How to make the Evo X faster on the track?? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
Stig_EVO
n00b

How to make the Evo X faster on the track??

Hey guys!
I am new to the forum, but a big fun of Evos. I currently own a Evo X GSR in SoCal, but I also have an Evo VII back in Brazil (I've been leaving in the US for 2 years now, but still go back to Brazil for vacation).

Well, before coming to the US I've had 2 Evo X's in Brazil (1 MR and 1 GSR) and I loved their performance at the track.

I came to the US and bought an E92 M3 and a S2000. I liked both very much, but the high maintenance cost of the M3 and the low torque on the S2000 made me want another Evo. I sold the M3, but I still have the S2000, which is a fun car.

So, I bought the Evo X and did the basic mods:
  • Full bolt ons (exhaust, I/C, Intake and remap on 91)
  • Ohlins coilovers
  • St43 pads, stoptech slotted rotors and braided lines, RBF600 fluid
  • Set of Nitto's NT01 on stock wheels

and started going to track days. I did big Willow and Autoclub Speedway and was pretty happy with the overall perfomance.

Then I added COBB rear sway bar and whiteline endlinks.

I went to Streets of Willow and enjoyed the RSB added a little bit of oversteer.

Next track day (two weeks ago) was Laguna Seca. The only difference was using a set of Gramlights 57DR (18x9.5) with 255-40 RE71R's.

Again the car was a blast to drive, with a lot of grip. Only issue was losing the brakes after 5-6 laps due to overheating (my bad that I used the same fluid for 4 track days).

Now I am going one step further and adding:
  • Stoptech Trophy brakes in the front (6pot, 355mm rotors)
  • Whiteline FSB, antiroll and antilift kit
  • A set of BFG G-force R1 265-35.

After this, I don't plan to do too much more since the next logical step would be either stripping the car or adding more power. I still daily drive the car so stripping is not an option. Adding more power seems to compromise reliability.

My current lap times are:
Big Willow: 1.36
ACS: 1.56
SOW: 1.28
LS: 1.44

What do you guys think and what is your recipe for the track? Anything I am missing?

Thanks,
Steve
Stig_EVO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 03:23 AM   #2
stocker

Have you done anything for your fuel system? Are you experiencing fuel starve on left handers with stickier tires yet? A surge tank seems to be the answer, if you aren't running E85. Or just keep topping off your tank before each session.

About your brakes over heating, I added cooling ducts on mine. The stock brembos are pretty capable, so may look into cooling ducts if you don't want to spend $$$ on upgraded calipers. I am running the girodisc front rotors in mine too.
stocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
Exige S240

Honestly, weight is really the Achilles heel of these cars. I got mine down to 3200 lbs and man what a difference. Tires last longer, transient handling characteristics are better, brakes don't over heat as much (that could also be due to my 3" ducting). Also, i'd switch to castrol SRF brake fluid. I had a lot of problems with the Motul fluid. Also just much prefer the pedal feel of the Castrol vs. the motul.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Exige S240 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #4
Stig_EVO
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker View Post
Have you done anything for your fuel system? Are you experiencing fuel starve on left handers with stickier tires yet? A surge tank seems to be the answer, if you aren't running E85. Or just keep topping off your tank before each session.

About your brakes over heating, I added cooling ducts on mine. The stock brembos are pretty capable, so may look into cooling ducts if you don't want to spend $$$ on upgraded calipers. I am running the girodisc front rotors in mine too.
Sorry, I haven't been too active in the forum. I did not add a surge tank but i will probably do it. I have to top it off every session and depending on the track (Autoclub Speedway for example) I can only do 3 laps before starvation.

The Trophys took forever to come and I ended up cancelling the order. I added the Whiteline parts and stiffer spring in the front and managed to run a 1:54.0 at ACS and 1:24.8 at SoW CCW.

I am also using Project Mu fluid and Girodiscs now and the brakes have been great.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Stig_EVO
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exige S240 View Post
Honestly, weight is really the Achilles heel of these cars. I got mine down to 3200 lbs and man what a difference. Tires last longer, transient handling characteristics are better, brakes don't over heat as much (that could also be due to my 3" ducting). Also, i'd switch to castrol SRF brake fluid. I had a lot of problems with the Motul fluid. Also just much prefer the pedal feel of the Castrol vs. the motul.
I agree. I feel the difference when I drive the S2000. I also bought a Civic Type R and can notice the reduced weight.

How did you get to 3,200lbs. I would like to keep the stock-ish look and street driveability.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig_EVO View Post
I agree. I feel the difference when I drive the S2000. I also bought a Civic Type R and can notice the reduced weight.

How did you get to 3,200lbs. I would like to keep the stock-ish look and street driveability.
Take all the heavy stock parts off and replace them with lighter pieces. My Tomei Expreme Ti exhaust shaves approx. 40 lbs off from the stock Cat-Back exhaust system.

What was the car optioned with? The SSS models (or GSR Premium) came with a sunroof and 9 Speaker Rockford Fosgate System, with sub/amp. The Sunroof alone adds over 100 lbs since it replaces the lightened Aluminum roof with a Steel roof+Glass etc.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #7
Stig_EVO
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post
Take all the heavy stock parts off and replace them with lighter pieces. My Tomei Expreme Ti exhaust shaves approx. 40 lbs off from the stock Cat-Back exhaust system.

What was the car optioned with? The SSS models (or GSR Premium) came with a sunroof and 9 Speaker Rockford Fosgate System, with sub/amp. The Sunroof alone adds over 100 lbs since it replaces the lightened Aluminum roof with a Steel roof+Glass etc.
Makes sense. My car came with RF system, no sunroof. I already took sub and rear seat off. Now I will look into amp and other speakers.

Exhaust I cannot go with the Tomei Ti since I take the car to Laguna Seca and they have a 90db sound limit. I do have the Tomei in my Evo 7 (back in Brazil) and it is light.

I just came back from a quick shakedown at willow spring and ran a 1:31.9 (with some traffic), which is almost 5s faster than my last time there. It seems I am in the right path.

I thought that next could be removing all the panels, swaping front seats with lighter ones, then removing the A/C system?

I cannot post links yet but you can see the laps in my youtube channel: Steven Kronemberger.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:01 AM   #8
misterk2003
n00b

I found my evo did a number on the front tires, The one thing I regret doing before selling it was adding a stiffer rear swaybar to make the car oversteer and take load off the front tires.
misterk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement