Just bought by 2014 EVO X GSR, a few questions I need to ask - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Performance
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Performance General discussion for performance topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:

Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
tsaad710
n00b

Just bought by 2014 EVO X GSR, a few questions I need to ask

Yo guys, earlier today I picked up my brand new EVO X. This is my first thread and I am still not too knowledgeable about this car. I have plans to make performance upgrades in the near future. My first step would be an aftermarket intake (AEM most likely), along with a turboback exhaust(possibly UR or AMS) and then a COBB AP tune. Also, if i feel the need to possibly some new, wider summer tires. Im just looking for some pointers on how i should go about doing this and im on somewhat of a tight budget so if you guys have recommendations of cheaper products to use (quality is still my main concern).

Again, this is my first thread so please no flaming just constructive criticism.
tsaad710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 03:58 AM   #2
msalle2
Just Spooling Up

Welcome and congrats on the purchase! I was in the same boat as you last year. There are tons of great threads offering ideas on how to go about modding your car. Try and predict what your end product will be to prevent having to upgrade again in the future. Another great company to add to your list is ETS for intake, exhaust, etc. great customer service and presence on the forums. I would wait on wheels/tires as the stock enkeis/advans are pretty good for summer, though the tires will only last you 10-15K if you're lucky.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:04 AM   #3
tsaad710
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalle2 View Post
Welcome and congrats on the purchase! I was in the same boat as you last year. There are tons of great threads offering ideas on how to go about modding your car. Try and predict what your end product will be to prevent having to upgrade again in the future. Another great company to add to your list is ETS for intake, exhaust, etc. great customer service and presence on the forums. I would wait on wheels/tires as the stock enkeis/advans are pretty good for summer, though the tires will only last you 10-15K if you're lucky.

Appreciate it! This car is now my daily driver so nothing extreme, I want it to be fun to cruise in but has a good bit of power when I punch it, which is why im thinking stage 1 or 2 tune. I was only considering wider tires after these power upgrades i thought it might need them to maintain good traction. But i could be wrong.
tsaad710 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
one4
n00b

If you want your tires to last a bit longer I would get a good alignment right off the bat. The factory alignment is complete crap.
one4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
wicked_evo11
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by one4 View Post
If you want your tires to last a bit longer I would get a good alignment right off the bat. The factory alignment is complete crap.
^this!

with factory alignment my stock tires had a lot of cupping and inner wear.
you have a few option for some affordable wheels. xxr is pretty popular (not my cup of tea). option lab is another. how wide and aggressive of a setup are you planning on running?
wicked_evo11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #6
hungryhippos
Forum Lackey

An intake and OTS cobb tune isn't going to net you much power. For bolt on power the 3 best power mods are 3port ebcs, cat delete and pro tune. After that you're looking at minor things like uicp, fmic, cbe sri/cai. Either way get a pro tune if you want to maximize the power you get from your parts.

Just google "evo x bolt ons" there are hundreds of threads that go over build paths and part quality, as for pricing there are plenty of vendors on here that you get you what you need for a good price. Treat them with respect and they'll hook you up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hungryhippos; 03-28-2014 at 06:34 AM.
hungryhippos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
[S]niperWolF(+)
X-phile

Welcome,

FYI theres no more COBB ACCESSPORT TUNE - nowadays accessport is used as memory card and OBII reader.
Shorty antenna,
Windows deflector
Invidia q300
AMS HFC,
AMS base and underhood shifter bushings.
Eibach pro kit & Whiteline RCK kit
K&N intake & UICP
RPF1 18x9.5 +15 SBC with 265/35R18 Sumitomo HTRZ III
Rexpeed Vortex Generator
Fortune Autoo 500 Gen 5 - 8k/8k
[S]niperWolF(+) is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #8
zipone
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhippos View Post
An intake and OTS cobb tune isn't going to net you much power. For bolt on power the 3 best power mods are 3port ebcs, cat delete and pro tune. After that you're looking at minor things like uicp, fmic, cbe sri/cai. Either way get a pro tune if you want to maximize the power you get from your parts.

Just google "evo x bolt ons" there are hundreds of threads that go over build paths and part quality, as for pricing there are plenty of vendors on here that you get you what you need for a good price. Treat them with respect and they'll hook you up.
^^^^^^ agreed
zipone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #9
on2it
Dr. Evo?

Welcome and congrats on your purchase.

Dont rush it, read, learn and plan.
start here for ideas:

https://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33220

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current|HKS UICP|HKS Filter|HKS racing suction pipe kit|Modified Stock Exhaust|EcuTek FQ360 tune|ETS 3.5FMIC|Swift Springs|ACT ME-HDSS|ACT Streetlite Flywheel|
Installing
|FIC 1100cc injectors|K27 Surgetank kit+ Bosch044|
To Come
|BB FPGreen|Kelford Cams|Perrin3port|Perrin Bov|Tomei FPRegulator |Tomei FP guage|
on2it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
Rik84
Forum Lackey

The biggest advice I can give is to not cheap out on parts.

If you can afford parts a,b,c from a middle of the road company or part "a" from 1 company... Buy part "a" and move up from there.

Some parts don't matter (intercooler piping is one that comes to mind) as anyone can bend a hunk of metal.

With exhausts, manifolds, downpipes, turbos, intercoolers, intakes and your tune try to stick with the best you can afford at a reasonable budget. There are some white knights that are less expensive on the market but as a general rule of thumb stay away from eBay and try to work with the vendors on this site. Most if not all the vendors here have a passion for the platform and know what parts you really need to make the most of your car.

You're only a few hours away from AMS who are basically the holly grail of tuning and parts so you're in good hands there.

Rik84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement