Gravel Road = FUN, FUN = damage :/ - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
CanEvo2012
Forum Lackey

Gravel Road = FUN, FUN = damage :/

Yesterday was going on a gravel road for the first time in Evo. Decided to see what this car is made for Switched to gravel mode - gave it some gas and immediately the car went sideways - FUN! Tried a few turns sideways and damn this thing is easy to drive - it just is as controllable on gravel as it is on tarmac...

Now the bad part - my rear BBS stock wheels are all chipped from gravel that flew all over the car from my WOT side passes :/ Also, there is a number of scratches on the rear doors and fenders... not cool. Nothing that wasn't worth the fun, but honestly if I will keep doing this, my car will look like a beat up POS in a few runs...

So question, do mudflaps actually work? Is there any other way of protecting the paint and rear wheels?
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
KARo7
Forum Lackey

Ive done the the same too and I had mudflaps.... WHile i do not have rock chips on the car/door I got one on the rear fender and my +15 offset RPF1 wheels got chipped pretty bad. SO i guess it does help a bit but if your power sliding sideways theres only so much they can do.
AEM Boost and AFR Gauge
GTworx springs
Twm SS kit and bushings
Work ultimate kiwami 18*9.5 + RE11's
act pro-lite flywheel + comp stage 3
Magnus CMC
MR rotors & Hawk HP+
KARo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
InfantryMP
[Administrator]
[Local Team Member]
[Powder Coating Guru]

I would def get some if you plan on doing things like that in gravel. The mitsu paint isnt the best, so anything you can do to protect the paint is worth it in the long run, unless you want to spend 3k plus on some body work and a paint job.
InfantryMP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #4
ZLAYER
X-phile

Rhino liner your entire car. It'd be awesome to use this car for what it was intended, but there's just no way around the damage that will ensue.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
turboman
Just Spooling Up

I had Ziebart place the 3M clear protector all over the following:

Entire nose
Up the hood to the vent areas
Mirrors
Both rear door buldge areas (similar to factory protector on the STi just bigger!)
Both dog leg areas to match the door height
Rear rocker moldings to meet where the door covering ends for continuity.

THIS SEEMS TO HELP.

I live on a gravel road but never get over 10 mph LOL.

I had Rally Armor on the ol STI...Helped a lot!

Rally Armor to be installed on the EVO within a few weeks.
turboman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
dkevox
[Team IEG VP]

mudflaps do work. Is it 100% protection though? no

but you should definitely run them if you are going to fly down gravel roads. And it's an evo, that experience you had on the gravel road will stick with you for life, where-as you'll forget and not car about chips on the bbs wheels.

Get mudflaps, and then continue to actually drive the car and appreciate it for what it can do. Very few people ever in their lives could get the opportunity to enjoy the fun that is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus View Post
Hey Ddawgg, you know what would be funny? I'll bring you some Taco Bell breakfast food at Evopalooza, ya know, like a joke. It'll be hilarious, I can't wait....oh...hold on a sec. I got ahead of myself, I forgot your a giagantic douche that would rather go to a wedding then dominate a road course. Nevermind....

---------------------------MY BUILD THREAD--------------------------
dkevox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
r34p3rex
[Local Team Member]

Re: Gravel Road = FUN, FUN = damage :/

Get your car plastidipped with a few layers of clear coat. When the plastidip gets banged up, just peel it off and respray as necessary
agp. fmic ams. cmc kit | fpr kit apr. wind splitter | gtc-300 wing asnu. 1150cc injectors competition. stage 4 clutch | flywheel dw. dw300 enkei. pf01 evo 18x9.5 +22 sbk isc. n1 coilovers perrin. 3-port synapse. synchronic dv tomei. ti exhaust | ti test pipe varis. rear diffuser

sakura. intake | licp | licp | exhaust manifold | downpipe precision. pte 5858 cea v-band turbo tial. mv-r wastegate

E85 ARMY\\\
Instagram: pandapwr

r34p3rex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Bombers Nemesis
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
Get your car plastidipped with a few layers of clear coat. When the plastidip gets banged up, just peel it off and respray as necessary
Yeah! Dip it then whip it!

New catch phrase? I think so.

...You're welcome.

Facebook
Bombers Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
pmckelvey

They def work to an extent for your car sakes. But as for your wheels you're sol
ETS Recirc. downpipe
ETS Intake + UCIP
Cobb XLE Bov (For sale)

08' Evo X R.I.P 8.17.12 (Stolen and Totaled)
pmckelvey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
cire2103
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanEvo2012 View Post
Yesterday was going on a gravel road for the first time in Evo. Decided to see what this car is made for Switched to gravel mode - gave it some gas and immediately the car went sideways - FUN! Tried a few turns sideways and damn this thing is easy to drive - it just is as controllable on gravel as it is on tarmac...

Now the bad part - my rear BBS stock wheels are all chipped from gravel that flew all over the car from my WOT side passes :/ Also, there is a number of scratches on the rear doors and fenders... not cool. Nothing that wasn't worth the fun, but honestly if I will keep doing this, my car will look like a beat up POS in a few runs...

So question, do mudflaps actually work? Is there any other way of protecting the paint and rear wheels?
Always wanted to do this, well thats why these cars were made!
cire2103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement