Evo X- GSR or MR? Which is better? - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 11-26-2016, 07:29 PM   #21
kevox805

It all comes down to what is your ultimate goal on buying an evo? Is this just for show/daily or you planning on racing/fun/showing off to your friends? . I honestly think you can get more respect with a stick shift car when you talk to other car enthusiasts, imo. I am not hating on the MR, but its hard to fit in with the crowd if you are talking about automatic. Just my opinion though, so for me get a GSR.. Learn to drive it and you'll have tons of fun.
kevox805 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2016, 08:57 AM   #22
Gustl
n00b

I have MR SST. Drive it also on Nurburgring and am happy with it.
Gustl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 AM   #23
15awdturboevo
n00b

I am on my 3rd X MR and I love it
15awdturboevo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 05:18 AM   #24
ChrisG23
X-phile

Come on man... I know your a knowledgeable guy and have a lot of back ground with these cars but to compare an MR to your GTR and say it don't feel like a 'real' TC car is just flat out irresponsible. At some point cost has to come into consideration. You sound like Jeremy Clarckson comparing a camaro ss to the Mercedes c63 Amg black.
At some point you have to admit the price difference renders the comparison just silly.

At least compare it to a TC car in its price range, like a golf r. You don't see golf r guys comparing their cars to lambos and knocking the golf for not being as good, even though VW owns Lamboghini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_weezy View Post
I've owned an FBO GSR and now currently have an MR with some mods. I actually do prefer the GSR. You feel more engaged. And hearing the sound of your own shifts (as another member mentioned) is far better. Especially because you get more pops an bangs, when you add an exhaust. I had the ETS Extreme. So there was lots of that in my GSR. Also the GSR looks better out of the box, with its wing, black vents and grill etc, and I like the wheels better. And it's cheaper!

HOWEVER, I recently picked up an MR because where I live now is basically on a road course. The car was a one owner, extremely clean, low miles, and had all the mods I wanted already. So I decided to switch it up and try it out. My drive is very twisty and very smooth and I just missed having an awd sports car to drive around and have fun with. My car has a wing, is lowered, wheels etc. So it looks like a GSR, minus a couple chrome pieces that I'm going to blackout. The MR does have the two piece rotors up front, the Bilsteins shocks, and I love the Recaro seats with the alcantara inserts. I believe the MR is a little nicer on the inside compared to the base model GSR. This, iirc, would depend on the years you are comparing though.

My biggest let down with the MR is that the shifts are not as quick as I had hope they would be. I've always heard good things about the SST but since I own an FBO E85 GTR, it shifts about the same speed as my GTR when it's in normal mode. When I put the GTR in RACE mode, the shifts are so fast, so engaging, and there's just no comparison. So when you have such a powerful car, and the shifts happen in a blink of an eye, it's very engaging. And I think that's where the MR disappoints a little bit.

But it's still an Evo! I still haul ass and take names! I also take 35mph corners at 60. So they're both a lot of fun. I do miss the 5 speed manual, although I do not miss being on the freeway for long distances with it. The MR with its 6th gear seems wayyy better for that. My biggest thing when I first got an Evo X was, the GSR is cheaper and looks better. That's what sold me. So unless you're set on an MR, because you have traffic, or prefer auto cars, or whatever, then get the GSR. But the MR, to me, isn't really a true twin clutch, paddle shift car. It's more of a middle man between and auto and a real TC car, like a GTR, M3, Porsche, etc
ID1300 ***SOLD***
Synapse DV ***SOLD***
FlexConverter.com Blue Flex kit. ***sold***
AMS DP, UICP, LICP, IC
STM Bellmouth intake
ETS test pipe ETS V2 quiet
Ohlins R&T 10k/10k ***SOLD***
Whiteline F & R 27mm & endlinks
TephraXmod V3
E tune in progress

***PARTING OUT!***
come save some money on your build.
Visit my for sale thread;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChrisG23; 12-03-2016 at 05:31 AM.
ChrisG23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016, 06:37 AM   #25
chi_weezy
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisG23 View Post
Come on man... I know your a knowledgeable guy and have a lot of back ground with these cars but to compare an MR to your GTR and say it don't feel like a 'real' TC car is just flat out irresponsible. At some point cost has to come into consideration. You sound like Jeremy Clarckson comparing a camaro ss to the Mercedes c63 Amg black.
At some point you have to admit the price difference renders the comparison just silly.

At least compare it to a TC car in its price range, like a golf r. You don't see golf r guys comparing their cars to lambos and knocking the golf for not being as good, even though VW owns Lamboghini.
Lol. You're right. But hey, I have to compare it to what I know. And what I know, is that the SST just doesn't impress me. I love the Evo X. Always have. But she ain't perfect. I still have a lot of fun in this car and for 30k it's one of the best cars you can buy!

2010 Apex Silver Evo MR \\ Work Emotion CR 18x9.5+20 \\ ETS HFC \\ ETS Quiet \\ Eibach Springs \\ Injen Intake + UICP \\ Cobb AP

2012 BE Gunmetal Grey GTR // Advan GT // FBO E85 // 620whp/620tq // H&R Springs // Rexspeed CF Lip + Skirts

SOLD 2013 WW Mitsubishi Evo X GSR - EStuned by Evan Smith 318awhp/355awtq @ 23.5psi on Dynojet

SOLD 1997 Toyota Supra \\ ProEFI ->>> 685whp E85 \\ RPS Carbon Carbon \\ Precision 6766 Billet DBB \\

SOLD 1994 Toyota Supra \\ 840whp \\ E85
chi_weezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #26
ChrisG23
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_weezy View Post
Lol. You're right. But hey, I have to compare it to what I know. And what I know, is that the SST just doesn't impress me. I love the Evo X. Always have. But she ain't perfect. I still have a lot of fun in this car and for 30k it's one of the best cars you can buy!
When it was introduced, it was one of the best systems available. The problem is that was almost a decade ago. The real problem with the sst is the death of the evo.
ID1300 ***SOLD***
Synapse DV ***SOLD***
FlexConverter.com Blue Flex kit. ***sold***
AMS DP, UICP, LICP, IC
STM Bellmouth intake
ETS test pipe ETS V2 quiet
Ohlins R&T 10k/10k ***SOLD***
Whiteline F & R 27mm & endlinks
TephraXmod V3
E tune in progress

***PARTING OUT!***
come save some money on your build.
Visit my for sale thread;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ChrisG23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #27
xlr8tin

This is an easy one...GSR...Duh!
xlr8tin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2016, 08:50 PM   #28
wcueclipse21
n00b

Gsr...who wants a car like an evo and not being able to speed through the gears?
wcueclipse21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2016, 04:59 AM   #29
nugzboltz
n00b

Got a chance to drive my coworker's MR the other week. Loved how smoothly and quickly it shifted compared to my amateur-grade shifting in my GSR. Also the launch control on it was pretty sweet.

But I would only consider the MR if my daily drive was full of traffic.
nugzboltz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #30
dr_do0m
n00b

guess it all depends on preference. gsr can arguably handle more power out of the box; mr is more convenient in traffic and/or when quick shifting is wanted.
i personally prefer gsr because of the increased engagement when shifting.
dr_do0m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement