AYC Brake Off vs On for Track Racing - Page 2 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
yeayeaatou
Just Spooling Up

How do you turn it off/off
yeayeaatou is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Dimi_X.GSR
Forum Lackey

I was wondering this same thing but more so what modes work better with different weather conditions. I know I read some older threads where members were saying best setting for the track is off/off and gravel mode, but no one has expanded into discussing different modes and how they work in different weather.

Particularly on a really rainy day, I'm wondering what would be the best mode. I know when I try with off/off and gravel mode, the car slides and loses control easier, tarmac definitely holds more grip I noticed even with off/off and wet roads, although I'm sure my shitty stock tires play a big role as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dimi_X.GSR; 03-27-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Dimi_X.GSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
pistolpete69916
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeayeaatou View Post
How do you turn it off/off
You have a button that says "ASC OFF", probably next to your light tilt switch. Press and hold it for ~5-10 seconds, then you should hear a beep from the dash. That is "off/off".

If you press it only once without holding it and without getting a beep, its "off/on".
pistolpete69916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 02:09 AM   #14
GotKT?
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAss View Post
Think of HPDEs as a means to improve your driver skill while having a great time and going faster as just a by-product of that skill. Don't focus on going faster. Eventually, you will start noticing the car braking etc against your wishes. You've already been to 5 events, you should start noticing things you never did before after about 5~10 more events depending on your adaptability. To achieve this, just go "off/off" on the ASC switch. I recommend beginners to use full ASC ON if its only their first or second time on the track, then gradually move to OFF/ON and then to full OFF/OFF.
Good explination. Kept all on my first two track days. By my third track day the throttle cutoff was getting obnoxious and almost dangerious so I went off/on. Last year I expermented with trail braking and your description above explains why if felt odd. Will try off/off next week.

Finally got all of the track mods and am looking forward to performance mods.

SSP Cooler, Kozmic Surge Tank, Grimspeed 3-port, Stock suspension, DBA 5000 front and DBA 4000 rear, ST43 pads (track), Stopteck (not track), PSS on Konig Miligrams (track), RE970 on Enkei Raijins (not track)
GotKT? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 AM   #15
N.G.S.
[Approved Merchant]

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAss View Post
Think of HPDEs as a means to improve your driver skill while having a great time and going faster as just a by-product of that skill. Don't focus on going faster. Eventually, you will start noticing the car braking etc against your wishes. You've already been to 5 events, you should start noticing things you never did before after about 5~10 more events depending on your adaptability. To achieve this, just go "off/off" on the ASC switch. I recommend beginners to use full ASC ON if its only their first or second time on the track, then gradually move to OFF/ON and then to full OFF/OFF.
Yep..... This guy speaks the truth. You'll realize it's time to start turning the traction nannies off when the car starts to fight your throttle inputs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need TPMS sensors that work and won't set off codes?

Buy my TPMS sensors and i will program them to work in your car (guaranteed) for FREE!

MY TPMS VENDOR THREAD

PM me!
TPMS Solution for Evo's and Mitsubishi Honda Subaru

2012 PB GSR
N.G.S. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
JinTae

My friends had me learn the car from day 1 with off/off and in tarmac and I've enjoyed learning the car this way. The evo does slide a lot more and the steering inputs have to be a lot more smooth as well as the braking and accelerating to keep the car from being upset, but I've grown in both areas as I've tried to push the car harder and harder.
I used to autox a lot and I tried one event with the ayc brake on and I didn't like how it felt when steering. It felt unnatural so I raced the rest of the season with it off/off.
It's nice to see most guys on the forums here agree off/off is best. I was just surprised when I met guys at the track try to convince me that off was a better option and I only did one season last year so before this season began I just wanted to see some other opinions. Thanks for all your responses!
JinTae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #17
Hispanic Panic
X-phile

The car doesn't fight throttle inputs in the off/on mode. It individually applies the brakes to specific wheels and sends power to others to force the vehicle to PIVOT about its center, forcing the vehicle to turn in better. This is on the opposite end of the pivot spectrum normally occupied by forced oversteer to "point in/rotate".

From experience, it's more difficult to understeer while on off/on mode, and i can get on the power sooner and harder with MUCH less oversteer. I'm still experimenting with left foot braking and am convinced that off/on mode with a trained left foot braking technique will be vastly superior to the typical off/off forced oversteer "rotate" mentality that so many people have on these forums.

Side note, i havn't done enough experimenting with gravel/tarmac/snow to see which gives me faster exit speeds, but dicking around on wet pavement, i've noticed that gravel and snow causes me to understeer easier and earlier on turn in. I've since upgraded tires & changed alignment to zero toe, so this needs much more validation to say anything of value.

as far as driver training goes, i agree that off/off forces you to develop skill and pay attention to vehicle limits more. But it is of my personal opinion that i am still faster around the track in off/on mode.
Hispanic Panic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
Iowa999
Just Spooling Up

The reason that Gravel and Snow cause more understeer (on pavement) at turn-in is that the center is still partially locked.

The two main differences between modes are level of maximum lock and how quickly the center opens when you lift, brake and/or turn. Since Gravel and Snow open more slowly than Tarmac (i.e., stay locked longer), the odds of the center still being partially locked at turn-in are higher in these modes, and a locked center is not what you want at turn-in on pavement.

edit: I am here ignoring the AYC because the question I'm responding to concerns turn-in and I'm assuming that the driver will not be at 25%+ throttle at turn-in

Last edited by Iowa999; 03-28-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Iowa999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #19
Roen
Forum Lackey

Hmm....I should try Off/On/Tarmac next time

My last experiment was Off/Off/Gravel......worst day ever, but I think it may have been because of tire pressures.
Roen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #20
xFonts
Forum Lackey

I'm repeating myself here but Tarmac Gravel & Snow also affects AYC. Tarmac being highest amount and Snow being the least.

AMS FMIC ☼ ACT HDSS ☼ AEM 320lph
ID 1300cc ☼ GrimmSpeed EBCS
E85
MHI 18K ☼ Ohlins R&T
Radium Dual Catch Can || Fuel Rail
Sakura Intake || UICP || Street Exhaust ☼ Synpase DV
T1R Resonated TestPipe
Whiteline FSB || RSB || RCK
xFonts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement