Took 2015 EVO GSR to track, former STI owner - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:34 PM   #1
PracticalDriver

Took 2015 EVO GSR to track, former STI owner

Earlier this month I took my 2015 EVO X GSR to my home track, Road America. Between my 2013 and 2015 STIs, I estimate I have roughly 400+ laps there. My best lap times in my 2015 STI (stock power, 22mm rear swaybar, alignment, racing pads) are as follows:

- OEM tires: 2:45.9
- NT01s: 2:42.3

I characterize the STIs handling as very safe and predictable, with the predominant handling trait being understeer in the slow speed corners (mitigated somewhat with trail braking), and excellent high speed stability through the fast sweeping corners.

Save for front camber bolts and a dialed in alignment, racing pads, and Schroth 4 point harness (the '15 seats suck hairy monkey ballz), my EVO X is completely stock. On the very first session the EVO's handling felt NERVOUS as all hell compared to the STI. I had the rear end step out on me in places (The Carousel, The Kink) where its never happened in the STI before. I come in after that first session, somewhat upset at the EVO's strange handling, and check my timing app, and already I've ran a 2:45.6, already 0.3 seconds ahead of the STI's best time on the OEM tires. Throughout the rest of day 1 I had requests for ride alongs, and with a passenger in the vehicle, I took it on the safe side. My best time at the end of the day with a passenger: 2:45.1.

I go to sleep and wake up the next day and like magic, the EVO just started giving me confidence. At the limit where the STI hangs on with no more to give, the EVO's steering and throttle inputs combine to give that extra degree of adjust ability. In the slow corners the EVO will understeer, but I found trail braking and then letting off the throttle induces the rear end to rotate in a way the STI couldn't do. Then it's full throttle before the APEX to rocket on out of there. Within my first two sessions on day 2, I ran a best of 2:42.6, demolishing the STI's time by 3.3 seconds, and within 0.3 seconds of the STI's time on NT01s.

To be completely fair, I feel that the EVO has a tire advantage on the STI where the OEM tires are concerned. The EVOs tires though, are no where near as grippy as an NT01, which I think would drop at least another 2 seconds.

Mind you I'm just Joe Average HPDE driver, so take my results with a grain of salt. But in my hands, the EVO was 3.3 seconds faster around a 4.0 mile road course.

Videos:

Head to Head lap comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07FhEyRMHiU

My fastest lap, from the perspective of my buddy in a 420 whp, corn fed BMW 335i. His best was a 2:37.1, which is impressive considering he had never been to RA prior.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv7f4gYYz58
PracticalDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #2
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Way to use Evo for what it's for I am sure you are just starting there ;D

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #3
PracticalDriver

Indeed, she's up on 4 jack stands with stage 3 goodies installed

Old 01-02-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
pbasil1
Just Spooling Up

Congrats! And welcome to the EVO world!
pbasil1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Hispanic Panic
X-phile

This is wonderful feedback. Thank you for sharing.

I rode in my friends highly modified gc8 on track and i was jealous how responsive the front end was. His stats were ~270 hp to the wheels and a 2800 curb weight. I never got a chance to run my evo against his, but it was a good setup indeed. Made me begin to doubt myself untill i came across your thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.
Hispanic Panic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2016, 04:27 AM   #6
colorblind

good lines!
Old 04-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
stEVOlution Z
[Local Team Member]

did you touch the electronic assist button at all? (left of the steering wheel).... or did you push the button once before each lap? (off)... or hold it for a few seconds before each lap? (off-off).

2014 PB Evo X GSR - Bone Stock Daily
stEVOlution Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2016, 01:40 AM   #8
PracticalDriver

I drove in OFF mode (not OFF OFF). Still had the AYC brake working for me. I'm a huge Best motoring buff and saw how even in the hands of a professional, the AYC brake helped to set a faster lap time.

Going to Road America this weekend, now with about 320 whp and BFG Rival tires. Hopefully no rain so that I can run at least a 2:39.x.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement