Climate control color changes - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Vanity
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Vanity Discuss body kits, wings, interior mods, etc having to do with the appearance of the Evo X. Do NOT post detailing threads here.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
on2it
Dr. Evo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalcode View Post
I actually just did that last week. If your not handy with a soldering iron or have a steady hand I seriously suggest not trying it. The leds you need are called "0603" surface mount leds. They're literally smaller then a grain of rice and if you aren't careful u can EASILY FRY UR CLIMATE CONTROL BOARD. With that being said it looks damn good if you do it... If ur thinking u may wanna attempt this google image "0603 led" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Goodluck with whatever u decide to do
pics please. sounds good.

I personally would have gone with a red interior lights to match the dashlights etc... but each to their own and kudos to you for going blue... (just need pics to check it out though )

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Ki11erDAWG
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
I actually just did that last week. If your not handy with a soldering iron or have a steady hand I seriously suggest not trying it. The leds you need are called "0603" surface mount leds. They're literally smaller then a grain of rice and if you aren't careful u can EASILY FRY UR CLIMATE CONTROL BOARD. With that being said it looks damn good if you do it... If ur thinking u may wanna attempt this google image "0603 led" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Goodluck with whatever u decide to do
Did you have to sotter on a resistor with the led?
Ki11erDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
Ki11erDAWG
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
You cannot honestly admit that doesn't fit all of the stereotypes of rice. We can play "do what your heart tells you what is right" until the cows come home, but let's just call a spade a spade here.
So then when you change out your stereo and the interior lights clash, you are alright with that? I like my car to be as clean as possible, so if changing lights to blue is ricer then oh well. At least I won't have a multi color show goin on inside my car
Ki11erDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 PM   #24
elementalcode
X-phile

Quote:
Did you have to sotter on a resistor with the led?
no the 0603 leds are a direct replacement no need for resistors

Quote:

I personally would have gone with a red interior lights to match the dashlights etc... but each to their own and kudos to you for going blue... (just need pics to check it out though ) __________________

thanks man pics as soon as im done with the other stuff im doing. Doing my speedo and tach too
elementalcode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #25
Eyler_Evo_X
Cunning Linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2it View Post

I personally would have gone with a red interior lights to match the dashlights etc... but each to their own and kudos to you for going blue... (just need pics to check it out though )

I have red interior lights. They're just crappy neon tubing I found placed high under the footwells and rigged to a switch. They don't look too bad. In fact, japanparts has red and blue lighting kits for the interior of the evo and even the grill. Both are OEM, too.
I miss pre-mod Eyler. I say we start a campaign to return Eyler to his pre-mod glory, eloquent passes at me, random acts of empathy and grammar nazi-ing, while still modding. We'll call it Eyler: Back to Stock 2014. Yeah that will work. We need a movie poster of it.
Eyler_Evo_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #26
kcandiloro
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
no the 0603 leds are a direct replacement no need for resistors

thanks man pics as soon as im done with the other stuff im doing. Doing my speedo and tach too
The need for a resistor would be because different LEDs require different current. The 0603 type just designates the package size and shape, but may not correlate to the current spec of the LEDs. Typically though, different color LEDs require different current limiting resistors.

Doing a quick check on an electronics supply site shows that their 0603 Blue LEDs require 5 or 10mA of current. Their 0603 Red LEDs require 20mA of current. In this case it would be a bad idea to use the Blue LEDs in an application designed for the Red LEDs because you would be over-driving the Blue LEDs which could cause them to break or have a decreased life-span.

The best thing to do would be to find out what current the stock Red LEDs use and buy your replacements accordingly, or at least find out what current rating other people have used successfully.

ಠ_ಠ

2008 MR Phantom Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson
kcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #27
elementalcode
X-phile

^^ the ones i used are rated 20-30 ma and i assumed so where the stockers as most 0603's ive seen are rated as such. It worked for me so maybe i got lucky.... but who knows maybe 3 months from now theyll blow out
elementalcode is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #28
kcandiloro
[Local Team Member]

Quote:
^^ the ones i used are rated 20-30 ma and i assumed so where the stockers as most 0603's ive seen are rated as such. It worked for me so maybe i got lucky.... but who knows maybe 3 months from now theyll blow out
There's a decent chance that it will be fine. But ideally you want to know that you're using the right current.

ಠ_ಠ

2008 MR Phantom Black

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson
kcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #29
RancerEvorution
Forum Lackey

post pics when done!

FP RED Build Thread:

Complete Part Out (FP-Red, Rota, HKS, Perrin, SC, ARP)

RancerEvorution is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #30
ShadPTR

I'm actually all for a uniform colour across the instrument panels. I hate colour clashing. I wish I was expert enough to replace the LEDs in my climate controls, etc. with Blue to match my aftermarket deck.

What I find over the top is the picture with the flood of blue light all over the interior compartment.

I like classy looking, not clubhop looking. Too much for me, but maybe I'm just too old.
2009 Phantom Black EvoX GSR: Alpine W505 Navi, Focal speakers, JL 12" sub, JL HD900w/5 amp, soundproofing doors/panels, protective film, tint except front, Xenon HIDs, OEM Evo Mudflaps, Advan RS Gunmetal 18x9 (summer) on stock tires, stock Enkei with 235/40/18 Michelin PA3's (winter), K&N air filter, Skunk2 Gunmetal shift knob. Cobb AP w/ Stage1 94oct, Boomerang! More to come..
ShadPTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement