Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

AWC pump.....protective case/box?

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Ryan P 
#1 ·

My '08 X just starting flashing the tarmac/gravel/snow after being in at the dealer for their "reflash" a couple of months back,so I'm assuming the pump must be gone or going based on threads about it.

At the very end of the above video the guy talks of a protective case for it the older models......anyone know of such for the X?

#2 ·
My pump went out over the super cold spell we had in Germany (got down to -20 celius for a week straight). The guys here took it apart and rebuilt it and I watched. They didn't add new parts. They tore it apart and glass blasted it. Rebuilt and resealed. Then they coated it with this odd spray paint candle wax stuff. I have no idea what it was but they said that it keeps the salt off the pump, and when the pump is working, the wax melts and fills in the cracks.
They told me that is not the cold that destroys the pumps, it is the salt and random sh!t that corodes the alumium and such. they eat away at the pump/seals then on cold days the metal shrinks and then the seals are destroyed. pump can't build pressure and then fails. the candle wax/spray coat stops this.

#4 ·
My car has to deal with a LOT of salt here,so I'm not sure if it was the cold or the salt.The orginal problem happened in the dead of winter during a cold snap,thats when the dealer "reflashed" it to take care of the problem......lucky for me it went out again before the warranty is up in June!Sucks for them,now they have to replace the whole pump.

#7 ·
If it's for an evo IX I doubt it would fit at all. Completely different locations and the pumps are laid out very differently as well.

Here is an idea to at least inhibit a bit of the corrosion if it's not too far gone already. Since I bought my car I've sprayed the pump down with anti-corrosive spray. This stuff more specficially:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

Basically every few months I'll douse the pump in that stuff and let it set up. As of now my pump has a thick coating of sludge on it consisting of oil and dust/dirt. I figure that has to be better than a coating of salt water. It's the same concept of spraying entire undercarriages with oil that people did back in the day. It's ugly, and messy, but it does prevent rust to some degree.

#8 ·
I'm probably going to do this as well on my brand new shiny pump! How much do you use? I see they have 13 oz cans, just wondering how fast you go through them so I know how many I should order.
Thanks Ryan!

Oh and about the Carbing shield, you can get it from Japanparts dot com, it's about $105 + s/h which makes it around $150. Not sure how much protection it will provide as most of the guards I have found are designed for rallying, which means they are more for preventing a huge rock from ripping your pump in half instead of protecting them from dirt and salt.

#9 ·
I just spray it down liberally. Some will drop on the floor, but that's fine. It will eventually set up and after a few sprays and a month or so of driving, you'll start to see it cake up with gunk. At this point you don't need to spray it as often. I bought the 13oz can and that was about 1-1/2 years ago. You'd be fine starting with that.

I agree about the protective cover. The thing is already pretty well protected except at the ends. Short of completely and totally sealing it, which would be a challenge, I don't see how you'd keep the elements completely out. And if you don't get it sealed perfectly, you may trap water or whatever inside which will make matters even worse. Then you might also have issues with it building up heat in the hotter climates. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.