Looking for experience "REMOVE ENGINE" - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Engine (4B11T)
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Engine (4B11T) Discussion for engine systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
vp900
Just Spooling Up

Looking for experience "REMOVE ENGINE"

Hey guys,

I'm sure few other user are interested too in the best way to remove the 4B11T. Of course everybody can take a look at the workshop manual, but maybe there are few tricks and tips we need to know.

Is it better to pull out the enigine top, or remove the frame under the car etc. etc. etc...

What part of gearbox, transfercaser etc. needs to be removed.

All infos are welcome

Thanks

Peter
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
tsitalon1
Just Spooling Up

While I'm not anywhere ready to do this I'm interested in this as well.

I've pulled the tranny three times and have extensive experience doing that, but believe there is a more efficient method/process for complete DT removal.

I think the best method is to remove the entire subfram assembly mounting the engine/transmission while the car is on a lift.

Is that even possible without a lift? Can the car be raised enough on stands to do that? What hurdles are present....steering shaft, hoses, etc?

Current mods:
FP Green
Cobb 3" inlet pipe
Rexspeed downpipe
FIC 1100cc injectors
Walboro 255 HP pump
FP install kit
Southbend Clutch custom segmented kevlar clutch
Shepherd transmission mods
3" racing catalytic converter
Magnaflow cat-back
3 port BCS
Ultimate Racing UICP
K&N drop Filter
Homelink rear-view mirror
Custom FX-R HID projector retrofit
Blacked out headlight housings
Foglight HID conversion
Zietronix WBO2
tsitalon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
NotAnEvoOwner
Just Spooling Up

If youre going to pull your motor. Get yourself a lift. As stated below, easiest way would be to drop the while front subframe, disconnect everything that is connected to the motor, disconnect the A/C compressor and then just undo the mounts and drop it. Its pretty straight forward.
NotAnEvoOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
saytheb
Just Spooling Up

I did it in my garage with a 2 ton racing jack and 3 ton stands.

We removed the engine through the bottom with the T-case, both manifolds and turbo and SST still attached, had to drop the subframe and driveshaft(left it bolted to rear, let it come out of the t-case -- no pulling necessary!) though. Was very easy since we left the steering pump connected to the subframe too. We put the AC compressor off to the side.. once you get it free and loosen the line brackets, it's easily tucked under the passenger wheel well and out of the way. The AC condenser is just resting on the front chassis beam (not the crash beam! The beam which is welded to the chassis), didn't need to do anything with it except push it off to the side.

The best way we found was to drop the engine with a hoist onto a shop creeper, lift the drivers side (since it was on the right of a two car garage and empty to the left) with a few blocks of wood on the jack, and pull the engine from under the car on the creeper. EXTREMELY fast!

Last edited by saytheb; 12-09-2010 at 12:18 AM.
saytheb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
vp900
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by saytheb View Post
I did it in my garage with a 2 ton racing jack and 3 ton stands.

We removed the engine through the bottom with the T-case, both manifolds and turbo and SST still attached, had to drop the subframe and driveshaft(left it bolted to rear, let it come out of the t-case -- no pulling necessary!) though. Was very easy since we left the steering pump connected to the subframe too. We put the AC compressor off to the side.. once you get it free and loosen the line brackets, it's easily tucked under the passenger wheel well and out of the way. The AC condenser is just resting on the front chassis beam (not the crash beam! The beam which is welded to the chassis), didn't need to do anything with it except push it off to the side.

The best way we found was to drop the engine with a hoist onto a shop creeper, lift the drivers side (since it was on the right of a two car garage and empty to the left) with a few blocks of wood on the jack, and pull the engine from under the car on the creeper. EXTREMELY fast!
Thanks you Maybe you have done few pictures you can post. That would help to see what was still in the car an what not

Thanks

Peter
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Clipse3GT
[Gearhead]

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp900 View Post
Thanks you Maybe you have done few pictures you can post. That would help to see what was still in the car an what not

Thanks

Peter
What are you planning Peter?
-Clipse3GT Tune -SC Built 2.0 -FP RED -COBB Hardpipes, SFI, Sway Bars -Cosworth MX1 -MDR Inlet -MAP P&P INT. & Full Race EXT.-ETS 4" FMIC -AMS DP, Fuel Rail, MM -T1R Exhaust -MXP TP -FORGE WGA -APS TV BOV -xMR Catch Cans -Walboro 255 -Fuelab FPR -FIC 1100cc -GM 3 Port -Techna-Fit SS Lines -TWM SS/Cage Shifter -WORKS Bushings -Ohlin DFV Coilovers -Whiteline Kit -VEI Gauges -Rally Armor -PERRIN Ant. -Advan RS
Clipse3GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
vp900
Just Spooling Up

EFR (not my X... the shop X)

No question I'll find a solution to take out the engine, but looking for the best way maybe with our without remove the gearbox before.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
scheides
Just Spooling Up

Drain coolant, undo all the wiring, pull off the fuel rail/manifolds and you should be able to take the whole thing out from the top with a standard engine hoist. Oh and unbolt the t-case (it can just lay on the subfame) and and pop out the axles too. I pulled my head off first so I had the accessory belt and pulleys off and that may or may not have helped but it wasn't too bad. Got it done in one saturday with the help of a few friends.

Putting it back together is always harder/longer than removing.
scheides is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
saytheb
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheides View Post
Drain coolant, undo all the wiring, pull off the fuel rail/manifolds and you should be able to take the whole thing out from the top with a standard engine hoist. Oh and unbolt the t-case (it can just lay on the subfame) and and pop out the axles too. I pulled my head off first so I had the accessory belt and pulleys off and that may or may not have helped but it wasn't too bad. Got it done in one saturday with the help of a few friends.

Putting it back together is always harder/longer than removing.
Just out of curiosity, why did yo decide to remove the manifolds to bring it out the top? The big problem we saw with trying to go straight up was that (in your case it's not an issue) the t-case wouldn't have cleared, as well as the SST being just so slightly tucked under the drivers side fender.

Peter, what kind of pictures are you looking for? Unfortunately since we were dangling an engine, I didn't grab any pictures during, but I have some images of the empty engine bay, as well as the engine as it stands now (minus the head). The subframe is still sitting in one piece, so I can grab a picture of that too if you'd like to see.
saytheb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
tsitalon1
Just Spooling Up

Grab a pic of the subframe the way it sits on the floor, that would give us some idea.

Current mods:
FP Green
Cobb 3" inlet pipe
Rexspeed downpipe
FIC 1100cc injectors
Walboro 255 HP pump
FP install kit
Southbend Clutch custom segmented kevlar clutch
Shepherd transmission mods
3" racing catalytic converter
Magnaflow cat-back
3 port BCS