Need Help: Weird chatter from rear end or exhaust area - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 05-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
EvoFan808

Need Help: Weird chatter from rear end or exhaust area

Hey, I recently had a used UR resonated test pipe installed. About a week or so afterward, I would notice after I drive my car on the freeway for about 10 minutes with sustained speeds of 65-70 mph, I start to hear a rattling sound. At first I thought it was the suspension, but the chatter or rattle would remain, even after getting off the freeway and while maneuvering in parking lots until the car just sits running for a while or I turn off the engine. I had the shop that installed the test pipe make sure everything was fittest on tight and there were no loose bolts. I will also get this sound by doing some spirited driving, if not going on the freeway. This makes me believe the sound has to do with heat. I'm going to check the exhaust on my own at a friend's shop to make sure its not the exhaust.

Has anyone heard anything like this from their x? I'm hoping its not something like my rear end making that noise. If it's the exhaust, I can find a solution. Thanks in advance for any input.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 GG Evo X, Tsudo, Cobb, Swift, Ultimate Racing, Perrin, Digital Race Electronics, AMS, Torque Solutions, TWM, Depo.
EvoFan808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Roninz

Check your Ur test pipe, there is a driveshaft guard shield on top of it and a bolt/nut is touching the test pipe because of the vibration. Quick fix realign your test pipe or grind the nut/bolt.
Roninz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #3
EvoFan808

Thanks. The next time I get it on a list, I'll check that. But honestly, when I'm driving, the sound is coming from the back. I had a rear passenger listen for it and confirmed it was from the rear of the car. If that bolt is the cause, hopefully I can fix it. It gets so loud when it heats up. I feel embarrassed when everyone is looking after hearing that sound, haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 GG Evo X, Tsudo, Cobb, Swift, Ultimate Racing, Perrin, Digital Race Electronics, AMS, Torque Solutions, TWM, Depo.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Roninz

Trust me i have the same set up and i know what you mean when you can hear it from the rear of the car, dont forget the exhaust is made of steel... so the noise is transfered all the way. Just to make sure jack the car up, grab your UR test pipe and rock it from side to side and you should hear the noise.
Roninz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
tehSteve
Just Spooling Up

Roninz speaks the truth. I'm surprised your shop didn't just move the pipe with their hand. It would of automatically squeaked. I used a hammer to fix. Takes 2 small taps and whola.

tehSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
EvoFan808

It never makes those sounds when shaking it by hand. But guess what? I finally took my car to my friend's shop and we put it on a lift. Everything had enough clearance so it wasn't the way the exhaust was mounted. However, there is a bracket that guards the front most rubber exhaust hanger. I decided to run the Torque Solution hangers, so when we in did the bolt that holds the front most hanger on, and removed the metal plate bracket around it, there was a metal washer between the exhaust piping and the metal plate bracket. My friend told me it was not supposed to be on like that. I have to thank the other shop that mounted the UR test pipe for that one. My friend put the washer on the correct side of the plate bracket thing and I went for a road test. Voila! Squeaky vibration all gone! You guys were pretty much on the money about that and the sound traveling to the back. Thanks for all the help. I'm no longer embarrassed, lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement