Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MAPerformance 4b11 Stage 1 & 2 Shortblocks

34K views 88 replies 18 participants last post by  Maperformance 
#1 · (Edited)

Why Choose an MAP-built Engine?

We won't settle for anything less than the best when it comes to our engine builds. We utilize quality components along with specialized machining and assembly techniques for each individual platform to ensure the best
possible performance. If we see a gap in regards to acceptable product offerings on the market we often times develop our own like the Ultimate Duty Connecting Rods. We thoroughly inspect, blueprint, clean and assemble our engines in a clean room and most of the machine work is performed in house to satisfy our stringent requirements. We have had great success in building countless motors for every imaginable application from the weekend warrior to the all out race car.

MAPerformance 2.0l Shortblock for Evolution X (Stage 1) W/Core Echange Starting as low as $2249.99

MAPerformance 2.0l Shortblock for Evolution X (Stage 1) *No Core Required* Starting as low as $4199.99

Years of experience and hundreds of successful builds have given us a pretty good idea of what these motors like! If you're looking to make up to 650whp without having to worry about your bottom end you've come to the right place! Looking to make more than 650whp? Check out our stage 2 shortblocks below!

2.0L Features & Benefits

The 2.0L retains the factory crankshaft and connecting rod configuration so there is no need for custom parts here as there are a plethora of options on the shelf at all times!

Included Services

* Engine blocks visit our hot tank before and after machining for a clean, finished appearance.
* Crankshafts are never cut / turned and receive a micro-polish treatment and balancing specifically for high performance applications.
* The machine work process starts with a three step honing process utilizing a 4B11T specific torque plate to ensure roundness. Our three step honing process is finished with a plateau hone for the absolute best cylinder wall finish and ultimate ring seating.
* The last step in the machining process is resurfacing. We pride ourselves on the surface finish (RA) we achieve as it is of the utmost importance in regards to head gasket sealing.

Included Components

* ACL Race Series Main and Rod Bearings
* Forged Connecting Rods
* Forged Pistons

Available Pistons - Wiseco / CP / JE and more!
Available Connecting Rods - Manley H Beams or Turbo Tuff I Beams / MAP Ultimate Duty X Beam W/ ARP L19 Rod Bolts

Options

* Crankshaft: We use standard size OEM crankshafts most frequently as we have not had a crankshaft failure to date. However, we realize that cores are hard to come by and there are weight advantages with some aftermarket crankshafts so we will happily build your shortblock accordingly!

Core Requirements

Our stage 1 shortblocks do not feature an overbore as the stock sleeves get too thin for our liking at .020" over. As such, we require that your core be in pristine condition so that any defects or blemishes in the cylinder wall can be removed in our honing process. If your core is not acceptable we can either build from a new OEM shortblock or build you a stage 2 shortblock that features aftermarket sleeves as outlined below.

MAPerformance Stage 2 Shortblock for Evolution X Starting as low as $4549.99 W/ Core Exchange or $6949.99 With No core Required!

Stage 2 Features & Benefits

Our stage 2 shortblock retains the factory crankshaft and connecting rod configuration and features Darton MID sleeves for the ultimate in strength and durability! Pistons are available in 86mm (2.0l), 88mm (2.1l) and 90mm (2.2l) for those that would like to take advantage of the additional displacement capabilities of a sleeved block!

Available Pistons - Wiseco / CP / JE and more!
Available Connecting Rods - Manley Turbo Tuff I Beams / MAP Ultimate Duty X Beam W/ ARP L19 Rod Bolts

Included Services/Components

All Stage 1 services/components with the additional benefits of professionally installed Darton MID Sleeves. Sleeves will increase the overall strength of your shortblock while allowing for larger bore diameters measuring up to 90mm!

Core Options

Our stage 2 shortblocks feature Darton MID sleeves, meaning that just about any cylinder wall blemish can be overcome. However, If your core is not acceptable (hole in the block, etc) you can purchase a new OEM shortblock to start with as well.

Please contact us for unbeatable pricing on these products, also keep in mind we will match or beat any competitors pricing on so called "package deals"!

: Send us a PM|||||
: BurdAtMAP|||||
: 763-545-3800 x 100|||||
: Burd@MAPerformance.com

: The MAP blog - Get the inside track on what we're doing!|||||
: Check us out on Facebook|||||
: Follow us on Twitter

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
MAP is your number one source for engine internals! We pride ourselves on offering our customers the best of both worlds. Unbeatable pricing along with unmatchable customer service and support. Whether this is your very first engine build or you are just looking for spare engine parts for your track car MAPerformance has you covered. We have experience with the products we sell and are glad to share our knowledge. Contact us today to find the right combination of parts to make your dream build a reality!

|
|
||

||
||

We can also get OEM short blocks if you are interested in just doing an OEM replacement. Or maybe you are looking for a bare black and crank yet again we come to the rescue. PM me for pricing and availability.​

#8 ·
Their prices are right in line with the other shops in the arena.

If you already have a working relationship with MAP, which a lot of people do, this is a perfectly logical, awesome choice.

You go from ordering a fuel pump, to injectors, to a turbo, to, oh, I need a motor. What's that, you say? You offer motors to? And I can just deal with you?

Set. Game. Match.

#11 ·
Their prices are right in line with the other shops in the arena.

If you already have a working relationship with MAP, which a lot of people do, this is a perfectly logical, awesome choice.

You go from ordering a fuel pump, to injectors, to a turbo, to, oh, I need a motor. What's that, you say? You offer motors to? And I can just deal with you?

[STRIKE]Set. Game. Match.[/STRIKE] Game. Set. Match
There, fixed it.

This does indeed look like a VERY good option.

#9 ·
Good stuff!

#13 ·
With the stage two option, what advantages are there to boring to 88mm vs 90mm? Just safety?

I get the gasket set, but I've never understood why everyone offering a rebuild mentions replacing the oil pump. Why is that? I don't think I've ever heard of anyone's oil pump going bad.

Can you give some details on the MAP rods? Are they manufacturer in-house, or somewhere else? What do they weigh?

Any reason all options are piston fixed at 9.0:1 CR? Its the obvious safe choice for people running 91oct, but whats your experience with 9.5:1 on 93oct?

Are the sleeves installed in-house, or do you send the block out for the machining and install to some place that specializes in it? If so, is it sent to Darton, or some other shop?

From the QA side, once all the machining is done and new internals installed, do you fire up the finish product to test it in-house before shipping it? I know its a lot of overhead, but its the best way to catch problems before spending hundreds to ship the thing and wasting weeks of downtime.

#14 ·
Everyone offers an oil pump because you need to replace the oil pump when you have an engine failure. Typically you replace the pump, cooler and oil pan because debris from the motor get in there. Another shitty part about building the motor when it fails instead of before it fails. Thats almost another 1000 bucks.

#16 · (Edited)
With the stage two option, what advantages are there to boring to 88mm vs 90mm? Just safety?

The only reason I would go with the 88mm bore would be leaving room to overbore the motor if you ever need to do a rebuild again. If this is not something you are worried about I would go for the extra displacement and do the 90mm

The reason the Oil pump is recommended is as Murlo said most engines have been damaged which puts debris in the oil pump. Something you do not want on a new motor. Also when you have a brand new engine most people like to have the piece of mind knowing they have all brand new parts.

Can you give some details on the MAP rods?

Our MAP rods our designed in house and then manufactured by one of the biggest names in the business.
Made from 4340 billet steel for the ultimate strength
American made (forged, machined, and finished)
Shot peened/stress relieved and heat tempered
CNC'd to perfection for the ultimate in fitment
Require no modifications to the block or crank to fit
Come with 7/16" ARP fasteners as a standard feature, not the weaker 3/8" like everyone else
They are rated for over 300whp per cylinder (1200+whp per motor!).

Any reason all options are piston fixed at 9.0:1 CR?

9.0:1 is just what most of the company's offer off the shelf. We can do just about any compression ratio upon request. If you do plan on sticking with pump gas I would recommend staying with the 9.0:1

Are the sleeves installed in-house, or do you send the block out for the machining and install to some place that specializes in it?

The sleeves are installed by a local machine shop to our stringent quality control standards (until we get our vertical machining center installed, coming soon). All of the other machining is done in house by our experienced machinists.

We do not run the engines before shipping. All of our engines are blue printed ensuring there are no loose ends. We do have a very friendly competent set of sales reps that can guide you through the proper break in procedures ensuring you have no issues.

Please let me know if you have any other questions

BURD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.