Matte Clear Plasti-Dipped WW Evo X - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Vanity
Home Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Vanity Discuss body kits, wings, interior mods, etc having to do with the appearance of the Evo X. Do NOT post detailing threads here.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:35 PM   #21
wicked_evo11
Forum Lackey

that video is great? but how would it hold over time, especially daily? im always scared that plasti dip can be stained. I have plasti dipped my vents with black and they turned out great. But close to a year now, they seem to have water stain marks on them
wicked_evo11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #22
JDMevilX
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_evo11 View Post
that video is great? but how would it hold over time, especially daily? im always scared that plasti dip can be stained. I have plasti dipped my vents with black and they turned out great. But close to a year now, they seem to have water stain marks on them
I think a years worth of protection would be awesome for the price of it! Dip the car one color and after a year, peel it off and do another color

still wayyyyyy cheaper than a paint job/ wrap
JDMevilX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
srtoad4
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMevilX View Post
I think a years worth of protection would be awesome for the price of it! Dip the car one color and after a year, peel it off and do another color

Exactly. The point of dip is not for a serious 3-5 year job, it's more for changing the color of your car while protecting your paint. My Voltex lip is getting chewed up daily driving 50 miles a day to work, so this is the initial reason I began looking into full car dips.
Voltex / Aero / 18x9.75 / 265's
srtoad4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
wicked_evo11
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMevilX View Post

Have you ever peeled plasi dipped that over a year old?
My opinion is was a bitch to do. My buddy has two srt8 jeeps, and one has plastidip on it from a previous owner. It took forever to just peel it off the chrome trimmings and rims.

Im gonna be dipping gold wheels soon. Maybe a bright matte blue. Also i have voltext front lip spoiler that i will dip matte black

Last edited by wicked_evo11; 01-31-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #25
srtoad4
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_evo11 View Post
Have you ever peeled plasi dipped that over a year old?
My opinion is was a bitch to do. My buddy has two srt8 jeeps, and one has plastidip on it from a previous owner. It took forever to just peel it off the chrome trimmings and rims.
That's because it wasn't laid down thick enough. Have you watched DipYourCars youtube vid of peeling?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
wicked_evo11
Forum Lackey

i just edited my post. I figured something was done right. When i peeled the dip off my car, it was easy. On the jeep the previous guy did like 1 heavy coat. I laid down 4 light coats on a friend's truck and i had no problem peeling it 5 months after
Old 01-31-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
Jeremy@SSP
[Local Team Member]

If you only have 1 or 2 coats it's going to be a PITA to get off. The more dip you have on the easier it is to remove.

I did a Honda Crosstour (big ass car!) and after the car show the owner and his friend removed the dip in under 30 min!!

Jeremy@SSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
srtoad4
Just Spooling Up

Jeremy, did you see my last question for you?

When you're done, you just spray a whole quart of paint thinner through it, and disassemble the whole tip to clean by hand?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #29
Jeremy@SSP
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtoad4 View Post
Jeremy, did you see my last question for you?

When you're done, you just spray a whole quart of paint thinner through it, and disassemble the whole tip to clean by hand?

Sorry bud, didn't see that one.

I don't use a quart, just enough to spray through the gun until it starts spraying clear. Then I remove the pick up tube, white gasket, and disassemble the tip and make sure it's totally clean. If you don't do this when spraying next time you can have little bits of the previous color spit out. Last thing you want it to be dipping a white car and have bits of black dip shoot out.

Jeremy@SSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 03:13 PM   #30
joey
Dr. Evo?

So how many gallons of this would be enough to do an evo x with left over dip?

Also I remember talking about doing this a wile back. People didn't agree. Then a member n here did it and he got flamed. Then Jeremy did it and he had nut swingers. The swingers were the same dudes that flamed the other dude for doing it lol. Some people's kids

Last edited by joey; 01-31-2013 at 03:17 PM.
joey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement