Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

MAP cast manifold

6K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  turismolover22 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This is the first time I've see them selling seconds.....

"For these blemished manifolds, we cut out the section that is blocked by casting defects, port out the area and weld it back together."

So, the main reason most people like the cast manifold is that it's a monolithic piece vs. a collection of pipe welded together, reducing the risk of cracking. I'd imagine there's a slightly higher chance of the manifold having cracks at the welds than the non-blem pieces but the manifold in the pic looks like it has quality welds going for it so it's probably a great option if the price makes it work for your budget.

#6 ·
Solid purchase then! If the entire runner structure and merge are cast in one piece you should have a solid and reliable manifold. The weight of a turbo exerts quite a bit of stress in those areas.

#8 ·
When I took a look at it all the runners seemed smooth. There were no signs of welding inside and out.

When I called them last week, they said it was on back order and will be shipped out when the next batch of manifolds were complete which is pretty funny because they sold me a "blemished" manifold before it was even made. :wtfsign:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.