COBB AP doesn't start up in hot weather - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Tuning > Cobb AccessPort
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Cobb AccessPort Subforum for discussion about AccessPort software and tuning.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
vassili
Just Spooling Up

COBB AP doesn't start up in hot weather

so i've ran into this problem twice now. i've left the AP in the car while i go out to grab lunch or something. come back 30 min later and inside of car is pretty warm...about 90deg F. 1st time, when i try to plug in the AP, half the screen comes on while the lower half is all garbled. i waited 10 min for the cabin to cool down and it worked.

this second time, the screen didn't even come on. i waited 10min and it still didn't come on. gonna bring it inside and wait a few hours before i try again. i kept the unit inside my armrest, not in direct sunlight.

does this happen to anyone else? i have the newer version for my 08 MR with the all black cable. wanna make sure it's a documented problem before i contact cobb.
vassili is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
alex3dworld

All car electronics with a screen DVDs. gps, etc, came with a warning on the books:
Do not expose the screen directly to the sun for a long period of time!
You are good with your 90 degrees; here in Miami my thermometer is marking 112 degrees inside my evo at the parking lot.
If I left a cd inside my OEM unit it won't come out when i press eject (I suspect that is because the cd is melted and change it's shape or the plastic mechanism expanded under the sun,
I always have to wait to cool down the car to the 90's degrees to eject it.
alex3dworld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
Golden
[Gearhead]

[email protected] said that putting the AP in the Freezer made it work better. So I'm guessing that something in them over heats and doesn't work. I'd let it cool off and make sure it still works. If it still has this problem, definitely contact Cobb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FP Red - E-85 - Golden Tuned
Need a Definition for the X?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PM me for Tuning info. (Any rom, including undefined roms.)
Golden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
Excalibur
Forum Addict

Wow, another one. lol.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
11XRAY
Forum Lackey

i guess i have to tot around a cooler for my AP lol...

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night because brave men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

11XRAY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
SiliconTek
Forum Addict

My Tactrix is still working, heat or not. Oops, wrong thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
SiliconTek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
churbo
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconTek View Post
My Tactrix is still working, heat or not. Oops, wrong thread!
lol

Haven't had any issues with mine when I am out and about. You could always do like what I did (Golden was the inventor) and use one of those cell phone holders that snap into your vent. Then you slap the AP in there and use your AC to keep it cool
churbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
steevo
Just Spooling Up

Yeah, it happened to me a few times when I left it in the armrest during work on hot days. Nothing on screen...no power..no nothing. So, I just re-mounted it, rolled the windows down and went driving. Hooked it back up after it had some air and no problem. Now, the AP comes into work with me because I'm sure the heat will ruin it.
GSR//SSS//Navi//Advan Racing RS 19x10//BC Racing Coilovers//Whiteline RCA//Ferodo DS2500//Cobb AccessPORT//ETS Intake//Perrin 3-Port//AMS FMIC//UR UICP//Turbosmart BOV//UR Test Pipe//Trust PE II Exhaust//Defi Boost Gauge//APR Vortex Generator//Ralliart Tails//20% Tint//Valentine One//TopSpeed Tuned: 346whp/355wtq
steevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 AM   #9
COBB Tuning
[Elite Merchant]

Extreme heat can cause the LCD to cease working. This isn't so much a limitation of the AccessPORT as it is the LCD screen... A quick internet search has a bit about this as it relates to calculator screens:

Because LCD fluid must be easily excited by the spark of a printed circuit board, it is designed to quickly react to high temperatures. Just as the high temperature of the circuit spark causes the fluid to expand and interact with the reactive coating, high ambient temperatures also cause the fluid to expand and react. A calculator left in direct sunlight (where it absorbs ultraviolet radiation) or in a hot car (where the intense heat excites the LCD fluid) will likely display a black screen; this display is a result of the hot, excited LCD fluid expanding and interacting with the reactive coating across the entire display.

I will research this more with our engineers and see if there is a better solution than, don't get it hot... However, if you were to leave your laptop in a hot car that would not be conducive to computer longevity either...

Travis
COBB Tuning

MITSUBISHI EXPERT GROUP
-
CHRIS BLACK | DREW GORRIE | CHARLES KAHLE | KYLE FLOWERS

|
|
|
COBB Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 01:39 AM   #10
SiliconTek
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Extreme heat can cause the LCD to cease working. This isn't so much a limitation of the AccessPORT as it is the LCD screen... A quick internet search has a bit about this as it relates to calculator screens:

Because LCD fluid must be easily excited by the spark of a printed circuit board, it is designed to quickly react to high temperatures. Just as the high temperature of the circuit spark causes the fluid to expand and interact with the reactive coating, high ambient temperatures also cause the fluid to expand and react. A calculator left in direct sunlight (where it absorbs ultraviolet radiation) or in a hot car (where the intense heat excites the LCD fluid) will likely display a black screen; this display is a result of the hot, excited LCD fluid expanding and interacting with the reactive coating across the entire display.

I will research this more with our engineers and see if there is a better solution than, don't get it hot... However, if you were to leave your laptop in a hot car that would not be conducive to computer longevity either...

Travis
COBB Tuning
Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.

Last edited by SiliconTek; 06-30-2010 at 02:09 PM.
SiliconTek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement