Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

LaNasa1980: Road to 2.3ltr, FPBlack, Methanol Build

51K views 796 replies 46 participants last post by  lanasa1980 
#1 · (Edited)
Update: 30JAN2012 Well I talked to the shop today and was informed that my 2.3L shortblock was totally destroyed again. The Meth kit witch dump 5 gallon of boost juice in the engine hydro locked the engine. One rod snapped, one bent, and 2 of the cylinders were damaged. Also looks like the mechanic installed the large nozzle into the turbo after being instructed no to do that. So after 20G and 2 engines my final thought is F**K Meth!!!!!!!!! I don't recommend anyone ever uses it, I agree with everyone else there are to many things that can go wrong. The only thing that survived this time was the crank and ERL wont sell you a piece by piece kit so I have to buy a whole kit if I want a 2.3 or a 2.5L... I am sorry but the HELL with that, just say your money and go with Manley!!!!!!! If I could do it over again I would go 2.0-2.2 and call it a day.

OK so I thought that it is time for me to start a thread. I have a OB 2010 EVO X GSR with about 9,000 Miles on her. I am not sure how many people name their cars but mine is GaGa (A Long Story). So since most people like to run E85 I deiced a while back to go with Methanol, the closest E85 station in over an hour away. . Meth can be a cheap and safe route to make power as long as you take the necessary safety precautions, I learned that last year first hand. I will post all the pics and updates to the first page.

Edit: (12/30/22)
Here is a List of my current MODS:
ERL 2.3L Shortblock (BB3N), K&N Typhoon Intake, Tsudo Cat Back Exhaust, Perrin Downpipe with High Flow Cat, Greddy RS BOV, Perrin 3 Port EBC Solenoid, Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit w/dual nozzles, Blue and Grey Relay Upgrade, Shifter Base and Control Arm Bushings, ECU Flash, Tactrix 2.0 Port, Virtual Dyno, Auto Meter 35PSI Boost Gauge, DEF Oil Pressure Gauge, AEM UEGO Gauge, Dash 3 Gauge Pod, Blue Relays, Grey Relay, (4) Infinity Kappa 6-1/2 75 W RMS, Clarion NX409 In Dash DVD[/URL]/GPS, Sony XM-ZR704 AMP, Power Acoustik Class D Series A1000DB, Yellow Optima, & 35% Window Tint

Future MODS
Nitto 555 Tires, Synapse BOV, Swift Sport Springs SPEC-R, DW 300 Pump, DW 1300cc, AMS Intercooler, GSC S2 Cams, GSC Beehive Springs, Supertech +1mm Over Valves, MAP Short Runner Tubular Exhaust Manifold, Megan Racing Turbo Outlet O2 Housing, TWM Short Shifter, M1 Knob, Trans Bushings, CM 850 Twin Disc, Magnus CMC Upgrade, Primo 3.5 Intake, MAP Rev 3 Intake manifold, Boomba Racing Hybrid Intake Manifold w/75 mm Throttle Body, BB Ported FP Black Turbo.

This was the damage from my Rod breaking and jumping through the engine block,

My intake Valves were damaged along with my timing chain

We went a head and yanked out the engine

Here is my ERL 2.3L Stroker Kit (BB3N) with a new block, ARP Head and Main Studs, Assembled by Motion Labs

Here is a shot of the my Perrin Down Pipe w/ High Flow Cat

This is a shot of my dash and gauge setup

Engine Bay Shot

LAST TUNED BY: MOTION LAB
DYNO DYNAMICS
343.9 WHP
380 TQ
These were my print outs after I was tuned with Meth, the lower pull I was still flashed with the COBB AP stage 2

Here was my first dyno pull after I added the K&N Typhoon Intake, Tsudo Cat Back Exhaust, and Greddy RS BOV

Attachments

See less See more
1 21
#2 ·
Looks like it's going to be quite a build. Glad to see you're getting your trans beefed up in addition to the power mods. Nothing like some insurance... What kind of power goals do you have in mind with this build?

#4 ·
Thanks, as far as WHP any thing over 500whp and I will be happy.. I will most likely push it to see what she can do at the end then tone her back a bit for DD

I am talked to Sean today, I am gong to send them a new short block and have them put every thing together then send it to be so all we got to do is put on the head.

I highly suggest that when you do the stroker kit you send ERL the block and have them do all the machine work and assembly. It's going to cost you a couple hundred for shipping but worth the price for the added security and attention to detail they give.

#5 ·
Last night I finished up my EVOSCAN cable so I can log AFR with my AEM UEGO.

#7 ·
Yep me too, I am waiting on Sean from ERL to email me back about the Short Block. I should be buying a block and shipping it there for them to put it together. That really sucks about your car, any updates yet?

#13 ·
Yep you cant hate on a good product, I totally know I have been sleeping on it, I have had the car since feb 2010 and I was going to go red until I hear they were going to finally do a black. It made me happy because my goal was any thing over 500WHP and no one was really hitting that with the RED. I didnt want to go T3/T4 like I did on my GSX, I didn't want to deal with the turbo lag.

what sort of meth mix , boost ur goona run?
Last time I ran 1 bottle of Blue washer fluid & 2 Heet and she was fine. This time I am going to try Snow Performance Boost Juice witch is 49% methanol and 51% water. Locally I can get a 5gal drum and mix it, I hate doing that because to get a good accurate mix you have to use a scale since the weight of meth and water differ.

Sweet!! I myself am doing a build. I have been swaying back and forth whether or not to build the bottom. Hmmmm.. I'm very close to the Why the F#ck Not.
Its is always a good Idea to build the bottom, the rods are our weak point, thats what most people break and short through the engine.

I love seeing all these black builds. I can only hope that murlo, hollywood, and myself have laid out a good path for everyone to come join us in the OMFG TORQUE party.
Like I said its been since murlo was testing one that I wanted one. Hollywoods turned out awesome Great numbers if you ask me, I know he wanted more but I it was good in my book. I have wondered what he could pull with some weight reduction, to bad his will be a DD.

#12 ·
I love seeing all these black builds. I can only hope that murlo, hollywood, and myself have laid out a good path for everyone to come join us in the OMFG TORQUE party.

#14 ·
Well my Snow Performance Relay and Low tank level light came today, I should be getting the controller in soon as well.

#18 ·
I will most likely run 30-35. I am sure I will get like murlo and try 35-40 Just to see what the gain would be, but I am sure its wouldn't be much.

#22 ·
It doesn't suck, it still makes an easy 500whp and its a stock frame turbo. It's just many t3 kits will do way more a lot easier.

You just have to drop a lot more money on them then!

#23 ·
No there is no hate since I was goin to do a black build but I end up not doin shit cuz I just want to max out the stock turbo for now and than I will be go bigger just bcuz hotdog like bigger HT86 is the turbo I had choose now. So good luck and we are goin to be here waiting for #s :)

#26 ·
I just fail to see why someone with a black, who built their car after seeing others' results, would say it sucks. The black is what it is, stock frame, almost 35r power. It is a good Turbo if it fits in your plan.

#36 ·
I could but Fredbeans parts has them for $1883.00 Shipped and ERL wants $2000. Seems to me like a way to save a $100 bucks

#37 · (Edited)
After bouncing between Sean from ERL and Tod from Motions Labs I finally deiced to go with a 2.3ltr Short Block built from Motion Labs (Charlotte, North Carolina). The new block will be made up of:
Manley Platinum Pistons
Manley I beam Rods
Manley 94 mm Stroker Crank
ACL Rod Bearings and Main Bearings
OEM Mitsubishi Thrust Bearings
ARP head stud kit and main studs
New OEM Oil Pump
Complete Gasket Kit

I cant wait to order her in the morning. I am kinda jealous that two more people are doing 2.3 ltr builds right now as well, at least they live in Charlotte NC and not Greensboro.

#39 ·
I just PM you the price, I think it was a good deal

#40 ·
2800 for the manley crank? That's what im using in my build right now and that price seems high. If you don't mind, PM me price and we can compare. Btw, the 94mm stroke on the manley crank makes the final displacement closer to 2.2 ltrs.

#41 ·
It 6,554.00 for the whole thing. All I got to do is get my mechanic to bolt on the head and drop her in. If you call them ask for Todd, tell them you are friends with Mike

#42 ·
The price looked good to me, they beat what was ERL quoted me, and how doesn't love Manley parts..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.