Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

PLEASE HELP!!! 2008 EVO Mechatronics

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  CanEvo2012 
#1 ·
Hi, I am looking at buying a 2008 Evo X MR
The seller tells me the cars "mechatronics is broken" i.e. it won't plug in and is missing a pin??

I know nothing of the SST tranny. Is this a serious issue that would be costly or is this something that can be replaced or repaired within reason.
I have a chance to buy the car fairly cheap but don't want to waste the money if the repair would be unbelievably expensive. He tells me this is the only issue with the car but recommends I trailer it home as I live 600 miles from where the car is located.

Any useful feedback at all will be greatly appreciated!! I really want an Evo but don't want to get myself in bad spot and waste money.

Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
How much is he asking for the car?

And how close are you to Houston, TX?

I don't know what a valve body/mechatronic unit replacement costs in terms of labor but brand new it's over $2000 just for the part. At that point you're better off buying a whole new refurbished transmission from Kozmic for 5-7k + the labor to replace it. If you're close to SSP or Kozmic, you might consider the car. If you're not, forget it.

Unless they want $5000 for it, I would never ever buy a car that knowingly has SST issues.

#3 ·
Hi, I am looking at buying a 2008 Evo X MR
The seller tells me the cars "mechatronics is broken" i.e. it won't plug in and is missing a pin??

I know nothing of the SST tranny. Is this a serious issue that would be costly or is this something that can be replaced or repaired within reason.
I have a chance to buy the car fairly cheap but don't want to waste the money if the repair would be unbelievably expensive. He tells me this is the only issue with the car but recommends I trailer it home as I live 600 miles from where the car is located.

Any useful feedback at all will be greatly appreciated!! I really want an Evo but don't want to get myself in bad spot and waste money.

Thank you in advance!

How much is he asking for the car?

And how close are you to Houston, TX?

I don't know what a valve body/mechatronic unit replacement costs in terms of labor but brand new it's over $2000 just for the part. At that point you're better off buying a whole new refurbished transmission from Kozmic for 5-7k + the labor to replace it. If you're close to SSP or Kozmic, you might consider the car. If you're not, forget it.

Unless they want $5000 for it, I would never ever buy a car that knowingly has SST issues.
I am located in KY and he has agreed to $5500 for the car.

#4 ·
I am located in KY and he has agreed to $5500 for the car.

How many miles? If the engine is in good shape you could probably part out the car for more than what you paid, if you're into that. If it's a clean title, a rolling shell would sell for more than that so the price has me a bit skeptical.

If you're really interested I'd call up either Kozmic Motorsports or Ivey Tune (may be closer for you, but Kozmic is the go to) for their opinion, and what the baseline for repairing a bad mechatronic unit is so you have an idea of how much you'll need to fork to get it repaired.

#5 ·
The car has 104k miles and the guy recovers vehicles. So he can only offer a bill of sale. The title situation being already skeptical is worry enough. I want the car to keep and have no plans on selling it so even if recovering the title resulted in a salvage status the car would be still be of value to me since I plan to keep it. Mainly just trying to get an X running on the street and reliable for no more than 10k that doesn't have 200,000 miles! I'll definitely give Kozmic a call and see what they have to say about it!

#6 ·
Sounds like a plan. There's a difference between it being Salvage because it was Repo'd and Salvage because it was totaled, so if the title was "Clean" before, it just means it was (probably) not in any major accidents.

Definitely call up those guys, they should be able to tell right away if it's worth your time/money. And if it is I'd probably just ship it straight there instead of towing it to your home first :) That way you can get it reconditioned, the fork magnets fixed and a clutch pack that can take more power. Because even if you don't think you'll mod the car... trust me, you'll mod the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.