Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

big dilemma: low oil pressure..THOUGHTS?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JDMV8 
#1 ·
hi guys.

my car shut off out of nowhere when I came to a stop and it barely restarted. I noticed the engine temp growing quickly by ~1 degree/sec, so I pulled over.

No leaks, oil level is fine. I start the car and notice 2psi of oil pressure at 500rpm. no engine noises yet.

I had to get home, and limped myself home staying between 1k-2.5k of RPM. Going over 2.5k RPM resulted in rapid engine temp rising, and going under 1k stalled the car. I had super low oil pressure limping back home. Stop lights and traffic were a pain, as I modulated gas pedal for the car not to die. The engine developed a rattling/ticking noise which was exacerbated with giving it any throttle. codes: P0365, P0011, P0014 (mivec control valve issue)?

This has all happened after I got my valve cover powdercoated. There seemed to be some sandblast material in the baffles (don't know if this is related to my problem).

TL;DR:
-oil level fine
-no leaks
-no oil visibly being burnt
-low oil pressure
-car stalls <1k rpm
-car gets hot >2.5k rpm
-p0365,p0011,p0014 (mivec issue?)
-valve cover was powdercoated prior (sandblast material in baffles)
-rattling/ticking noise that is exacerbated with giving it gas
-AFRs looks fine, and the car can build boost

any help whatsoever is appreciated..entirely bummed out.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had to get home,
Call a tow truck.
The engine developed a rattling/ticking noise which was exacerbated ...
Game Over, Dude!
This has all happened after I got my valve cover powdercoated. There seemed to be some sandblast material in the baffles
I've seen this movie before.

ALWAYS disassemble and clean EVERYTHING that had been media blasted. Clean it multiple times before allowing it to be in the same room as an engine.

If a part or assembly can't be cleaned, do not blast it.

#3 ·
Call a tow truck.
Game Over, Dude!
I've seen this movie before.

ALWAYS disassemble and clean EVERYTHING that had been media blasted. Clean it multiple times before allowing it to be in the same room as an engine.

If a part or assembly can't be cleaned, do not blast it.
it was supposed to be prepped by the powdercoater. I'm going to get an oil analysis.

#5 ·
first time and lesson learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.