Harness & Harness bar question help!! - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Racing > Track
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Track Discussion for track driving techniques, events and results.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
pcasso87
Forum Lackey

Harness & Harness bar question help!!

Ok guys so i ordered a couple of takata 5 point harnesses and a sparco harness bar and i have a few questions.

1- Im still on the stock recaros is this ok while using harnesses?? i mean they have a hole for them.

2- How safe are harness bars?? i heard they are the best for doing these type of applications.

3- will i be able to use the 5 point harness on the stock recaros or should i use just the 4 points until i order my recaro one piece bucket seats?

4- May i retain the stock seatbelts for occasional street driving?? My car is my weekend warrior but i like to take it out on the streets some time so this is a big concern to me as using a harness in the streets just seems dumb.

5- Should i get the harness shoulder pads or i dont need them.

BTW: I dont want this for show im actually thinking of my own safety i track my car a lot and a roll cage is not an option right now. I feel with the stock seatbelt i move around to much!!
pcasso87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
DrivenFab
Forum Addict

1- Yes
2- I cant answer that
3- I would only run 4 point, but you can run 5 if you want
4- Yes
5- I would get the shoulder pads, but its up to you.
DrivenFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
Johnr352
Just Spooling Up

You can't use the crotch strap properly unless you cut a hole in the Recaro to feed up the strap.

Harness bars are good, a full cage of course, is better.

The stock seats could, potentially, break where they recline. If they did then a harness would be rendered ineffective. A single seat is stronger.

Pretty sure that your 4/5 pt is not DOT so you need oem belts for the street. Not to mention that other people will tease you for wearing a harness off track....
Girodisc, Full-Race, Seibon
2011, 2012 TT2 NASA NE Champion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for details
Johnr352 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #4
Eyler_Evo_X
Cunning Linguist

Don't get a five-point. Like others have stated, the Recaro seats aren't set up for them. Get a set of Brides or something with the slot in the front for the five point. I've heard lots of good stuff about Schrothe Rally-4 harnesses. Bradze uses them and he's a track whore.
I miss pre-mod Eyler. I say we start a campaign to return Eyler to his pre-mod glory, eloquent passes at me, random acts of empathy and grammar nazi-ing, while still modding. We'll call it Eyler: Back to Stock 2014. Yeah that will work. We need a movie poster of it.
Eyler_Evo_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
trackjunkie
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyler_Evo_X View Post
Don't get a five-point. Like others have stated, the Recaro seats aren't set up for them. Get a set of Brides or something with the slot in the front for the five point. I've heard lots of good stuff about Schrothe Rally-4 harnesses. Bradze uses them and he's a track whore.

Ummmmmm ya you can run a 5 point with stock seat just fine. The whole point of the crotch belt is to prevent the lap belt from riding up the torso. 4 point belts are gay and in imo are unsafe. Now to argue, most people will say that if you put a harness in a car without a full roll cage and the car rolls over then the chances of head injury are much higher then with the stock 3 point belt.
I've been running a 5 point harness on the track for some time and trust me it's not for show. It's functional and set up to be safe.
If you have a lot of money and wanna get an aftermarket seat then go ahead. But you do not need a hole to route the sub belt.

Ya I've been in a car with a 4 point and its dumb to even think to put that in your car. I even talked to a guy with the 4 point Taketa harness in his heavily modded s2k and asked him how he like it and he said it's sides up your torso when you tighten the shoulder belts.. You get into an accident and the lap belt which is suppose to lay across your hips are now across your ribs. I think you get the point if you get into an accident at the track how bad that would be compared to using the stock 3 point belt or a 5 point harness.
I've sat in a car around the track with the 4 point schrothe and it's just dumb, uncomfortable (because it slides up and is only a 2 inch wide belt which digs into the body) and unsafe if not set up properly imo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0655.JPG (2.65 MB, 3636 views)
Jon HB Speed Custom Tune /Perrin TIP, Downpipe, Stealth FMIC/ Custom Cat back Exhaust with Magna Flow Muffler/ Synapse DV/ Nisei UICP/ Hotchkis Sway Bars/ Swift Springs/ Whiteline RCK/ Rota DPT's/ Racingline Products/ Rally Armor/ 3M Clear Bra/ Di Noc Carbon Roof/

Last edited by trackjunkie; 09-23-2010 at 03:11 AM.
trackjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
Eyler_Evo_X
Cunning Linguist

I'll take your word for it. I'm just repeating what I've read in other places. As for the four-points, yeah, they're not as safe, but you can buy some really reliable ones that are easy to install and take out on the fly and serve the purpose during HPDEs and such. But, I do agree, a five-point will be much safer in the long run.
I miss pre-mod Eyler. I say we start a campaign to return Eyler to his pre-mod glory, eloquent passes at me, random acts of empathy and grammar nazi-ing, while still modding. We'll call it Eyler: Back to Stock 2014. Yeah that will work. We need a movie poster of it.
Eyler_Evo_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
bradze
Grumpy young man

return all of that shit! get a schroth rallye 4 unless you plan on stripping down interior including those recaros.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my random nothingness thread

"i can bitch, i can bitch 'cuz i'm better than you" elton john
bradze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 03:10 AM   #8
bradze
Grumpy young man

i think mlomker uses the rallye 4 as well, and thousands do in other cars. not expensive, what do you need an FIA rating for?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #9
bradze
Grumpy young man

oh yeah, dont waste money on 5-pts, they might be fine for johnny rebel's trans-am, get 6 points.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
pcasso87
Forum Lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradze View Post
oh yeah, dont waste money on 5-pts, they might be fine for johnny rebel's trans-am, get 6 points.
yeah i called vividracing and ask them to send me the 6 point instead, stock recaros will only be here for a month or two until i save up for some recaro racing non reclining buckets!! 1000 bucks a piece so i have to save up. How much do you think i can sell the stock ones for?? they are in tip top shape.
pcasso87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement