First track day basics? - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #21
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by surensm View Post
http://youtu.be/fLCpHnA54cQ

^^ for big willow. Check out his other vids.
Nice, thanks. They just added Fontana to iRacing. There is talk about adding willow. Would be cool to get the track down on the simulator.

Great video. Any for the Streets of Willow?

I read "Ultimate Speed Secrets" and "Going Faster! Mastering the Art of Race Driving" I really liked Going Faster. Great book, easy to read. Helped out quite a bit.

Thank's again for the video. Can't wait to get out there.

Last edited by thebearjew; 12-26-2013 at 08:54 AM.
thebearjew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 04:27 AM   #22
Highgain10
Just Spooling Up

I feel brake fluid is a bit more critical than many think it is. I would definitely do a full flush to Motul 600. ATE isn't that great of a fluid for track use. Using Motul will insure you won't have a problem. Nothing like going into a corner at 90+ mph and having the brake pedal go to the floor. For your first go at it stock rotors with track pads will be fine. Make sure you have a quality tire pressure gauge with the ability to bleed to better manage your pressures and a good 12v compressor to bring them back up if you went too low. Also, the stock Yoko's are actually a bit hard for track use. If you're getting new tires anyways, get a better tire like Kumho XS's (used these this past season with good results and they're a bit cheaper than many other options in stock size) or Hankook RS3's.
Highgain10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #23
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

Thanks. I'm actually not on stock tires anymore. On 265 Ad08's. Plan on replacing them with AD08r's most likely but ill research other brands as well. I really like the AD08's though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highgain10 View Post
I feel brake fluid is a bit more critical than many think it is. I would definitely do a full flush to Motul 600. ATE isn't that great of a fluid for track use. Using Motul will insure you won't have a problem. Nothing like going into a corner at 90+ mph and having the brake pedal go to the floor. For your first go at it stock rotors with track pads will be fine. Make sure you have a quality tire pressure gauge with the ability to bleed to better manage your pressures and a good 12v compressor to bring them back up if you went too low. Also, the stock Yoko's are actually a bit hard for track use. If you're getting new tires anyways, get a better tire like Kumho XS's (used these this past season with good results and they're a bit cheaper than many other options in stock size) or Hankook RS3's.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:41 AM   #24
surensm
Forum Lackey

For SOW. I would also look up the basic lines people take online.
2002 Porsche 911 996 Carrera - Daily
surensm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 08:32 PM   #25
ziva allen
n00b

I recently did my first track day. I think the only thing that caught me off guard was how competetive it is out there on the track. Although you're not technically racing, I think you naturally can't help but guage how you are doing against everyone else. So that said, I think my measly piece of advice would be to let go of all that your first time. Obviously for safety purposes, you have to be aware of other cars around you and be prepared to point them by. But I found that once I ignored that sort of icky feeling you get that you're about to be passed, I was then able to really get into the zone and concentrate on my lines. And drive faster as a result. In fact, I actually had one session where no one gained on me! (Although the two ferraris had left by then. Lol)
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 PM   #26
MRpaige

Quote:
Originally Posted by surensm View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oD2_Dh5e4

For SOW. I would also look up the basic lines people take online.
have you seen that guys garage!? It's insane...I'll have to find the link to that video, it's the coolest thing I have ever seen. I'm trying to convince my wife to allow my to make ours into the same lol
MRpaige is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2014, 10:18 PM   #27
surensm
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRpaige View Post
have you seen that guys garage!? It's insane...I'll have to find the link to that video, it's the coolest thing I have ever seen. I'm trying to convince my wife to allow my to make ours into the same lol
lol, post a vid once you find it.
2002 Porsche 911 996 Carrera - Daily
surensm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #28
BADABING

A lot of good advice here already. I'll just re-emphasize the importance of starting slow and learning to ignore those behind you until the passing zones.

Also, make sure you remember to drink a lot during the day. Not Chardonnay or Cosmopolitans - save that until after the racing, but lots of Gatorade and water!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BADABING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 AM   #29
Highgain10
Just Spooling Up

That's a good point not many people point out; you gotta stay hydrated and fed. It's real easy with everything that will be going on to loose track of time and not drink enough. You really have to stay focused on track and to do that you need to stay hydrated and fed.
Highgain10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #30
thebearjew
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADABING View Post
A lot of good advice here already. I'll just re-emphasize the importance of starting slow and learning to ignore those behind you until the passing zones.

Also, make sure you remember to drink a lot during the day. Not Chardonnay or Cosmopolitans - save that until after the racing, but lots of Gatorade and water!
Wait a second. I'm going to a track day and not "a club in West Hollywood" consisting of all mens, right? Your choice of drinks is making me wonder.

Thanks for the responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement