Dyno tune for intake? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Tuning
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Tuning Discussion for tuning & engine control systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
ConnorMcLean

Dyno tune for intake?

I just have a few simple questions here today. One, if I were to get a K&N Typhoon Intake <http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=69-6546twr>, would I need a tune? Could it be tune from an access-port? Or does it have to be from a dyno? Also, I have a cat*delete pipe that I'm looking to get bolted on to my car. But same question, do I need a dyno tune? Or would it be easier for me to use an access-port? I guess the main subject here is can I tune my car, using an access-port, to fit a cat*pipe and an intake, or does it have to get a dyno tune?
ConnorMcLean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2014, 11:32 PM   #2
ASR Autosport

Yes you need to adjust your MAF calibration tables for the intake you are running. This can be done via the AP by following the guide on Cobb's site. No need to dyno tune. Just make sure your LTFT's are +/-5% afterwards. If not, I can show you how to do a proper MAF cal.
ASR Autosport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2014, 12:15 AM   #3
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

^ What he said.

One thing though, if intake is using stock MAF body, the tune is not necessary, though recommended, but you don't need to re-calibrate your MAF - IF INTAKE IS USING STOCK MAF BODY which looks like it does.

With test pipe though, it's a really really good idea to get tune, because it's knows to throw off boost a bit, and can cause potential engine failures.

Tune can be from the predefined maps in the AP, or you can go eTune way, which is cheaper than dyno and waaaay better than AP maps.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 04:14 AM   #4
ConnorMcLean

Thanks guys. Sounds like Ill just gather the intake and test pipe and roadtrip up to the nearest awd dyno.
ConnorMcLean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #5
Ascendancy
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorMcLean View Post
Thanks guys. Sounds like Ill just gather the intake and test pipe and roadtrip up to the nearest awd dyno.
could always get an etune from someone on here
Old 12-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Oni
X-phile

Get a wideband and tactrix, do datalogs, otherwise you will have no idea what is going on in your engine. I would not have installed these without a tuner assisting me.
When I did my boltons, my tuner gave me a base safety map, and I limped home, I did not use the boost until he checked the LTFT idle and LTFT cruise and STFT with a 5 min warmed up idle and 5 min highway cruise, only after that he gave me boost gradually and did the pulls.
Stay out of boost until you get tuned or you can have a very expecieve repair bill waiting.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
armysoldier1073
X-phile

Location: Where ever the Army sends me. Currently in Dayton, OH
I have to ask why you chose the typhoon intake?
AGP T3 5858BB (453/386), prowakeskater TUNED, DW1000 cc injectors, DW65c fuel pump, AMS UICP / INTAKE, GS 3 PORT, CP-E RESONATED CBE, RB ET500 PADS, PROSPORT HOOD DAMPERS, ACT HD 6puck w/ Streetlite flywheel, Magnus kit w/ EVO 9 CMC, GTWORKS Tarmac springs, ETS 3" FMIC / HFC, RS fog delete, Zietronic LCD to monitor WB / Boost, WhiteLine 27mm rear sway
armysoldier1073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement