Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Forum banner

rear diff conversion

22K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  turismolover22 
#1 ·
I know this might have been posted but I got a 14 evo with about 13k miles. My rear diff cracked about 5 months ago and my car has been sitting. All I have is the ams intake and access port ots tune. I was thinking of doing the 8/9 conversion. My axles are fine so can I just buy the mounting plate from the factory for the 8/9 and use my axles I have now. Also can anyone link a diy guide. And my last question is fluid I should fill the diff with. If anyone has any other options that may be better feel free to advise me

#2 · (Edited)
#6 ·
You can use any 8/9 rear diff with the ralliart or shep axles and you need the mounting bracket that shep sells too

#9 ·
Not if you buy the ralliart diff, it bolts right up.

I'd buy an eBay x diff for 800 bucks and send the other off for a build.
I've had decent luck on mine though I know its time is due.
The X diff case is not that strong

#8 ·
I'd buy an eBay x diff for 800 bucks and send the other off for a build.
I've had decent luck on mine though I know its time is due.

#10 ·
The ralliart diff bolts right up. No axle swaps or anything ?

Yeah I know our diff's arnt the best. Reminds me of the 03 cobra differentials. Simply swap out to the gt rear end for the easiest fix cheapest fix .

#12 ·
Do the ralliart diffs have the clutch plates arranged from the factory in the same order as the 8/9 diffs? I know on the 8/9 diffs you can rearrange the clutch plates in order to get more lock up with it and create more power oversteer and improve overall handling.

#17 ·
I had a rear diff fail on me, I bought a used one from ebay, and I am paranoid about diff failure, but if it happens should I look for a ralliart rear diff?
Does the ralliart rear diff maintains the yaw control?

#18 ·
I had a rear diff fail on me, I bought a used one from ebay, and I am paranoid about diff failure, but if it happens should I look for a ralliart rear diff?
Yes

Does the ralliart rear diff maintains the yaw control?
No, it has a Limited slip differential

#22 ·
I know this is an old thread but I need to know somethings if possible. Okay so I have the evo 8 rear diff already mounted with the conversion bracket. I was misinformed previously and was told that evo 8 axles will work which they didint. The axles basically just sheared of the splins on themselves because of the axle spline being to small. Now the real question is will oem raliart axles work for my application. Thank you guys in advance.

#28 ·
ok I hate to bring this up but I looked on the how to and there isn't a topic on it. I'm going to purchase a evo 9 rear diff, then order the mounting bracket directly from mitsubishi, changing my adapter from the 9 to the x so it can mount on my driveshaft or use the evo 8 bolts, what else is needed ???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.