Track Maintenance... the day after - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:14 AM   #11
GotKT?
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMint View Post
I was checking my manifold bolts in between sessions, they loosen VERY quickly and easily. You risk losing bolts / studs during the day if you don't check them.
Just curious how do you check to bolts from top or put the car up and check from the bottom. Also would like to know if anyone has had the exhaust manifold come loose?

Un fortunately, I'm too late in asking these questions. I was on my last lap on second of two days at Thunder Hill a couple of weeks ago. I got ABS an AYC service soon warnings and when I came off the track my exhaust was sounding much louder than normal. Turns out, the exhaust manifold came loose and the hot exhaust blew an hole in the heat shielding and melted the wire harness and fried the ABS controller. Last week I was also informed by my mechanic that the exhaust manifold is warped.

Also, I had just gotten a 3-port and a tune a few days before going to the track. Is there any way that this could be related? I have no other intake or exhaust mods.

Finally got all of the track mods and am looking forward to performance mods.

SSP Cooler, Kozmic Surge Tank, Grimspeed 3-port, Stock suspension, DBA 5000 front and DBA 4000 rear, ST43 pads (track), Stopteck (not track), PSS on Konig Miligrams (track), RE970 on Enkei Raijins (not track)
GotKT? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 AM   #12
razorlab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotKT? View Post
Just curious how do you check to bolts from top or put the car up and check from the bottom. Also would like to know if anyone has had the exhaust manifold come loose?

Un fortunately, I'm too late in asking these questions. I was on my last lap on second of two days at Thunder Hill a couple of weeks ago. I got ABS an AYC service soon warnings and when I came off the track my exhaust was sounding much louder than normal. Turns out, the exhaust manifold came loose and the hot exhaust blew an hole in the heat shielding and melted the wire harness and fried the ABS controller. Last week I was also informed by my mechanic that the exhaust manifold is warped.

Also, I had just gotten a 3-port and a tune a few days before going to the track. Is there any way that this could be related? I have no other intake or exhaust mods.
Turbo ever been off or still untouched OEM turbo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
razorlab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
GotKT?
Just Spooling Up

It's stock everything, except a 3-port and a 25 psi tune. Searched through some older threads an found several reports of exhaust leaks while tracking. Wish I'd read those threads before and taken this one more seriously. I guess after 3 1/2 years and 20+ track days, I gotta start looking for these things.

Finally got all of the track mods and am looking forward to performance mods.

SSP Cooler, Kozmic Surge Tank, Grimspeed 3-port, Stock suspension, DBA 5000 front and DBA 4000 rear, ST43 pads (track), Stopteck (not track), PSS on Konig Miligrams (track), RE970 on Enkei Raijins (not track)
GotKT? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 07:56 PM   #14
Highgain10
Just Spooling Up

It sounds cliche but you should check everything, I mean everything after a track weekend. After I started time trials in the Evo I would get it up on jack stands and take the time to literally go over everything putting my hands and eyeballs on everything front to back, especially if the weekend involved an off-track excursion. Now I'm not talking about checking the torque on every nut and bolt but you should get the gist. One tips and tricks bit for you: Get the car up in the air with the wheels on. Grab said wheels and try to move them checking for bearing or suspension issues. Also give them a spin again listening for anything beyond the usual rotor dragging. The post race weekend inspection is a crap ton easier now that I'm doing it on an old ass carbureted race car hehe. Takes me half the time to go over it then it did on the Evo.
NASA Midwest CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge) #221
-'84 Camaro (wheel to wheel)
Previous:
NASA Midwest Time Trials TTB #221
-Evo retired from racing and back to street duty with
a baby seat in the back (Yes, it's a Recaro)
Highgain10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 PM   #15
Z K
Forum Lackey

Quote:
It's stock everything, except a 3-port and a 25 psi tune. Searched through some older threads an found several reports of exhaust leaks while tracking. Wish I'd read those threads before and taken this one more seriously. I guess after 3 1/2 years and 20+ track days, I gotta start looking for these things.
I blew my exhaust manifold gasket at Laguna Seca when I tracked there. My car was completely stock with a Bryan tune. Seems exhaust manifold issues happen when you increase the boost. I felt the car lose power and the engine sounded loud when it happened. GST diagnosed the issue and replaced the gasket along with a few studs which snapped off when they tried to remove the manifold.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:50 AM   #16
GoodTimes
Just Spooling Up

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I blew my exhaust manifold gasket at Laguna Seca when I tracked there. My car was completely stock with a Bryan tune. Seems exhaust manifold issues happen when you increase the boost. I felt the car lose power and the engine sounded loud when it happened. GST diagnosed the issue and replaced the gasket along with a few studs which snapped off when they tried to remove the manifold.
Just curious how many miles did you guys have on your car at this time? I'm at 40,000 miles tuned at 25psi on 100oct?
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #17
Hispanic Panic
X-phile

I don't do anything if i don't have to. But i usually check fluid levels. Every now and then i'll inspect spark plugs. I changed my SST oil after 4 trackdays and it was still brand new. Total waste of 250 dollars..... That shit could last like 7 or 8 probably. SSt spits oil out the breather so you may have to top off every 2-3 trackdays. I change my oil ever 4 trackdays and i run Rotella T6 full synthetic 5w-40. I need to get that stuff analyzed though, real talk. I'll usually visually inspect my rotors for cracks, This is quick and easy. I also visually inspect tires and engine bay. Outside of oil changes, this takes me a total of 5 minutes. I don't do anything i don't have to because i'm a lazy mexican. I check tire pressures after the 1st session. I get my car aligned AFTER every event, which means it'll be good for the next one so i'm not rushing the day/week before. I run endurance track pads so i don't have to change pads between events. They have the track life of 3 sets of normal track pads, and they work when cold so i don't have to swap pads between events. Endurance pads are really a no brainer.

Other than that, i do nothing for regular maintenance. Though shit always pops up when you track... all of that stuff is a case by case basis. Recently i've had alignment problems. I've also had power steering problems. The hardline that goes from the left to the right side of the rack keeps developing irreparable leaks. Tuner suspects its from heat cycling because the downpipe is 4 inches away. I've replaced this line twice in the last 6 months and have now wrapped my downpipe. We'll see if it pops up again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
Quote:
Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.
Hispanic Panic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2015, 11:07 PM   #18
merlion

I just did a 4 session track day. Post track day check indicates that I have leaky exhaust manifold, I see black soot below the exhaust manifold area. Also, downpipe area sound louded than usual and i can smell exhaust fume/fuel when I get my wife to step on accelerator on idle. Looks like I need to replace the gasket.
FYI. I have the MAPerformance EF2.5 turbo.
merlion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 AM   #19
Og Neon
Just Spooling Up

Check your turbo to manifold bolts. Those are a common sore spot for those of us who have removed or replaced the stock turbo. I have lost a couple of bolts after track days there.
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #20
merlion

Og_Neon, I checked the turbo to manifold bolt and they are tight. I have gone ahead to remove all the exhaust manifold and turbo manifold bolts.

I searched the forums and ordered a metric stud remover, its all good...

Last edited by merlion; 08-22-2015 at 07:31 PM.
merlion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement