First track day basics? - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
btownsoccer22
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uscbryan View Post
Holding my own in that I won't be dangeriously slow. I'll learn the track, get my lines down, find my turn in points, apex and exit points then work on getting the throttle down sooner and sooner on corner exit. After I'm hitting my apex consistently I'll move on to braking points later and later. and progressively go faster as I feel comfortable.

Most people are telling me not to use street pads on the track. Is there harm in using track pads for the track?
Don't use street pads because you will overcook them. If you know you are going to do more track days down the road then go ahead and buy a good track pad. But if you will do one a year or something then get a dual purpose pad. A aggressive street pad. I did my first track day with DS2500 like 5-6 years ago.

And you will most likely have one of the faster cars. My first track day I was with Cavaliers, Civics, Miatas, etc.
btownsoccer22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

I currently have Stoptech. I was looking at the Raybestos ST43 for the track.
thebearjew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 12:54 AM   #13
Ttsumibishi
[Detailing Moderator]
[Local Team Mod]
[Bone Closet Mod]

Definitely track pads, and make sure everything is in order before you go. Good brake fluid for the track, tires in good condition. Focus more on learning the course, lines, when to brake, when to accelerate, when and how to turn, than speed. Speed comes last.

Oh, and don't crash. That's a biggun.
Ttsumibishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
GotKT?
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Holding my own in that I won't be dangeriously slow. I'll learn the track, get my lines down, find my turn in points, apex and exit points then work on getting the throttle down sooner and sooner on corner exit. After I'm hitting my apex consistently I'll move on to braking points later and later. and progressively go faster as I feel comfortable.

Most people are telling me not to use street pads on the track. Is there harm in using track pads for the track?
I did my first five track days on the stock pads with no issues. Make sure brake fluid is at least half way between min and max because it will drop as you wear the pads and you'll get a warning light when you brake deep. Also, get an instructor your first time out. Otherwise, pick the brain of other drivers with more experienced on that specific track.

Finally got all of the track mods and am looking forward to performance mods.

SSP Cooler, Kozmic Surge Tank, Grimspeed 3-port, Stock suspension, DBA 5000 front and DBA 4000 rear, ST43 pads (track), Stopteck (not track), PSS on Konig Miligrams (track), RE970 on Enkei Raijins (not track)
GotKT? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

What about taping the front of the car? Is that needed?
Old 12-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #16
GotKT?
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
I currently have Stoptech. I was looking at the Raybestos ST43 for the track.
Thats what I (and alot of others) run on the track. Ther're great but be carful. If you're too agressive on them you will over heat at best and trash your rotors at worst. Been there, done that, paid the bill$$$

Finally got all of the track mods and am looking forward to performance mods.

SSP Cooler, Kozmic Surge Tank, Grimspeed 3-port, Stock suspension, DBA 5000 front and DBA 4000 rear, ST43 pads (track), Stopteck (not track), PSS on Konig Miligrams (track), RE970 on Enkei Raijins (not track)
GotKT? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotKT? View Post
Thats what I (and alot of others) run on the track. Ther're great but be carful. If you're too agressive on them you will over heat at best and trash your rotors at worst. Been there, done that, paid the bill$$$
Thanks. Still running stock rotors. On my second set of pads. Looking for a reason to upgrade to Girodisk, just can't get myself to do it yet since there is still a lot of life in the pads.

Maybe after a track day I will have my excuse.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:15 AM   #18
evo101
X-phile

Quote:
What about taping the front of the car? Is that needed?
?
evo101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #19
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo101 View Post
?
Not sure what the ? Was for.

I noticed blue tape covering the front of cars at track days. Some even have it along the sides I assume to keep from getting chips in the paint. Wanted to know if it's needed.

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #20
surensm
Forum Lackey

^^ for big willow. Check out his other vids.
2002 Porsche 911 996 Carrera - Daily

Last edited by surensm; 12-27-2013 at 03:42 AM.
surensm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement