pulley noise? Part 1345A159?? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Engine (4B11T)
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Engine (4B11T) Discussion for engine systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
jgronline

pulley noise? Part 1345A159??

I have a 2014 GSR with just 31K miles on it. I was getting some noise on cold startups every now and then. It usually happened after I had driven the car for at least 1 hour and then parked the car. The next day, I would get some bearing noise from the timing belt area for 5 to 10 seconds.

It sounds just like this:

I had the serpentine belt, two pulleys, and the tensioner replaced by the dealer because I wanted to use OEM parts. I know about the Hyundai parts but I don't put a lot of miles on my car and I don't have many mods so I thought OEM was best.

I had this work done in August of 2018 and this issue still comes up. I parked it for a week at the airport, got in and it made the noise longer than anytime before. It settled down after 15 seconds. It isn't a constant belt slip sound either. It sounds like a bad bearing.

Mitsu used 2 1341A029 pulleys which matches what I've found online. The tensioner part they used is 1345A159 which isn't listed for my car. It might be an old part number or the wrong one? I think it is supposed to be 1345A052 but maybe they just entered the wrong or old part number.

So, what else could this noise be? Should I just upgrade to the Hyundai pulleys because this still sounds like a bad Mitsu pulley? Or maybe it is something else spinning like the PS pump or alternator?

Anyone else have trouble fixing this?
jgronline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
adi105

Lots of people, myself included, just upgraded to new OEM idler pullies with no squeak. I donít think those are usually the culprit of the squeaks. Try and listen to where the squeak is coming from specifically and replace things in that area. Pulley issues are the worst to deal with.

MODS:
Built 2.0 Shortblock, Wiseco 9.3:1 Pistons, Built by MAPerformance
GSC S2 Cams w/ Beehive Springs
ETS 3" Intake | ETS 3" IC Piping | Turbosmart 3-Port BOV (Red Spring) | GS 3-Port EBCS | AEM 340 FP | ID1300 Injectors | Ported MHI 18k Turbo | WTF Flex Fuel Kit | Muse 4" Intercooler | Muse O2 Dump 3" Downpipe | ETS 3" Test Pipe | Magnaflow Muffler

"Live life one gear at a time."
adi105 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
OortCloud
n00b

Following
OortCloud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
jgronline

It did it again this morning. I had driven about 60 miles yesterday which is a lot more than usual for me. I usually just drive for about 30 minutes and on those days, it doesn't make any noise on startup. It only happens after the car has been at normal operating temperature for an extended period of time.

It almost sounds like air in some line and it definitely sounds like it is coming from the pulley area. It doesn't last long enough to pinpoint it.

Maybe there is some air in the coolant system? I have plenty of coolant in the overflow which I thought would bleed itself as the coolant gets hot and it should push the air out.

Maybe it is the water pump or oil pump?
Old 05-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #5
jgronline

I have good news and bad news. The good news is, I figured out what the noise is. The bad news is, I paid the dealership to replace the tensioner and they didn't! They replaced the pulleys but not the tensioner. That is probably why they put some bogus part number of my receipt.

The belt tensioner is bad. It is the spring inside the tensioner that is making the noise. It happens after the car gets completely warmed up and then stopped so it can cool down. On cold start, it will make noise.

On a side note, it is a pain in the ass to replace! You have to remove the power steering pump and move the alternator out of the way to make room for the tensioner to be removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement