You know your car hates you when it's one month new, stock, but cranks won't start - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Community > Off topic
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Off topic Forum for generic banter

Old 04-10-2014, 01:54 AM   #1
Lightsaber
Just Spooling Up

You know your car hates you when it's one month new, stock, but cranks won't start

I have just got the Evo for 1 month, ordered new at the dealership. While I'm still excited, I guess the car is not.

Recently the car has been struggling to start. Very often it cranks but the engine doesn't start. So when it happens, I would let it crank for a few seconds, wait, then try again. After several tries it has been able to start so far. [knock on wood.]

Relevant information:

▪ The car is stock USDM 2014 Evo X GSR
▪ It's been about ~10C (~50F) outside
▪ Fuel pump relays are stock 2014 model year black Panasonic ones
▪ The engine runs normally after the it starts

Based on what I know about it, the engine need air, fuel, and sparks to start. If the engine can operate normally, the air and spark plugs must be fine. So I'm wondering if it's the fuel injectors clogged? (all of them are clogged? can it be?) ECU doesn't understand I'm trying to start the engine? Or something else?

Thanks in advance for any inputs. You know you want to talk to your friends when your wife hates you. So here I am. If the car keeps behaving this way, she would have to visit the dealer's service department soon.

Last edited by Lightsaber; 04-10-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Lightsaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 02:07 AM   #2
SlickNYC
Just Spooling Up

Are you using 91+ octane gas? Does it struggle to crank? Does the cranking sound normal? Have you recently made any mods or unplug anything?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
SlickNYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
eliandres
Just Spooling Up

I wouldn't waste your time trying to diagnose it here. If there's a problem on a 1 month old car, that's the dealership's problem. Take it in and let them figure it out!
Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #4
Lightsaber
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickNYC View Post
Are you using 91+ octane gas? Does it struggle to crank? Does the cranking sound normal? Have you recently made any mods or unplug anything?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Could that be the issue...?! I got a tank of 91 (instead of 93) octane gas from Sunoco and yes, the problem occurs since then. Before that I have been pumping 93.

It cranks pretty strongly and cranking sound is nice and original. My only recent mods are wheel alignment and to ziptie the fuel pressure regulator hose.

If it's because of Massachusetts's 91 octane gas, then:

Old 04-10-2014, 02:23 AM   #5
UT_EvoX
Banned

It's worth getting the dealership to check it out under warranty because you could just have a lemon of a motor with really poor compression (which would cause very hard starting but you might not necessarily notice it once driving because of our forced induction advantage). It's a long shot, but might as well have them check it out.

Otherwise, it could be something wrong with the fuel system not being able to hold pressure. Are you throwing any codes like a P0171 (system too lean)? Does the engine bay smell heavily of gas after an attempted start?
UT_EvoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 02:24 AM   #6
UT_EvoX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaber View Post
Could that be the issue...?! I got a tank of 91 (instead of 93) octane gas from Sunoco and yes, the problem occurs since then. Before that I have been pumping 93.

It cranks pretty strongly and cranking sound is nice and original. My only recent mods are wheel alignment and to ziptie the fuel pressure regulator hose.

If it's because of Massachusetts's 91 octane gas, then:

I'm sorry, but the detonation resistance of your gasoline has nothing to do with being able to start the motor, unless running < 91 octane fuel for an extended period of time damaged your pistons and led to poor compression.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:30 AM   #7
Lightsaber
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
It's worth getting the dealership to check it out under warranty because you could just have a lemon of a motor with really poor compression (which would cause very hard starting but you might not necessarily notice it once driving because of our forced induction advantage). It's a long shot, but might as well have them check it out.

Otherwise, it could be something wrong with the fuel system not being able to hold pressure. Are you throwing any codes like a P0171 (system too lean)? Does the engine bay smell heavily of gas after an attempted start?
Gotcha. I'm taking the car to the dealership.

I have got like ~5 tanks of 93 and 1 tank of 91. So perhaps it's not the 91 gas.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:44 AM   #8
UT_EvoX
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsaber View Post
Gotcha. I'm taking the car to the dealership.

I have got like ~5 tanks of 93 and 1 tank of 91. So perhaps it's not the 91 gas.
It's really not the 91 octane fuel. Just put it out of your mind Many of us only have 91 octane to choose from.

It is a possibility that the gas you filled up is bad, but I haven't seen that happen in a LOOOOONG time.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:10 AM   #9
trick3d
Forum Addict

Follow what UT said. It's sound advice.
Nagua's Mouth. It's open all the time.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trick3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 03:23 AM   #10
Lightsaber
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick3d View Post
Follow what UT said. It's sound advice.
Absolutely. Gonna call dealer and make an appointment tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement