Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

Replacement idler/tensioner pulleys for evo x

19K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  PNTYWTR 
#1 · (Edited)
So I just wanted to post up about my recent replacement of the tensioner and idler pulleys. I know people talk about going to the Hyundai dealer and getting them and paying close to $200.

I was never aware of the problem with the plastic oem ones (surprisingly considering how much I'm on here). So as others have had happen it shredded on my on the way home this week. Towed the car home and got to work the next day.

I wasn't really a fan of wasting $200 for this so I thought I would look for other options. I found that autozone sells metal pulleys for the genesis coupe for around $16. So I went and picked up 3 of them, the belt, and a 5/8 copper washer. Pulley is Part Number: 231052 @ autozone.

Install was simple remove the 2 idler pulleys and replace with the new metal ones. The tensioner is reverse threaded and you remove the plastic one, place copper washer on the tensioner followed by the pulley. Then tighten, put new belt on and your done.

The top idler pulley barely makes contact on the motor side. So you can either very slightly grind it down before putting it on or the lazy road I took and just leave it. After about 75 miles you barely hear it because it's already ground it's self down and soon I'm sure it won't make a sound.

So all the parts only cost me $85 vs just the pulleys for $100 more or some of the kits you can buy which cost over $250.

I will update if anything changes or if I have any problems to warn for those who do it in the future.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice work man. thanks for posting this. I've been debating replacing mine, now I'll be updating for sure. Any pics of the dead, old pulleys?

#3 ·
The middle and the right were the idler pulleys and the left was the tensioner. The tensioners wear was all in the middle and both idlers wore evenly. You can see how much the idler pulleys have been worn when comparing to the tensioner. My car is just under 60k miles.

#5 ·
I noticed occasionally the belt was slightly off the power steering pulley. But other than that no. Just driving normally and I started hearing something making a clunking noise in the engine bay and that was all.

#9 ·
The top idler pulley barely makes contact on the motor side. So you can either very slightly grind it down before putting it on or the lazy road I took and just leave it. After about 75 miles you barely hear it because it's already ground it's self down and soon I'm sure it won't make a sound.
Any contact at all on the two static idlers means poor quality control in the product - maybe swapping around the idlers around will give you the clearances you need?

The only one that needs any adjustment, when using real Hyundai idlers, is the idler mounted on the tensioner assembly.

#15 ·
Good thread. I've been looking into taking care of this before it takes care of me...

#16 ·
What belt did you get? I was looking at this one... [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Gates-K061033-Multi-V-Groove-Belt/dp/B000C2YCUU/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Mitsubishi%7C72&Model=Lancer%7C307&Year=2008%7C2008&carId=002&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]

#24 ·
well wasted my money on the autozone pulleys. Cobb just called me mid sevice and said that all the pulleys fit too deep and were making contact or some crap. Well that was wasted cash. I do not recommend the autozone parts for this job.

#27 · (Edited)
Like I said in the post "The top idler pulley barely makes contact on the motor side. So you can either very slightly grind it down before putting it on or the lazy road I took and just leave it. After about 75 miles you barely hear it because it's already ground it's self down and soon I'm sure it won't make a sound."

Then the washer on the tensioner and they are fine. Mine are still good after 6-8k miles.

Unless you got the wrong ones.

#25 ·
Sux man. I kind of feel some kind of way about auto zone (or equivalent) parts but that could just be me being stupid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#29 ·
Im using the autozone pulleys and i've driven 600 miles with no issues. It makes a slight noise when i start the car but goes away after a couple of minutes.

My first belt got shredded, and my second one was showing wear as well so i had no other choice but to install the pulleys. I only replaced the idlers, not the tensioner, pretty easy install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.