AYC Brake Off vs On for Track Racing - Page 12 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #111
Hiboost
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO SENNA View Post
Good read so far guys. Let me throw another curve at you. What ASC and AWC setting seems to work the best in the rain?
Entering this thread a bit late but good to see there is actually some activity down here from time to time. My 2 cents: On/On has always been something I would only recommend staying with when new to the car and you aren't pushing the limits yet. For anyone trying to power out of a corner after overcooking entry it's more of a liability than a benefit and can actually be downright dangerous sending you off the track if you can't use throttle to help aim the car.

Off/On has it's merits, usually this is the mode I use at a new track that I've only seen in videos or iRacing. This mode will save your bacon if you get a bit too aggressive on cold tires and reminds you that you have to adjust your speed to the conditions of the track and your tire temps. I would also suggest this for a wet track unless you are trying to let the car get out of shape on purpose to learn to recover it without the driving aids. Some tracks this is fine where there is run off area but others it's just too risky. Usually the rain sessions nobody is going 10/10ths let alone 9/10ths but staying off the pooling water and remembering that slow in/fast out is wise can make driving in the rain a great learning experience.

Off/off has always yielded the best lap times for me, perhaps it's because I use this mode after I get more laps under my belt for an event but either way my rear brakes are thankful. I'm already pushing my car hard enough to get the rear differential to start overheating so this mode tends to reduce how quickly that happens based on the mist of oil that seems to deposit on my rear bumper after 5+ laps of driving at the limits. I feel that turning off all the aids definitely give the driver greater control with corner entry and assuming your car isn't balanced too far towards understeer or oversteer gives me the best feel for the car where I think I have the most control of it's positioning.

When it comes to Tarmac/Gravel/Snow settings I leave it on Tarmac unless I'm sliding around and getting too much oversteer in which case I'm probably overheating my tires a bit and Gravel/Snow mode can induce some understeer so that I'm forced to slow corner entries, which in turn tends to make corner exits faster by default. As for what mode to use for rain it depends on what balance the car has and if I'm avoiding entering the corners too fast. Generally Gravel or Snow settings will make the car less wild and easier to control but the differences are subtle with the OEM mapping they program on our cars.

If there is one thing I learned from the 2013 season of driving was that sometimes you have to slow corner entry to maximize your speed for the long straights without cooking your tires.

2011 Octane Blue Evo X MR
Best 1/4 Mile ET & Speed: 11.677 @ 119.06
STM Mustang Dyno: 390 whp / 360 wtq

2017 Global Time Attack - Limited AWD Class
2nd - Road Atlanta

2017 CSCS Time Attack - Street AWD Class
1st - Mosport DDT 1:38.391 (Record)
1st - TMP 1:17.644 (Record)
1st - TMP Reverse 1:23.944 (Record)
1st - Shannonville 1:59.748 (Record)

Last edited by Hiboost; 04-14-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Hiboost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 03:34 AM   #112
Hispanic Panic
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highgain10 View Post
I was wondering if the tightness of that track has something to do with it and yeah, definitely tighter than any track I've been on too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Well the tightness really plays to the advantage of the off/on mode. I'm sure if it was a larger more open course with not as many tight corners, the difference between the times would be less, percentage wise.

I'll be at texas world speedway in 2 weeks which is a very fast track and zero tight corners. I'll report back then.
Hispanic Panic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 03:46 PM   #113
Motorsports Performance G
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiboost View Post
Entering this thread a bit late but good to see there is actually some activity down here from time to time. My 2 cents: On/On has always been something I would only recommend staying with when new to the car and you aren't pushing the limits yet. For anyone trying to power out of a corner after overcooking entry it's more of a liability than a benefit and can actually be downright dangerous sending you off the track if you can't use throttle to help aim the car.

Off/On has it's merits, usually this is the mode I use at a new track that I've only seen in videos or iRacing. This mode will save your bacon if you get a bit too aggressive on cold tires and reminds you that you have to adjust your speed to the conditions of the track and your tire temps. I would also suggest this for a wet track unless you are trying to let the car get out of shape on purpose to learn to recover it without the driving aids. Some tracks this is fine where there is run off area but others it's just too risky. Usually the rain sessions nobody is going 10/10ths let alone 9/10ths but staying off the pooling water and remembering that slow in/fast out is wise can make driving in the rain a great learning experience.

Off/off has always yielded the best lap times for me, perhaps it's because I use this mode after I get more laps under my belt for an event but either way my rear brakes are thankful. I'm already pushing my car hard enough to get the rear differential to start overheating so this mode tends to reduce how quickly that happens based on the mist of oil that seems to deposit on my rear bumper after 5+ laps of driving at the limits. I feel that turning off all the aids definitely give the driver greater control with corner entry and assuming your car isn't balanced too far towards understeer or oversteer gives me the best feel for the car where I think I have the most control of it's positioning.

When it comes to Tarmac/Gravel/Snow settings I leave it on Tarmac unless I'm sliding around and getting too much oversteer in which case I'm probably overheating my tires a bit and Gravel/Snow mode can induce some understeer so that I'm forced to slow corner entries, which in turn tends to make corner exits faster by default. As for what mode to use for rain it depends on what balance the car has and if I'm avoiding entering the corners too fast. Generally Gravel or Snow settings will make the car less wild and easier to control but the differences are subtle with the OEM mapping they program on our cars.

If there is one thing I learned from the 2013 season of driving was that sometimes you have to slow corner entry to maximize your speed for the long straights without cooking your tires.
Chris, Thanks for weighing in on this conversation with a dialog based on track seat time. MPG
Advertisement