New brake cooling kit - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 AM   #1
Hispanic Panic
X-phile

New brake cooling kit

http://www.lapponline.com/index.php?...roducts_id=235

Anyone ever heard of these guys? AT this price, i think it's worth experimenting with. I'm not sure about the air intake location being optimal for even cooling of the rotor, but im exhausted and can't remember what the stock 2pc rotors look like on the inside.

your thoughts?
Hispanic Panic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 AM   #2
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

step 1: remove dust shield
step 2: use hole saw to drill 2.5" hole in shield
step 3: run 2.5" Sil-Duct SDH-250X12 from hole to front of car & secure with zipties
step 4: save $250 for about 2 minutes of additional effort than it would take to install this 'kit'

We have vented rotors. Cooling occurs by getting more air to flow THROUGH the rotor, not on top of the rotor. Taking a dremel to the edge of the vanes will do way more than directing air over the disc surface.

I wouldn't use a polyester-based hose if it were me. It punctures easily. For that price, they should be using a fiberglass-based hose. You may be better off using dryer vent ducting...
blk-majik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

If the way they inject air is covering just the inside surface of the rotor, cooling will be uneven and may actually cause more issues in the long run. Now, if the way it's designed is injecting air in the inside of the rotor, which what comment ^ me is saying, this should be quite efficient. Though, I wouldn't spend $255 for it. I would have it for $60 max.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Hispanic Panic
X-phile

the hose alone is 100 bucks. If you compare the aluminum sheild duct to the binary engineering one, this one costs around the same minus the hose. Difference being, this is 2.5 inches and the binary kit is 2.0 inches. I still need to look at my rotors to figure out if this shoots air on the rotor face or more on the inside
Old 10-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #5
tapuout567
Just Spooling Up

http://www.lapponline.com/images/brake_ducts/evo_5.jpg

is that a joke or serious?
tapuout567 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

I also love how the 'tig welded aluminum ducts' are bolted on to the OEM steel shield They just tac welded an aluminum plate to what looks like some scrap tube, cut a hole, apparently with a pair of child's safety scissors, and slapped it together. The brakes on my lemons cars are done better than this, and we do it for under $25 =/

To be fair, the design idea is right, it just doesn't work well with our hubs. Without 2pc rotors, it does nothing. With 2pc, it does little since your not directing the air where it needs to go. You want to create high air pressure in the center where the hat meets the disc. Think of that as your intake. Unfortunately, the hub blocks most of the intake, so you gotta be clever about the shape and angle. Something like this

lots of good info here:
http://www.socalevo.net/threads/1279...or-engineering
Old 10-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #7
Hispanic Panic
X-phile

So then how would you reccomend we actually implement a quality brake cooling solution?

I'm out of ideas.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #8
blk-majik
[Local Team Member]

Like in that picture. Here's some other good setups:

The hard part is that mitsubishi used the worlds biggest hub and knuckle setup, so there's way too much crap to work around:

The Brembos they gave us are huge and take up what little space is there. To do it right, get a more compact and powerful caliper (brakeman tornado, for example) and a 2pc rotor with decent hat size. Ditch the useless dust shield and see what you cant plumb in. It really lends itself well to using CF since you can mold it once, then easily make more with the mold. Trying to bad that complex geometry with sheet is really time consuming and expensive.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
Highgain10
Just Spooling Up

This is a winter project for me, though I'm working with a Stoptech BBK which only helps out slightly. I've already mocked up a few ideas but they were ok at best. My fellow designers/engineers and I have some other ideas we're going to work on over the winter that might prove to work a little better. We've been trying to look at it from a dyi viewpoint so that whatever we do can easily be replicated but I'm not going to guarantee it will end up that way.
NASA Midwest CMC (Camaro Mustang Challenge) #221
-'84 Camaro (wheel to wheel)
Previous:
NASA Midwest Time Trials TTB #221
-Evo retired from racing and back to street duty with
a baby seat in the back (Yes, it's a Recaro)
Highgain10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
Hispanic Panic
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highgain10 View Post
This is a winter project for me, though I'm working with a Stoptech BBK which only helps out slightly. I've already mocked up a few ideas but they were ok at best. My fellow designers/engineers and I have some other ideas we're going to work on over the winter that might prove to work a little better. We've been trying to look at it from a dyi viewpoint so that whatever we do can easily be replicated but I'm not going to guarantee it will end up that way.
Make me one while you're at it. I'll pay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement