AYC Brake Off vs On for Track Racing - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 AM   #21
HappyMint
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa999 View Post
The reason that Gravel and Snow cause more understeer (on pavement) at turn-in is that the center is still partially locked.

The two main differences between modes are level of maximum lock and how quickly the center opens when you lift, brake and/or turn. Since Gravel and Snow open more slowly than Tarmac (i.e., stay locked longer), the odds of the center still being partially locked at turn-in are higher in these modes, and a locked center is not what you want at turn-in on pavement.

edit: I am here ignoring the AYC because the question I'm responding to concerns turn-in and I'm assuming that the driver will not be at 25%+ throttle at turn-in
This is interesting because McCoy indicated the opposite on numerous occasions, that in his team's extensive Time Attack experience gravel mode made the car more oversteer than in Tarmac mode..

Build thread with lots of vids:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus
I'm drawn to them and cannot turn away. Its the same morbid fascination I'd have while watching a severely retarded person try to pick up a quarter off the street.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HappyMint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2014, 02:07 AM   #22
Iowa999
Just Spooling Up

Was McCoy talking about corner-entry or -exit? I was talking about entry, during which you really want the center to be open. My guess is that they were talking about corner-exit, instead, where you want the center locked pretty hard. Also, as mentioned by someone earlier, the modes do affect the AYC, too. As soon as you're back on the gas, the AYC becomes active, so that could be playing a role. (The AYC does nothing when coasting or braking at corner-entry, so I ignored this before because the question was corner-entry push.)
Iowa999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 12:12 AM   #23
Hispanic Panic
X-phile

Quote:
Was McCoy talking about corner-entry or -exit? I was talking about entry, during which you really want the center to be open. My guess is that they were talking about corner-exit, instead, where you want the center locked pretty hard. Also, as mentioned by someone earlier, the modes do affect the AYC, too. As soon as you're back on the gas, the AYC becomes active, so that could be playing a role. (The AYC does nothing when coasting or braking at corner-entry, so I ignored this before because the question was corner-entry push.)

McCoy's driving style is probably hard brake to force a slight oversteer into the turn then power out. At least i would assume so if he's in gravel mode. Truthfully, my driving skill needs more refinement before i can start toying with traditional lines and the method mentioned above. Though i will say when i was playing in gravel mode, i noticed i could smash the gas as soon as the front wheels passed apex vs waiting. The front wheels just pull you straight through.

Another thing, i think in tarmac/snow it also changes brake bias. Toying in snow had a very even front/rear brake feeling, though it could be just cause the center diff was solidly locked.

Anyways, back on topic, I will maintain the off/on mode is faster, and would love anyone with real track experience that have extensively tested both to chime in.
Hispanic Panic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #24
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Quote:
I wish you had a dedicated RSS feed on this forum. You have 25 posts, and not a single one wasted. My true respect to you, sir.

(There is many smart minded on this forum, but this post/usefulness ration wins it for me)

Sorry can't bring anything useful to the thread - my knowledge is very limited in this area :/

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 AM   #25
Iowa999
Just Spooling Up

Our cars do not have dynamic brake bias. We have a standard, physical prop valve. Therefore, until one of the nannies steps in, the bias remains the same. I don't know if ACD/AYC mode alters the nannies that involve the brakes, but I've never seen anything to suggest that it does.

The S-AWC is cobbled together from parts from various sources. They haven't really been melded in one, common system. That's why I doubt that we'll ever learn that ACD/AYC mode affects the brakes directly.

With that said, remember that one uses a lot less pedal pressure when grip is low. Therefore, one is spending much more time braking at a point below the prop valve's split point. Thus, when braking with low grip, you are probably closer to equal line pressure (front vs rear), in contrast to hard braking on pavement, which will have much higher line pressures to the front.

My new brakes have total piston areas much closer to equal than OE Evo X brakes. I adore it. Given that there's no simple way to disable the ABS, this was the only way that I could come up with to get more rear bias on gravel, dirt, and snow. Still working on a safe way to plumb in a hydraulic hand-brake.

ps. thanks to the above for the kind words ... not that I know what an "RSS feed" is

pps. say "hello" to the folks at VCMC for me; tell them it's coming from the guy who made their "Toby Light"

Last edited by Iowa999; 03-30-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Iowa999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 12:06 PM   #26
Motorsports Performance G
Just Spooling Up

Are you on track in the "automatic" mode ? I have about 45k on the SE and I think it has been in the auto mode possibly 4 times ever,(so I can get the cruise control.) And with all the computers on this car doing "stuff" in the different settings For me it has been the best way to turn OFF everything possible,shift by hand. Moving from the Evo 9 to the evo 10 is a big change in how the car "feels". MPG
Old 03-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #27
GO SENNA
Just Spooling Up

It's good to see most people agree about off/off for the ASC on track, but I'm surprised to see no clear consensus on AYC settings in the rain. I look forward to testing this myself on two very different tracks nearby this year
GO SENNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
Roen
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsports Performance G View Post
Are you on track in the "automatic" mode ? I have about 45k on the SE and I think it has been in the auto mode possibly 4 times ever,(so I can get the cruise control.) And with all the computers on this car doing "stuff" in the different settings For me it has been the best way to turn OFF everything possible,shift by hand. Moving from the Evo 9 to the evo 10 is a big change in how the car "feels". MPG

My fastest times have all been set in Auto S-Sport, mostly because there are corners where I have to shift midcorner because of a long exit acceleration zone in a low gear and I can't smoothly reach for the console shifter with my right hand and steer the car smoothly with my left. In Auto, I can keep both hands focused on tracing smooth lines regardless of the shifting requirements.

Also, Auto Sport and Auto S-Sport don't give you the cruise control. Only Auto Normal and Manual Normal do.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Roen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #29
Yxd68
Forum Addict

Quote:
I have about 45k on the SE and I think it has been in the auto mode possibly 4 times ever,(so I can get the cruise control.)
FYI: It's Normal mode that allows the CC to work - does not matter if Normal/Auto or Normal/Manual.
Yxd68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 03:27 AM   #30
BakaUnchi
Forum Lackey

OFF OFF was 3 sec faster than off/on for me on a 2:00 track
BakaUnchi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement