Drivetrain binding issue- PLEASE HELP! - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System > S-AWC System
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

S-AWC System For discussion of the S-AWC system and it's components including (but not limited to) driveshafts, differentials, programming, etc.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
Cheshire Cynic

Unhappy Drivetrain binding issue- PLEASE HELP!

Long story short, I bought my first Evo back in June (2008 GSR, 93,xxx miles now, previous repo, rescued from a crappy car lot halfway across the country), and have already had to replace the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, brake booster, master cylinder, tires, and windshield, so I'm broke as hell right now. Also had diff fluid changed when I got the new clutch. I was already planning to replace the CV joints soon, as they're starting to leak grease from the boots, and I get the tell-tale knocking on tight, low-speed cornering, but I think something else may be broken as well... While turning left in a parking lot, I romped on it a bit (nothing too heavy), and it started making a loud "ka-THINK" sound, accompanied by a feeling of binding in the drivetrain. When the car's in neutral or the clutch is disengaged, it rolls smooth just fine, but when putting any power to it, going either direction, I can feel pressure build up in the drivetrain, slowing the car, then it releases with the loud "ka-THINK" noise, and the car rolls properly for a second before it happens again. The sound seems to be coming from the middle area of the car (about halfway down the front doors, if you're listening close from the outside). There is no visible damage from under the car (aside from the leaking grease from the CVs), and the joints on the driveshaft appear to be fully intact. Has anyone encountered this before? Did I break something in one of the diffs, or is one of my CVs just absolutely toast? I'm hoping to get it up in the air tomorrow and see if I can track it down further, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited by Cheshire Cynic; 10-23-2018 at 03:14 AM. Reason: additional info
Cheshire Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #2
LeesEvoX
Forum Lackey

I'd wait to get it in the air. And spin the tires to see if u can replicate the sound.

But if the sound is coming from middle of the car I could only think of the center diff..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
2013 PB Evo X GSR- Kozmic Built 2.0l (stock Sleeves) Kelford 214-b cams/Brian Crower titanium springs & retainers/ Wiseco forged pistons/Manley TT forged Rods/ETS Tubular Manifold/ETS Intake W/ Custom 3.5" MAF/ETS 4" IC/ETS UICP/Synapse DV/ID2000's
and a GTX3576R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tuned by Kozmic @ 500awhp & 365tq (E85)
Blown Ringlands, Its what makes Subaru, a Subaru
LeesEvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
Cheshire Cynic

I got the back end up a couple days ago, and there's definitely something keeping the rear wheels from spinning properly. At first, the driveshaft spun when I rotated a wheel, but then it stopped rotating. Turning vs. going straight seems to make no difference. I'm thinking it might be the rear diff, as it sounds a lot like these videos, only much more consistent (binds and clangs once every few feet, exactly the same every time, forward or back) :
youtube. com/watch?v=dJlm7dfPH5Y
youtube. com/watch?v=9HC43wMSpVc

Also, I was astounded that it hasn't triggered any warning lights, considering how violent it sounds and feels...

Old 10-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
Cheshire Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeesEvoX View Post
But if the sound is coming from middle of the car I could only think of the center diff..
Maybe the rear is putting the pressure back on the driveshaft, causing the clang to emanate throughout the car?

Keeping my fingers crossed that it's not the center diff, I REALLY can't afford that right now...
Old 10-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

If its legit the center of the car, you could have a bad CV joint in the drive shaft. It would be the Rzeppa joint, the one that isn't a U-Joint
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #6
Cheshire Cynic

Update:
Car is up on jacks, Rzeppa and u-joints on driveshaft seem fine, binding still occurring under no load, can feel roughness when rotating any of the wheels by hand, no difference after turning ASC off or pulling AYC fuse
Rear diff does seem to thump around a little as the binding happens (just enough movement to be visible), but I'm doubtful that a loose rear diff could be felt even through the front wheels...
Old 10-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #7
Splattj

If it's not obvious, I guess next you'll have to disconnect/unbolt the driveshaft and narrow it down to the front/center or rear. I went through this on my winter beater and it turned out to be a combination of the rzeppa type joint and a toasted rear diff bushing but it sounds like you might have something else going on.

I know you had this done recently, but you could always change the transmission and differential fluids and see what they look like. If one of them comes out full of metal or is dry, you'll know for sure. If your broke AF you can use a VERY clean container to catch your fluid and reuse it.
Splattj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
Cheshire Cynic

Thanks for the tips, guys. I put it in gear a few times while it was up on jacks yesterday, and at one point the front wheels were spinning smoothly, but the back wheels were standing still until my buddy jiggled one of them, then all four spun and the clanging resumed, so I'm guessing it has to be either the center or rear diff. I'll definitely try the disconnected driveshaft trick as soon as I can get back after it, that'd be way cheaper/easier than having to refill diffs again (not that it'll mean much if I have to get a diff rebuilt anyways, but at least I wouldn't have to drain both lol)
Old 10-26-2018, 12:35 AM   #9
Cheshire Cynic

Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and admit that I'm in way over my head here...
Does anyone know a decent shop in the Lawrence/Kansas City area that could fix my drivetrain without fucking it up, or is it time to call Jack's?
Either way, my credit score's about to be screwed hahaha
Old 10-27-2018, 01:29 AM   #10
EvoX4b11Turbo
n00b

Try this guys steps to narrow it down..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181026-182627_Chrome_1540603770348.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	511.0 KB
ID:	279100   Click image for larger version