well as the nuts holding the exhaust manifold on. Mine has a nasty habit of eating those nuts and bolts.
As far as the tires go, I ran very high pressure, so it just roughed up the tread a little. I am going wait for that to smooth out before I take it in. The clutch is stock (replaced once already, long story), so I don't see that as an issue. As for the turbo, not sure if this would be it, since the pitch of the noise seems tied to vehicle speed, not RPMs. Just about to add vid to first post.
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Old 02-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
irmerm
Forum Lackey

video added to first post.
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #9
goofygrin
Doesn't live on Mercury

your car sounds WAY quieter than mine

Rotate your tires and see if it makes a difference. Free and easy to do.

I changed my transfer case and transmission fluids a couple weeks ago and it make my driveline significantly quieter (diaqueen in the transfer case, Amsoil in the transmission). I don't remember it being that much quieter when I swapped the fluids last year.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
irmerm
Forum Lackey

so i had to car on the highway driving home and it definitely seems that the noise is louder under acceleration, hinting at driveline. I read about transfer case whine, does anyone have any recordings or otherwise good descriptions of this? also, why would it start now? could this be the center diff pins grinding a hole in my transmission case? Arghhh...
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement