Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Evo X gas mileage?

65K views 242 replies 163 participants last post by  Metal_AF 
#1 ·
I know we don't buy our Evos for gas mileage, but I was curious what everyone is getting. I'm also curious about the gains you get with different mods. Free flowing exhaust, intake, chip, or whatever else seems to help. And, if anyone knows what speed gets them the best fuel economy, I'm interested to know that, too.

I've calculated my gas mileage a few times (dividing the miles by the gallons to refill it), and I've come up with about 23.2miles/gallon for my 5-speed GSR. Better than the EPA rating, but not by much.

I know the owners manual says to go 50mph whenever possible, but if the indicator on the dashboard screen can be believed, my gas mileage STINKS from 50 to 55. There are a few sweet spots in the speed range...one at about 64mph, one a little below 70mph...the best seems to be 44mph. Just like my Nissans, it's the most efficient going as slow as it can in the highest gear. Some of the back roads of FL let me drive that speed when I feel like stopping to "smell the roses."

I've also input my miles and gallons on www.gasaroo.com, and got the same mpg result.

If a $600 computer were to give me an extra 2mpg, a little math tells me it would pay for itself in about 1200 miles.

See less See more
#164 ·
Freebs, I appreciate your US standard conversions. It's sad living in the US I don't have a concept of how far 1km is. I mean I know it's 1000m, and a meter is slightly shorter than a yard,..but it's nice to see the standard numbers without whipping out my calculator :)
Haha no worries. After living in the US for the bit that I did, I just got use to saying things in both miles and kilometers

Reactions: BluEvo210
#10 ·
I am mostly highway, average from 25.5-28 mpg depending on what speed I am carrying. 60-65mph seems to be my most efficient cruising speed. I always catch a section of traffic on my commute which usually brings down my average, but if I get a clean run I am touching the 28 mpg figure. My car is stock with the lastest reflash and a HKS filter.

#15 ·
Let's try this math again now that I'm wide awake...
At $4.10/gal I'd have to save 146 gallons for a $600 computer to pay for itself.

23 mi/gal = 0.04347826 gal/mil
25 mi/gal = 0.04 gal/mi
So, there's a difference of .00347826 gal/mi

If I take 146 gallons, and divide by 0.00347826 gal/mi, the result is 41,975.01 miles.
So, a computer will eventually pay for itself, since I'm going to have the car for more miles than that...

...unless one of these tailgating Floridians totals it.

#33 ·
Let's try this math again now that I'm wide awake...
At $4.10/gal I'd have to save 146 gallons for a $600 computer to pay for itself...
In a way it's too bad gas prices are down again. That makes it much harder to justify the computer to my wife.

On the other hand, she wants power more than I do, so I know we're getting a tuned computer one day! I just have to be patient. ;)

#21 ·
Sigh...I'm afraid to admit what I get... Moderately spirited driving -> 19-20 Litres/100km. That's about 12-13mpg. LOL!!! The BEST I have EVER, EVER gotten was 12L/100km which is about 19.5-20mpg. The worst I've ever gotten was 24L/100km which equates to 9.8 or so mpg.

Oh, and one more thing, this is ALL without hitting speeds of more than 10km over the speed limit. In other words, in city doing 60km/h, etc. etc. Hahahahaha..............*cries* 94 oct. gas cost is killing me...

verkion

#26 ·
Sigh...I'm afraid to admit what I get... Moderately spirited driving -> 19-20 Litres/100km. That's about 12-13mpg. LOL!!! The BEST I have EVER, EVER gotten was 12L/100km which is about 19.5-20mpg. The worst I've ever gotten was 24L/100km which equates to 9.8 or so mpg.

verkion
The conversion from L/100km to mi/gal always frustrates me. You've got my respect for doing it!

I'm glad gas prices have gone down here. Are they going down where you are?

#22 ·
#35 ·
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6462

TRIP 650kms
Averaged 10.3kmsLitre (Could not do better no matter how much I tried)
Averaged 88kms per hour
After Ecutek tune

I am averaging 12.1kms\ltr i ( although I have to sit at 110kms in 5th gear to achieve this - any higher or lower means that a drop in efficiency)
After the ecutek tune I find that sitting at 100kms/hr my rpms are at 2800. 110kms per hour is just a tad over 3000rpm.

#25 ·
all south florida sucky older people driving....i get about 14 mpg all city driving. and i thought i was taking it easy on it. I have only been over 5k rpm's like 5 times.....I'm hopeing a tune and some bolt-ons will help with the mpg... but you know what ur getting when you buy the car. i just hope the bolt-ons and the tune will get me 20mpg city.

#27 ·
Stock I was seeing 14-17 MPG average city driving and 20-21 MPG highway....Ecutek reflash with stock everything and Im seeing a horrible 12-14MPG city and barely 20MPG Highway. Car still runs pig rich and sucks down gas. I was tuned by a very very reputable east coast tuner FYI. Shift points between 4.5-5K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.