Technical differences between COBB stage 1 and stage 2 maps ? -91 vs 93 ? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Tuning > Cobb AccessPort
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Cobb AccessPort Subforum for discussion about AccessPort software and tuning.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Ozzyman

Technical differences between COBB stage 1 and stage 2 maps ? -91 vs 93 ?

Hey guys- I was curious about the specific tuning differences between the OTS stage 1 and stage 2 tunes on the Accessport. Maybe even the differences between the tunes for 91 v.s. 93. I have ATR for the sole purposes of attempting to learn about how tuning works. Just from looking at the graphs, I can see that the 93 tunes are about half a point leaner and they probably advance the timing just a bit and up the boost too, but I was just curious as to any thing more specific as just comparing graphs is not the most straightforward learning tool.

As for the differences in stages, I hear ALOT of people talk about jumping right from stock to stage 2 (usually the LWG map), because the MIVEC is "so aggressive". What does this mean specifically ? Does it switch over the cam profiles at far more often intervals or does it switch too drastically ? Correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it- newer MIVEC uses 4 "profiles" that it continously swaps to and from as needed.
On Cobbs dyno charts it doesn't look so much like a ton of peak hp/tq is to be gained with the stage 2 but the boost and torque curves are much more aggressive from 3k rpm on up. I imagine this (supposedly) makes the extra EGT's that justifies the need to switch to a better flowing cat. I still havent decided if I want to just jump to stage 2 on my stock exhaust or wait a while. Not a big decision either way, as I am a patient person but I would be very interested in learning EXACTLY how stage 2 effects the car compared to stage 1.
Ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
SiliconTek
Forum Addict

Stage one is trying to push a little harder to get more exhaust through the stock cat and therefore the MIVEC is a bit more aggressive. Outside of that the main ones are timing, boost, and fueling.

You can find pretty much all you need to know about tuning the Evo here... Even though it applies to Ecuflash, the tables are all the same except for the 32 offset on the boost tables and the /14.7 Cobb uses in the fuel tables.

http://thefrost.net/randomfiles/tuni...GUIDE_V2-0.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.

Last edited by SiliconTek; 06-23-2011 at 10:27 PM.
SiliconTek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Ozzyman

Do you personally think its safe to run the stage 2 then or at least the LWG map on the stock exhaust for that reason being that MIVEC is so aggressive or do you think the extra heat from advance and extra boost is cause enough to wait to free up the cat/exhaust ?
Ozzyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
SiliconTek
Forum Addict

There are many here running stage 2 LWG on practically stock setups. I believe Hollywood even has a thread on it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
SiliconTek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
X-Factor
Forum Lackey

I've seen that and really don't understand how these types of setups are working...Cobb's requirements for Stage 1, 2, and LWG are very specific.

~AEM~ETS~GSC~Kelford~Moore Automotive~Perrin~Pierburg~Rally Armor~Synapse~

12.178@111.89
X-Factor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
Golden
[Gearhead]

Compare the 2 maps. Not many differences.
Need a Definition for the X? Golden's Definition Database
PM me for Tuning info. (Any rom, including undefined roms.)
Golden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement