Labor for replacing a clutch? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System > 5-Speed Manual (W5M6A)
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

5-Speed Manual (W5M6A) Post all 5MT topics here.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
onelove4uk

Labor for replacing a clutch?

Sorry I know there have been a lot of threads on clutches, and I've spent quite a lot of time reading them, but I was wondering how many hours it would take to replace the clutch? I talked to Mitsu dealership and they said it would be about $1000 for the part and labor. They charge $95/hour so I'm guessing that's about 6 hours of labor. I talked to two other private mechanics and they said it would take 11 hours to do the job which is approx $800 excluding the part. I don't understand why Mitsubishi would be cheaper...is it possible they could do the job that much faster?

I have a completely stock Evo X, would it be worth it to get a Spec Stage II clutch....or should you only buy those if your car is modified? Although I do plan on doing some light mods next summer...

It's really surprising to me that my clutch is slipping. I have a stock car, I don't race or take to the track, I don't launch hard, and it only has 15,000 miles. It started a few months ago where the RPMs would shoot up a bit (then come down and steadily increase) in 4th and 5th gear whenever I accelerated. In the last couple weeks it has gotten exponentially worse. In 2nd-5th gear the RPMs shoot really high and then come back down to steadily increase. This coupled with the extremely loud, constant squealing whenever I'm braking is getting pretty frustrating. Both mechanics said the brake pads are only 50% worn and everything is fine. They said the particular material in our brake pads cause the squeaking sound and they've heard it in other cars too. I suppose I should get an aftermarket brake pad too? Thanks a lot in advance for the advice...
onelove4uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
arsenaldavid422
Just Spooling Up

i live in cali and a good reputable shop told me it would be 500 just in labor...ima get a stage 2 exedy hd...if u dont plan to mod ur car just go with a good reliably stage 1...brake pad skretching is normal! i deal with it :/
arsenaldavid422 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
llanthonyll
Just Spooling Up

i just got mine done yesterday at iveytune. labor is 6.5 hours and they charge 100 an hour so 650 to install.

but mitsu wanted 1000 in labor
another mechanic wanted 900. so it really varies
llanthonyll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #4
onelove4uk

thanks again for the advice. Were both of your clutches slipping or are you guys just replacing the clutch to get a better aftermarket one? I've been hearing people having problems with their clutches slipping at crazy low miles like mine...
onelove4uk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Eyler_Evo_X
[Global Mod]

You'll find anywhere between 500 and 1000 bucks. Personally, my guy did it for 800 and I think that's the perfect price. I don't trust people who do it really cheap and I won't pay a grand for something I could do in a weekend but am to lazy to accomplish.
I miss pre-mod Eyler. I say we start a campaign to return Eyler to his pre-mod glory, eloquent passes at me, random acts of empathy and grammar nazi-ing, while still modding. We'll call it Eyler: Back to Stock 2014. Yeah that will work. We need a movie poster of it.
Eyler_Evo_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Stock clutch is garbage

Mitsu will not warranty it

1000 for parts and labor is not bad, but you'll have to do it more often

Definitely get an aftermarket clutch, like an exedy twin SD if finances permit

I paid 650 for the labor on my clutch swap. It took them (2 people) 8 hours to do that, my diff pin swap and the SSP CMC install.
KickAss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
hollywood_X
[E-Tuner]

Do your own $0 in labor

www.PrecisionViolence.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...013389?fref=ts
hollywood_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
llanthonyll
Just Spooling Up

i installed mine because my clutch began to slip.
from what i read up on the stock clutch isnt to great.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
llanthonyll
Just Spooling Up

all comes down to the driver tho and if they are an aggressive driver or if they baby the car and the clutch.

obviously an aggressive driver is going to need to replace the clutch quicker then one who is not as aggressive.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #10
sgtpruitt
Just Spooling Up

450-850 from what I've seen. Just for labor. Find a shop who has done one before. I have done this twice so far and it was brutal both times.
sgtpruitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement