AMS 750xp vs. Stock frame options? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Turbo
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Turbo Discussion for turbo systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Jaydub514
Just Spooling Up

AMS 750xp vs. Stock frame options?

Hey guys,

Just wanted to get some feedback from all the gurus on this site. I'm trying to narrow down my turbo choices for an upcoming upgrade. My plan is to stick with the stock block and 91 octane. I'm definitely ok with a conservative tune to keep the thing alive. Currently the car has full bolt ons and is making about 340whp/340wtq.

Not wanting to spin the crap out of a smaller turbo and risk anything on pump gas, my choices have been primarily focused on the FP Red (with this latest pricing update however....) Map EF3, and the elephant in the room, the AMS 750 XP kit. One thing that is moving me towards the AMS setup is that I haven't purchased a downpipe yet, so i'm not tied to a stock frame option.

This is not my daily driver, but I'd like to retain decent spool characteristics. From what I have read, all 3 options above can be tuned to about 420whp and 350tq to keep the block intact, which is perfectly fine for me. My main concerns and reliability, longetivity and making sure everything is done once, and done right.

Do you guys think the AMS 750 XP would be a good idea on the stock 2.0 block as far as spool is concerned, or am I better off going with a RED/EF3 + AMS downpipe since my goals aren't that crazy high on stock block? I know the draw to the stock frames are that you can build it piece by piece - but if the AMS is a more solid option overall I'll just save up and do the whole shebang.

Thanks guys!
Jaydub514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
HappyMint
Forum Addict

You'll still have decent spool on the 750 XP on stock block (think 4200ish - 3rd gear), that is what I would go with.

If you plan to do Auto X at all though, skip out on the XP and the EF3 and go with an EF2 or a Green sized turbo.

Bottom line is, the 750 XP is pretty much the best all around turbo kit you can get, hands down as far as I am concerned. Unless having sub 4k spool is a huge concern, there is no where else to look IMO.

EF3 is going to spool pretty close to the 750 XP, and the FP Red only slightly faster.

Build thread with lots of vids:
The Evo X to S2k Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus
I'm drawn to them and cannot turn away. Its the same morbid fascination I'd have while watching a severely retarded person try to pick up a quarter off the street.

Last edited by HappyMint; 02-26-2013 at 05:44 PM.
HappyMint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
08GsrX
X-phile

All depends what you want to do with the car, MAP is amazing and will take real good care of you though. Props for having a good/readable post, those are getting pretty rare around here sadly...
08GsrX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Jaydub514
Just Spooling Up

Thanks guys -- the car used to be my daily driver, but recently i've had the fortune of moving into a role where I get to drive a company car during the week. It's not uncommon to go for 2 weeks at a time before I can hop back in the Evo nowadays, so now that it gets a rest every now and then though it'd be a good idea to start some bigger projects since I can techinically be ok with some inevitible downtime.

That being said, the car will primarily be just to drive around town in and enjoy it performance wise. I may look into doing some beginner track events with friends at some point, but I'd like to keep this car for quite some time and not totally abuse it/extract every last bit out of it by doing track days. I'd gladly trade a bit of spool for a bit more top end...as long as it's safe of course haha.

And yes, the MAP group are a great bunch of guys definitely no worries there!

Really appreciate the great feedback so far fellas. Definitely helps my tossing and turning at night to hear some experiences and thoughts!
Jaydub514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
08GsrX
X-phile

Well in that case, it goes to budget. I'm not 100% sure on prices because I'm too lazy to go look but I'm pretty positive you will save quite a bit of money going with the EF3 over the 750. Both companys have incredible customer service and know what they are doing, both turbos are proven and both within the same category really. So now it's just personal preference.
08GsrX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Bombers Nemesis
X-phile

The AMS is what I would go with. It's praises are sung by quite a few around here. I spoke to my tuner about it and he recommended it as well.

Facebook
Bombers Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
mac11wildcat
[Local Team Member]

the AMS kits are expensive, and as Happy made clear, expensive for a reason. Its the go to kit for people road racing, doing time attacks, etc. AMS's name speaks for itself. If youre only looking for a modest/safe turbo upgrade without building the block, a green/ef2 is probably a decent idea. the red/ef3 would require holding back to save your block.

Probably best to talk to whoever would be doing the tune and discuss it all with them as far as goals, budget, etc.

If youve got the budget for the AMS kit Happy said it all. If not, consider the MAP/FP solution. Although FP's are getting pretty pricey.

4-d just did a 750xp on his built 2.2l. May be a good idea to check that thread out.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Joeyrukkus
Forum Lackey

I really really really wanna see someone try the ETS twin scroll T4 kit like phantom but with a smaller turbo. I wanna see 4-600 hp with sub 4k spool.
You probably have the fastest closet in all of Pa lol
Joeyrukkus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
mac11wildcat
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyrukkus View Post
I really really really wanna see someone try the ETS twin scroll T4 kit like phantom but with a smaller turbo. I wanna see 4-600 hp with sub 4k spool.
i could be convinced :-) but the turbos on that kit dont get much smaller or bigger do they?
Old 02-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
vegittoss15
[Local Team Member]

This is intriguing to me since I'm also looking into that kit. My goals are 550 at the wheels at a minimum on pump.
SC HFC | SC UICP | HKS Hi-Power | KW V3 | SC 2.2 overbore/sleeved motor | Kelford 214C | SC Stage 3 head | FIC 1100 | Boomba fuel pump kit | Defi gauges | Boomba fuel rail | PT6466 T4 Twin Scroll | Full Race mani and downpipe | AEM catch can | custom SC intake | ETS 4" Anodized FMIC | a whole lotta fun
vegittoss15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement