2 step and Magnus CMC - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 07-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
jordantii
Just Spooling Up

2 step and Magnus CMC

I have the Magnus CMC set up, FX400 and a Jacks trans. I have been adjusting the pedal height but since the FX 400 engages quite high I want to lower the pedal at rest and introduce some free play. This is not possible with the 2 step switch at the top of the clutch pedal stroke. There are not enough threads on the sensor to have the pedal stop on the sensor. I don't like that the clutch uses the pushrod as it's stop/limit of travel because it tops out the CMC. I have been told this is no an issue but I wanted to see what some of you think.

So my thought is to pull the sensor out, wire the connector to a switch on the dash and then swap in a longer bolt with enough thread to make the adjustments freely.

This would allow me to flip a switch to engage the 2 step, like I will ever need it, but that is beside the point.

Anyone see a problem with this? I am suspecting that once the ECU see's speed it elminates the 2 step so there would not be a need to imediately flip the switch to off.

Thoughts or am I being a wierdo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
NukeRJ
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
I have the Magnus CMC set up, FX400 and a Jacks trans. I have been adjusting the pedal height but since the FX 400 engages quite high I want to lower the pedal at rest and introduce some free play. This is not possible with the 2 step switch at the top of the clutch pedal stroke. There are not enough threads on the sensor to have the pedal stop on the sensor. I don't like that the clutch uses the pushrod as it's stop/limit of travel because it tops out the CMC. I have been told this is no an issue but I wanted to see what some of you think.

So my thought is to pull the sensor out, wire the connector to a switch on the dash and then swap in a longer bolt with enough thread to make the adjustments freely.

This would allow me to flip a switch to engage the 2 step, like I will ever need it, but that is beside the point.

Anyone see a problem with this? I am suspecting that once the ECU see's speed it elminates the 2 step so there would not be a need to imediately flip the switch to off.

Thoughts or am I being a wierdo?
I don't think that is a good idea - the top clutch switch is also an input to cruise control. as well as several other ecu operations. Tephra could prob tell you more about what else uses the switch.

perhaps you should just get a threaded rod at a hardware store with a long tension adjusting collar and put it all together to extend the clutch switch?

I have found that limiting the travel on the clutch can lead to shift lockout at higher rpms if the clutch plates do not disengage far enough

GoldenEagle 88mm Sleeved Block CompTurbo 6767 and CompTurbo 5356 Hot-swap Kit ETS Divided T3 Kit BC 2.4L Stroker BC2 Cams/Springs CP 10.5:1 Pistons Carbonetic Twin Volk TE37SL RPF1 Daily's Ohlins/Works Stage III 12k/14k ID2000 Fuelab Prodigy System ShepTrans Turbosmart TiAL AEM Boomba AMS Hotchkis Whiteline Supertech +1mm EBC Magnus
NukeRJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
jordantii
Just Spooling Up

That's good to know about the switch. Unfortunately it can not be extended. And as for the clutch, the FX 400 has a very very high pedal. I am still higher than the brake pedal. I just wanted to be able you have some more adjustment.

It engages in the last 1-1.5 inches of travel.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
3dman1
Just Spooling Up

If you lower it shifting will not be as nice. I have tried everywhich way to lower the pedal and have come to the conclusion that higher is better. You will cause lockout and syncro damage/ wear.
3dman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
KickAss
[X Performance Mod]
[Racing Mod]
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeRJ View Post
I don't think that is a good idea - the top clutch switch is also an input to cruise control. as well as several other ecu operations. Tephra could prob tell you more about what else uses the switch.

perhaps you should just get a threaded rod at a hardware store with a long tension adjusting collar and put it all together to extend the clutch switch?

I have found that limiting the travel on the clutch can lead to shift lockout at higher rpms if the clutch plates do not disengage far enough
I have experienced this first hand at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus View Post
HA!! Yeah Orthojoe, quit being a vag in your safe, relatively practical cars...come back to us, come dance with the devil again....
KickAss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
dkevox
[Team IEG VP]

The shop that installed the carbonetics put a stopper to limit clutch pedal travel because it was fully dissengaged well before all the way depressed.

They just jumpered across that clutch pedal sensor switch. So the car will start now if the clutch pedal isn't depressed.

That said, this has no impact on the 2-step. Stopped and in first and reving it, it will still bounce off the 5500rpm rev limiter. So that switch has nothing to do with the 2-step.

Just jumper across it, or you won't be able to start the car ever.

FOR SALE: MINT CONDITION 8K Miles PB EVO X GSR

---------------------------MY BUILD THREAD--------------------------
dkevox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
jordantii
Just Spooling Up

You are talking about the upper switch, right?

And as for the travel. I have set it lower and have no lock out at high rpm. The FX400 has a very high engagement point. The pedal is still slightly higher than the brake pedal.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
jordantii
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dman1 View Post
If you lower it shifting will not be as nice. I have tried everywhich way to lower the pedal and have come to the conclusion that higher is better. You will cause lockout and syncro damage/ wear.
Do you have the FX400 segmented full face?
Old 07-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
jordantii
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1130 View Post
The shop that installed the carbonetics put a stopper to limit clutch pedal travel because it was fully dissengaged well before all the way depressed.

They just jumpered across that clutch pedal sensor switch. So the car will start now if the clutch pedal isn't depressed.

That said, this has no impact on the 2-step. Stopped and in first and reving it, it will still bounce off the 5500rpm rev limiter. So that switch has nothing to do with the 2-step.

Just jumper across it, or you won't be able to start the car ever.

Picture of said stopper or it didn't happen
Old 07-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #10
dkevox
[Team IEG VP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Picture of said stopper or it didn't happen

haha, kk give me 5min

FOR SALE: MINT CONDITION 8K Miles PB EVO X GSR

---------------------------MY BUILD THREAD--------------------------
dkevox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links