Stage 2 with just a test pipe - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Tuning > Cobb AccessPort
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Cobb AccessPort Subforum for discussion about AccessPort software and tuning.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
crizzbee

Stage 2 with just a test pipe

So I'm getting the cobb AP and I'm wondering if I should get a hfc or a test pipe for stage 2. I wanted to get a full exhaust but the ones I want (perrin steath or buschur crossflow) are too expensive for me for a while. I want it to sound stealthy so I realized I could just replace the stock cat and it shouldn't be to loud and will still give me the gains...right? I tried searching for videos of evo x with only a test pipe but I couldn't find any. Just a lot of civic and prelude videos that sound super ricey. Can anyone tell me if just putting a test pipe or a hfc is going to make it super loud and ugly sounding?
crizzbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
1LiLevo
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizzbee View Post
So I'm getting the cobb AP and I'm wondering if I should get a hfc or a test pipe for stage 2. I wanted to get a full exhaust but the ones I want (perrin steath or buschur crossflow) are too expensive for me for a while. I want it to sound stealthy so I realized I could just replace the stock cat and it shouldn't be to loud and will still give me the gains...right? I tried searching for videos of evo x with only a test pipe but I couldn't find any. Just a lot of civic and prelude videos that sound super ricey. Can anyone tell me if just putting a test pipe or a hfc is going to make it super loud and ugly sounding?
i heard on a stock setup it wouldnt be louder
Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
xVforVelocityx
X-phile

Either one will work for Stage 2, just make sure you do some datalogs to check for knock, boost, etc. Replacing the cat will give you the most gains, it is the most restrictive part of the entire exhaust system, test pipe will give you more gains but it will be louder, HFC will not give you as much gains but will be quieter.
xVforVelocityx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
PhantomEvoXSE
Just Spooling Up

I ran Stock exhaust with a test pipe and stage 2 for a while feels really good
I ran a 12.8 with a crappy launch in hot weather with Cobb sf intake ets uicp test pipe and stage 2. With just intake I ran 13.2 with no tune. So it helps quite a bit even with stock exhaust. And sound wise it's just a bit louder than stock but sounds good
2010 Evolution X SE #199 of 340
PhantomEvoXSE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
crizzbee

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like a go. So it will be a bit louder than stock but not as loud as a full exhaust? And anyone know if its just a fix it ticket if the cops actually find out your driving catless?
crizzbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
sean juan

It won't even be close to having a full exhaust. It's not a big difference with just a test pipe. Cops won't find out. Don't worry.
sean juan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Kyle08gsr

Ya my testpipe barely made a difference in sound. It only serves the purpose of getting rid of your CAT for performance. It makes the sound a little bit more "hollow" if you can understand what I'm trying to say. Aaannnndddd be prepared for the fumes. I'm used to it now so it doesn't bother me. But be ready for your car to gas out your passengers at stop lights, after you've WOT'd a few times.
Kyle08gsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #8
A769

yeah theres not really a sound difference at all
A769 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
tocqueville

Sorry a stupid question, so I ordered myself the Tomei Exhaust and test pipe. Am I safe to run stage 2 without the downpipe.
I will get the Tomei downpipe eventually
tocqueville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
KenpoRA
Just Spooling Up

I have read the big thing for stage 2 is replacing the OEM cat. If you do that you can use stage 2 and just data log everything.
Advertisement