Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Rotors, pads & brake lines suggestions in 2015?

26K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  LaughingCow 
#1 ·
Alright so I've read through 100s of threads on here about rotors and pads. The only issue is, most of the threads are from 2010-2013 and most end up in debate of track pads vs street pads

I don't want to sound like a typical newbie, but I'm looking for suggestions that are up to date... As of today in 2015, what are the best STREET rotors, pads and also what are the suggestions on stainless steel lines and what is the best place to get these products from?

I don't track my car and don't need a $3000 big brake upgrade system, looking for stuff that is better than stock Brembo stuff. I've been more than happy with my stock Brembo brakes for the last 1.5 years but it has come to a point where my brake pads are down to a couple of millimeters and it's time to change them. I figured if I'm going to make a brake purchase, might as well purchase everything at once and upgrade while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
Rotors, pads & brake lines suggestions in 2015?

For street rotors I would do Centric premium series blank (plain) rotors, 120 or 125 series etc. The high carbon versions run about $90 a rotor for the fronts. Their premium series have a really nice e-coat that in Chicago winters holds up pretty well and looks far better than a rusty rotor hub. I've used them on several vehicle with good success. For braided ss brake lines almost anything will do. I raced on Technafit lines when I was running the stock Brembos with zero issues. Technafit lines are inexpensive and retain the factory hardline section on the fronts. I can't comment on street pads as I don't have much experience outside of track pads for the Evo. We've only got about 2000 miles on the clock since mine's been turned back into a street car hehe.

#3 ·
I just bought the MAP stage 1 brake upgrade. Has technafit lines, gyrodisk magic pads, and motul brake fluid. I like it so far. But I also drive my car like a granny.

#4 ·
How is the performance comparing to stock? How much was it shipped?

#8 · (Edited)
I purchased the MAP kit also. Good price for pads/SS lines/fluid. It was time to change my pads and I also wanted to get SS lines. I think everyone's opinion is going to be subjective regarding rotors/pads/lines. Personally, the Girodisc pads are horrible. Initial bite is well below the stock pads. These pads also suck in the rain. When you first press the pedal (while driving in the rain), it feels like you have no brakes. I also tried Stoptech pads. These are decent pads, but still less initial bite then the stockers. I am going for the DBA slotted rotors with Hawk HPS pads when these are done. I had this setup on my STi, along with SS lines, and it felt/braked great. I haven't installed the SS lines that come in the kit yet, but what I like about the Technafit lines is that they keep the hardline that goes to the caliper. Some kits replace both lines.
Alot of people seem to like Ferodo pads. FYI - the stock pads are made by Ferodo.

#6 ·
What pads though? I'm looking to get better pads than stock, equivalent isn't an upgrade lol.

#7 ·
I always thought Girodisc rotors are the best price vs performance upgrade to our cars. And do the ss brake lines, I have Goodridge, and buy a better brake pad like Ferodo DS2500 or PMU HC+.

#9 ·
Agreed. Girodisc rotors are lighter (19.4 lbs vs stock 23.5 lbs front / 13.4 lbs vs stock 18.6 lbs rear) and also cool themselves better.:thumbup:

Nevertheless, I advise against buying Girodisc rotors for the street. A good set of pads and stainless steel brake lines, working with the stock Brembo and discs, should be plenty for street driving of any sort. You do not need aftermarket rotors for the street.

#11 ·
I run DBA 5000 rotors. They're another option for a two-piece rotor. I use the StopTech 309 pads and the StopTech SS lines. Pedal feel is great, very progressive, but good initial bite. They do take a bit of warming up on a cold day, but otherwise they're great.

#21 ·
Some blanks, quality pads and fluid; maybe lines. I think most people get carried away with brakes and then hate how the car drives. You want pads for YOUR application. I see it all too frequently that people get track specs brakes for the street and then can't stop. The stock brakes are pretty dang good, I would say very few people on here can even max out the stock stuff. If you are doing some track time then maybe upgrade the pads and they will fade out a little when heated.

#23 ·
I ended up going with the EBC high carbons, BSD7642 and 7643. They look real cool, and I have run them on other cars too with good results. They’re “higher carbon” so should perform better long term. Paired them with ebc yellows. I like em. I find them a good upgrade over stock without getting into some crazy 3k brake set that I wouldn’t fully take advantage of.

#24 ·
I ended up going with the EBC high carbons, BSD7642 and 7643. They look real cool, and I have run them on other cars too with good results. They’re “higher carbon” so should perform better long term. Paired them with ebc yellows. I like em. I find them a good upgrade over stock without getting into some crazy 3k brake set that I wouldn’t fully take advantage of.

#26 ·
I'm currently considering purchasing Girodisc S/S Front & Rear Brake Pads paired with Girodisc Front & Rear Slotted 2pc Rotors.

Trying to locate Girodisc Stainless Steel Braided Lines as well.

#27 ·
Just purchased mine from AMS and now looking for some solid brake pads. Who knew the dealership would go nuts with the pricing on stock; they pulled me to the parts department and told me I may as well upgrade. Better parts with better pricing. Sigh... :angrydomo:

#32 ·
I was thinking of going with a set of rotorpro slotted rotors with brake man #93 pads - does anyone have any experience with these pads? I'm sort of torn between them and the hawk 5.0 - my evo is my daily driver, so I definitely don't need something too track oriented.

Also, (pretty sure I know the answer already, but figured I'd ask anyway) is there any benefit to slotted + dimpled over just slotted? Only reason I'm looking into slotted rotors is because I've had a few instances of what feels like moisture build up between my stock pads and rotors when driving in the rain/snow. After a long stretch on the highway, I'd start to brake to get off and would feel nothing; a few quick pumps always remedy the situation and get the brakes to bite like normal, but I was thinking maybe slotted rotors would help alleviate this. I was just wondering if slotted + dimpled would help or if the dimples are really just for vanity.

#35 ·
I've run Hawk HP+ and HP 5.0 on different cars and personally have never been blown away by the increase in braking.

I have been annoyed by the noise and brake dust on both sets however. I may have neglected to break in the first set of HP+ but the 5.0s were broken in properly, still noisy. Never heard of BrakeMan but MAperformance carries them and they seem to be a great reference.

On the note of rotors, slotted or dimpled, with modern pads, Ive yet to see them provide any kind of real benefit.

Your ''moisture buildup'' sounds a lot more like air in the brake system. Brake fluid should be changed and bled once per year, it is often overlooked.
Make sure you do this before wasting money or pads and rotors you dont need.

#34 ·
I took the brakes out on all 4 corners, and thoroughly cleaned each caliper with a toothbrush and brass bristle brush to remove all the brake dust. I also brushed off the brake pads, and blew the facings off. Once I cleaned all of that, and re-greased all the caliper contact points, and brake pad slide points, I haven't had a single squeal out of them.

This is on a stock set of "Brembo" Ferrodo pads, and stock rotors, roughly 75k miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.