SST Clutch Slipping or? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Transmission & S-AWC System > SST
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

SST Post all topics about the SST transmission here.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
HawkDeluxe
n00b

SST Clutch Slipping or?

Hi Everyone, GO GO First Post!

I own a sexy black 2011 Evo X MR and my only mods are an ETS UICP and Cobb's v403 Stage 1 91 octane map. The vehicle has 20,000 km's on her and I've only launched her twice (both without slowdown message).

Lately I've been noticing that when I start to moderately accelerate while already in motion the RPM's will jump up about 100 rpm and will either settle back down or continue on with the acceleration depending on the throttle angle. This phenomenon occurs in Normal, less in Sport, and almost unnoticeable in S-Sport. Also, I've noticed getting from 1 - 7 counts of knock in normal, 1-3 counts of knock in Sport, and 1 count of knock in S-Sport right when I initially try to accelerate.

If I accelerate hard from a stop in Sport and S-Sport, she appears to change gears flawlessly with no knock to speak of. I haven't tried this in normal.

This RPM jump occurs with the Cobb AP installed & flashed and without (Factory Map).
I live in Alberta Canada and have been noticing this behavior since it started to get quite cold (below freezing to -25C). This issue could have been happening in the summer although I didn't notice anything at the time.

I've inquired with Cobb about this issue and their initial diagnosis is I'm experiencing SST slippage from Clutch Wear.

The vehicle feels quite fluidic in it's acceleration through the RPM range although the transmission occasionaly decides to engage/disengage/buck while crawling in traffic. Also, my gear change from 3 to 4 is quite abrupt and quick if I'm accelerating at half throttle in normal mode. I've never had any DTC's, lost gears, or anything else negative.

TL;DR

• 2011 MR - ETS UICP,
  • Car's RPM jump and/or bounce up 100 RPM while initially accelerating,
  • Occurs tuned and stock,
  • Knock is often detected with initial acceleration, Car seems to be doing well regardless,
  • Cobb believes it's clutch slip from clutch wear,
  • First Post!

I've tried searching Google which references both this site and the other one with little success.
Has anyone else experienced anything like the issue above? If so, what was your fix/outcome/nightmare?

Thanks in advance!
HawkDeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
iLancerEvo
Banned

First.! :O
iLancerEvo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #3
bellacotim
X-phile

warranty time. you the first owner?
bellacotim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #4
HawkDeluxe
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellacotim View Post
warranty time. you the first owner?
Yes, I am.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
verkion
X-phile

Hrm...got a log or two of this? Is the knock in low load regions? Are you letting the car fully warm up since you are in a cold region? Is the weird slipping occurring when its cold? Need more info

Thanks!
verkion
verkion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #6
HawkDeluxe
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by verkion View Post
Hrm...got a log or two of this? Is the knock in low load regions? Are you letting the car fully warm up since you are in a cold region? Is the weird slipping occurring when its cold? Need more info

Thanks!
verkion
Hi verkion,

I've attached a couple logs demonstrating the knocksum component of my issues.

The knock occurs between a load of ~130 - 180.

I usually let my car idle for a minute or two and then baby it for the next few minutes past the point of the engine being warm.

I have noticed this knock and slipping since it's been cold. How long can a transmission take to warm up in -10C weather/snow/slushy roads?
Attached Files
File Type: zip datalogs.zip (724.3 KB, 135 views)
Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
HawkDeluxe
n00b

Can this kind of behavior be tuned out? Is this anything to worry about?
Old 12-18-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Mendo
Just Spooling Up

Wish I could help more with specifics, but tuning is not something I'm comfortable with.

Is the knock occurring with the stock map?
2010 Evo X SE #203
Kozmic27 Tuned making 442 whp / 346 wtq
AEM - AMI - AMS - BC Racing - DeatschWerks - Enkei - ETS - FIC - Garrett - GrimmSpeed - GSC - GTSpec - Kelford - Kozmic Motorsports - Mishimoto - Mynes - Nitto - SSP - Synapse Eng - Whiteline
Stock Turbo: [email protected] 1.83 60ft
GTX3582: -------
Mendo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
HawkDeluxe
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
Wish I could help more with specifics, but tuning is not something I'm comfortable with.

Is the knock occurring with the stock map?
Attached are logs using Cobb's v402 Stage 0 map. I noticed a lot of knock using this map. There are sections where I saw knocksums up into the 10's and usually associated with accelerating.

I don't have any other tuning/logging methods aside from the AP so I can't enable mode 23 to log knocksum on my vehicle's own stock map.

Thanks for your interest.
Attached Files
File Type: zip datalogsStage0.zip (114.7 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by HawkDeluxe; 12-18-2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #10
Leezon
Forum Lackey

The 402's are known for knock. most change to the 403's to sort this out.

Although with an MR the OTS Cobb maps are junk and so is the AP. You need a proper tuner.
2012 MR - MHI 18K Turbo - AEM E85 Pump - ID1000 - 3.5 IC - ETS CBE - ETS DP - ETS TP - ETS Intake - Speed Circuit UICP - Speed Circuit Heat Shield - Grimmspeed 3port - Innovate MTX-L - Defi Gauges - TurboSmart Dual Port Bov - H&R Springs - Varrstoen ES2s - Baka Tuned
Leezon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement