Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Scca ???

4K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  hinduboy74 
#1 ·
Does anyone race in the SCCA? I'm thinking about joining and was wondering if it worth it, and whether or not it takes a ton of time? I saw that they require you to work events, which is no big deal, but I don't want to be gone for 12 hours to autox for 5 minutes...any help is appreciated.

#5 ·
if you only do the morning or the afternoon its only a few hours. the work isn't hard or anything. everyone is very friendly, usually older individuals, over 40 probably avg age. not the type of people that go to "meets", nothing like going drag racing either, these people have actual grey matter in their heads

#6 ·
yea that. Full day is like 12-15 runs, which depending on the course are like about 60 second runs. At least thats my experience in so. cal. It was really fun though and i did a one day membership. I will probably join this year.

#9 ·
oh yea forgot to mention that the 12-15 run day was a practice day before the actual event.

#10 ·
yea and the work is really nothin hard. you just need to stand at a certain corner, maybe with a flag, and pick up cones that get pummelled. mindless work really, just dont get smashed by a car :dancebanana:

#13 ·
I know for SOLO(Auto-X) in NY/NJ you can just go for one day without a SCCA license. You get a "weekend license" which is $15. So around here it would be $15 for the license and $30 for the day. Also they take that $15 and put it toward your annual license, so if you decide to get it, it deducts from your yearly cost.

I went once last year and it was a ton of fun. To be being on cone patrol (working) was awesome. Nothing like watching a Cobra or Lotus zooming past you. I would suggest it to anyone to try it once at least.

#15 ·
SCCA is generally okay in SFR region. There's a new 3x3 rungroup setup which does make things a little better time wise, but still expect to spend some hours out there.

#16 ·
are they helpful in telling you what to do when working, or is it: you FNG, get over there!! I'd actually like to learn more about racing...don't want to slave and not get anything but a bill fro new tires...

#20 ·
depends on how stupid you are. you can fuck up your car, but you probably wont. its not very hard on a car, only a few minutes

#21 ·
The SCCA rule book is pretty hard on Evo's. They lump us in semi-prepared classes, and if you don't have a cat, you automatically get tossed into the full race class(I don't really have a beef with the cat thing). My experience with them has been, with the exception of the Miata guys, who are generally pretty down to earth, is pretty negative. I'm not going to elaborate more.

You are better off finding a local track, and then finding when they have local track days, or what organizations in your area have track days scheduled with them, and get into one of those.

Oh, and expect to beat the hell out of all the wearable components on your car, ie brakes, tires, clutches. I used up 1/3 of the stock street tires, and half of the stock brakes in day. Other than that, the cars are pretty stout, and you shouldn't break anything.

#22 ·
does autox thrash your car????
Auto-X does not - that's all up to the driver!

The SCCA rule book is pretty hard on Evo's. They lump us in semi-prepared classes, and if you don't have a cat, you automatically get tossed into the full race class(I don't really have a beef with the cat thing).
Do you suppose that's because EVOs are generally the TTOD cars? A well-prepared [stock] EVO is generally the fastest or second quickest car at any Auto-X event.

#23 ·
Classing is based on prep. According to the SCCA rule book, stock Evos fall into BS against the STI, S2000 and Boxster S.

Lightly prepped (no engine mods) go into STU against the STI, Mazdaspeed3, BMW M3

Basic engine mods go into BSP and then to SM and onto completely Prepared.

Please review the classing rules sticky: http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426

#27 ·
Bondoa6,

Autoxing is extremely fun, even if you run in the last group and you have to wait longer. Here in Miami the team is super nice, mature guys with tons of experience willing to share and teach. Believe me, it is an awesome experience. I look forward every month for the AutoX, I don't race on the streets, I "decompress" during my five runs, it is worth!

#28 ·
And while it can suck if your car breaks at an autox, it can be so much better than happening at speed on the open road. Not that I'm speaking from experience having done this to a friend's car.....

#29 ·
And while it can suck if your car breaks at an autox, it can be so much better than happening at speed on the open road. Not that I'm speaking from experience having done this to a friend's car.....
Of course... I'll post up pics tonight. We need a smiley that is crying.

#34 · (Edited)
You know what they say "Beat me beat me... it feels so good when you STOP!" :priceless:

#35 ·
on the first practice day of the year in the wet someone really fucked up the front-end of their taurus SHO, but it was how old. that's by far the worst incident ive ever seen at an autocross, keep in mind these are people in prepared cars trying for the fastest time of the day. someone also took off their front bumper in the same spot last year, but ive never seen any other damages. thats from a ditch, after hitting VHT, very slick when wet. it also depends on the site, someone mentioned curbs, yeah DONT HIT THOSE, but usually pretty minimal risk. its all on you, unless someone actually hits you or something

#36 ·
do yourself a favor and use painter's tape! just on your lower front bumper and in front of the right rear passenger wheel. cone scuffs SUCK!

#37 ·
Awesome tip! I just got an Evo X two weeks ago and found out about autox the other day. I am going to try it out when a local club has one in March! It is cool to know there is somewhere i can drive it how it is meant to be driven with out risk of a ticket. I never would have thought about cones scuffing the paint and would have had a hard time explaining that to the dealership for the warranty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.