Evo X- GSR or MR? Which is better? - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 09-11-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
Duo_555
n00b

Evo X- GSR or MR? Which is better?

Hi, brand new to this forum and I'm more or less getting an Evo X by either years end or January. The question I have though which has probably been asked on this forum before is, which is better the MR or the GSR. The reason is that I love the convenience of the MR with its 6 speed semi auto gearbox. The GSR of course is a manual, but it's a 5 speed. Is the MR still easy to upgrade/tune or should I stick to the GSR for that.
Duo_555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2016, 11:42 PM   #2
Edis_Evo
n00b

Depends on what you want. I test drove an MR and it was great. But i preferred the "drivers" car. The 5 speed manual will feel like you have more control of the car. Trust me, once you get that exhaust on you want to hear your own shifts not the automatic/paddle ones. For the sake of having a 6th gear, it isnt all that benefical other than lower rpm highway driving. Infact you get 22mpg highway on the MR as compared to the GSR that gets 23. Another thing id consider is if you drive in a traffic dense area. The more traffic in manual=more use of clutch, which may cause extra wear. For me I went the a 2014 GSR mainly because of the 5 speed manual. The wing and wheels look great too but those are things you can easily change if you got an MR.at the end of the day, an evo is an evo. Hope this helps?
Edis_Evo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Haan

One isn't better than the other per se. It all comes down to your goals and what you want. When you bring up upgrade potential, the general safety zone for the MR is 300/300 because of the stock clutch packs. I personally have the MR. Sometimes I wish I got the GSR so I could feel more comfortable upping the HP and TQ, but when I bought it I was still in high school and not thinking of dropping serious money into the engine. So if you're planning on doing some serious upgrades, its something to consider. But the big plus side to the MR is that it can be automatic when a situation call for an auto. The mix of practicality from the automatic and shifting time of the twin clutch is nice.

-Cobb AP Stage1+
-Cobb SF Intake
-Corsa Catback
Haan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
oneonlywgs
Just Spooling Up

I personally have a MR and happy I made that choice. Traffic sucks around this way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Evo X
2003 Evo VII
oneonlywgs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
SteveQuestionmark

I'm on team GSR.. But I like having a clutch and a manual gear box. Gives my limbs more to do while driving, feels more 'in control' of the car. I haven't driven an MR, but I do know they can be just as involved for driving experience - so like everyone else has said it depends on what you want more. I drive in stop-and-go traffic occasionally, and its a tad annoying, but nothing that will make you really wish you didn't have a stick shift. (unless you only spend time in stop and go traffic..)
More Fast: Fujita air intake // AMS intercooler // ETS upper/lower hard pipes // ETS downpipe // Turbo XS turbo back exhaust // Stage 3 competition clutch // DW65c fuel pump // Pro tune by MooreAutomotive
More Cool: Eibach lowering springs // XXR 527s // Rally Armor Mud Flaps // 20% Tint

RIP:
2006 Evo 9 MR
2003 Evo 8
SteveQuestionmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
WCL79
n00b

I purchased MR because there are times where I and my wife have to switch the cars. Teaching my wife how to drive manual car wasn't an option. lol
WCL79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #7
Kooldino
Dino
[Approved Merchant]
[Local Team Member]

If you think you might do anything beyond some basic bolt ons and a tune, go with a GSR, your life will be much easier.

If you want to keep it basic, the MR is a good option. It's nice when you don't need to manage a 3rd pedal on the track.
Kooldino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

I am with GSR camp. I like to modify my car and love the simplicity/realiability of a manual transmission.

I drive in traffic all the time and it's not annoying in any way in my opinion. I have driven an MR, and I found it more boring than GSR.

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
lehuynh1981
Just Spooling Up

This is my 2nd GSR. I bought a 2008 when it first came out. This time I wanted to test drive the MR just make sure I wanted another GSR. After test driving it I was sold, it was great other than the hesitation upon acceleration then I test drove the GSR again and I went with the GSR. Its so much more fun to drive IMO.
lehuynh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2016, 02:54 AM   #10
FrenziedTom
Just Spooling Up

I only drive this car in the city. and after 4 years of it and a twin disk clutch the stick has gotten the best of me. i would have prefered a MR with bolt ons. But i still love my gsr

Swift spec R - 18x9.5 Silver RPF1 with 265/35/18 Pilot Super sports

2009 Harley Davidson Vrod Night Rod Special - Trask intercooled turbo kit
FrenziedTom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement