Review - Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads from Autozone - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
irmerm
Forum Lackey

Review - Duralast Gold Cmax/Brake Pads from Autozone

Disclaimer: Please don't lecture me about why I should have gone with upgraded pads, I know all about the virtues of doing so, did so for rear pads, and will be doing so for the fronts in the future. Now for the review:

Back in early February of this year I installed Duralast Gold Cmax front pads from Autozone. They cost $54.99 before tax. At the time, I was not planning on doing much modding and I know that most of the upgraded front pads are in the $100-200 range for street and prices go up from there. All things considered, I must say that I am pleased with my purchase, in spite of some shortcomings. Here's why:

Price:
Well, it's hard to beat $54.99 for some front pads

Dust:
These are not dusty at all. In fact, it takes about a month after the wheels are washed for the dust to be plainly noticeable (driving 250ish miles per week)

Noise:
No noise whatsoever

Braking performance:
Initial bite is slightly reduced over OEM pads, but I'd still give it a good rating. I like to drive spiritedly from time to time and I find the initial bite is only slightly reduced. These pads will haul the car from triple digit velocities to reasonable speeds without any sort of fade, though they do fade eventually. I have had some moments where I cursed these pads, such as when braking from 80ish to 30ish repeatedly in quick succession, but after reading some recent reviews of other pads (Hawk HPS in particular), I feel that these are just as good if not better than many of the more expensive "Street Performance" or "Better than stock" pads out there. Sure, these are not fit for track duty and really don't work all that well for AutoX, but they sure do get the job done on the street 99% of the time.

Conclusion:
If you don't track your car or AutoX and don't get on the brakes hard repeatedly, these pads should be just fine for you and you'll save some dough in the process. Me personally, I will be upgrading them soon because I plan to crank up the number of AutoX's I participate in next season and while these pads were ok for the Novice class, I feel I should upgrade to be competitive in my class (Tire B-Stock) and I don't mind the noise and dust of a more aggressive pad.
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
irmerm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
irmerm
Forum Lackey

wow, no comments in 10 days. I thought there'd at least be some discussion. I guess I'll just bump this for the Monday morning crowd
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
KARo7
Forum Lackey

I had these same pads on my car (only fronts) for 2 weeks because i desperately needed new pads, was going on a roadtrip and the the pads i wanted dint reach me in time (hawk HP+). Honestly, I really dint like them. YEs there was minimal dust and no noise (which i dont mind at all) but imo the initial bite and overal breaking power were quite down form stock pads. Glad they worked fine for you though and yes its mad savings...
AEM Boost and AFR Gauge
GTworx springs
Twm SS kit and bushings
Work ultimate kiwami 18*9.5 + RE11's
act pro-lite flywheel + comp stage 3
Magnus CMC
MR rotors & Hawk HP+
KARo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
cfevo
Just Spooling Up

You cant beat lifetime warranty.
cfevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
irmerm
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARo7 View Post
I had these same pads on my car (only fronts) for 2 weeks because i desperately needed new pads, was going on a roadtrip and the the pads i wanted dint reach me in time (hawk HP+). Honestly, I really dint like them. YEs there was minimal dust and no noise (which i dont mind at all) but imo the initial bite and overal breaking power were quite down form stock pads. Glad they worked fine for you though and yes its mad savings...
When I first installed them, they did suck. Once they were broken in though, they improved to "acceptable" levels, for me at least. Either that or I forgot how the car is supposed to brake, lol. My main point was just that these might work just as well as some of the aftermarket street pads that end up not actually being an upgrade over the stock pads.
K&N Drop-In Filter
CBRDSpeedFactory UICP
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Old 12-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
KARo7
Forum Lackey

I guess i dint have them on long enough then...
AEM Boost and AFR Gauge
GTworx springs
Twm SS kit and bushings
Work ultimate kiwami 18*9.5 + RE11's
act pro-lite flywheel + comp stage 3
Magnus CMC
MR rotors & Hawk HP+
KARo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
ryanhaggerty
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfevo View Post
You cant beat lifetime warranty.
From Tommy Boy (via IMDB):

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
ryanhaggerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Journeyman_steve
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanhaggerty View Post
From Tommy Boy (via IMDB):

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted. Why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to feel all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of shit. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

Whiteline RCK/RSB
Perrin 2" shorty
XXR 527 Chrome Black
AMS SS Lines/track pads when needed
Planned: Tune, gauge pod
Journeyman_steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Journeyman_steve
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmerm View Post
Disclaimer: Please don't lecture me about why I should have gone with upgraded pads, I know all about the virtues of doing so, did so for rear pads, and will be doing so for the fronts in the future. Now for the review:

Price:
Well, it's hard to beat $54.99 for some front pads
I won't bust your nutz. Me, I run ASR's for the mileage/price calculus, and I have definitely considered cheap ol' pads while searching for pads the past year and a half. I'm not saying "no" (even though I loved the Tommy Boy dialogue post), thankfully I have some GS6's new I can use after I kill my second DD pads. I'm over 45,000 miles so cheaper pads aren't a bad thing. Then again, I guess it's pertinent I also have a track set of pads with rotors I use for that setup too.
Whiteline RCK/RSB
Perrin 2" shorty
XXR 527 Chrome Black
AMS SS Lines/track pads when needed
Planned: Tune, gauge pod
Journeyman_steve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
ToddMcF2002
Just Spooling Up

squeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaak getting a cup of coffee at the drive through
squeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaak finding a parking spot
squeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaak in my own freakin neighborhood, knocking squirrels out trees

Seriously. It takes 30 seconds to change pads. I'll put on race pads on for an Auto X / HPDE that day and then take them off. I'm running Duralast rears and OEM fronts right now. I'm ditching the fronts ASAP.
ToddMcF2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement