Unable to read vacuum or boost with AEM 35-8460 - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Turbo
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Turbo Discussion for turbo systems that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.

Old 10-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #21
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_of_anu View Post
Lol no, I bought it from someone I knew who got carried away on a few things... both of these replies are awesome. Thank you!!

It was inevitable I suppose.
For what's worth the EBCS - Wastegate routing is correct assuming the vacuum lines are connected to the correct ports on the wastegate. It's an external with dual ports I assume? So then that would be right.

From the picture though it looks like your EBCS has 4 ports, but it really should be three - what's going on with that? Is this vacuum line in yellow connected to anything or just leftover from the stock boost controller installation?

https://i.imgur.com/Te9w5bO.png

Do you think the BOV vacuum line actually originates in the intake manifold?

https://i.imgur.com/bjl2jCX.png

That's stock routing (rubber hose goes to hard line that ends behind the engine, then another rubber hose connects to BOV).

I've been looking all over for the correct vacuum routing for an EFR kit but wasn't able to find anything that was easy to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AiZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #22
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Folks, the diagram is on the page 70:

http://www.evoxservicemanual.co.uk/P...0006300-17.pdf

eTune by Chet Rickerman, the best mod really.

2012 PB GSR - 340 AWHP/338 TQ on a good day.
CanEvo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #23
evo_of_anu

Yes, my Turbosmart wastegate is an external with dual ports. I definitely think it only has 3 ports.

Not sure why it looks that way, I think it's because that vacuum line is tapped into the main turbo line. There is some serious fuckiness that with some patience and observation can be resolved.
evo_of_anu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #24
evo_of_anu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanEvo2012 View Post
Folks, the diagram is on the page 70:

http://www.evoxservicemanual.co.uk/P...0006300-17.pdf
This is god tier.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #25
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_of_anu View Post
This is god tier.

Thanks!
Check all the diagrams on that website - it's heaven for Evo X owners

Old 10-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #26
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

He does have a 6266 externally wastegated though so I think one of the barbs being Teed into the boost source is correct. But I have no first hand experience so it's the blind leading the blind

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #27
CanEvo2012
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiZ View Post
He does have a 6266 externally wastegated though so I think one of the barbs being Teed into the boost source is correct. But I have no first hand experience so it's the blind leading the blind
What's the difference, all that matters it is a waste gate, internal or external it needs a source of boost to act on it.

He also has single 3-port instead of stock-like 2 3-ports, so that should be adjusted for as well, but overall, as long as one understands the concept how system works, wiring it should be no issue.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:14 AM   #28
turismolover22
Just Spooling Up

There are a couple problems I see here.

1, if the "paint" diagram you drew is correct, your BOV as well as your boost gauge are never referenced to boost, ever. So your BOV shouldn't be functioning properly. Your boost gauge wont either, so this would explain it.

2. It appears the other stock boost control solenoid has hoses attached to it. If they go to anything, this is 100% wrong. The stock system uses two solenoids to control the wastegate, and this is more or less its own system. When you upgrade to a 3 or 4 port boost controller, you disconnect the stock boost solenoid from vacuum. The plug is left connected as it allows the car to assume it functions, and thus not throw a code.

The Grimmspeed (and almost every 3 port/4 port controller) are typically sold as "normally open" valves. They way they work, is you have an input, and two outputs.

So input is your boost reference, turbo, manifold etc. Port 2 is typically connected to the wastegate can (if that is the normally open port). Port 3 is VTA (vent to atmosphere) or back to the intake.

When your car is seeking a target boost value, it closes the valve, allowing all boost from port 1 to be blocked like a wall. When it reaches target, its commanded to "open" by being turned off, and once your boost is down to a set level, it pulses the valve back on and off, closing off that wastegate side (which in turn bleeds out the vent port "3"), and bleeding boost off. More or less like you trying to pump a tire up with a fast leak. You push the pump down, the tire airs up, but then the pressure is bled off by the air leak. This back and forth motion is what controls the boost in a 3 port scenario.

Because the 3 port is "normally open" this means in the event of a failure, the path from port 1 (reference) to port 2 (wastegate can) is open, allowing the can to open up at spring pressure. This is a failsafe in effort to reduce a catastrophic overboost condition should the solenoid fail.

Personally I would leave it as is, and figure out how its been tuned before you go about messing with a bunch of stuff. With the stock solenoid appearing to still be a part of the system has me very curious as to how your boost control is actually functioning. With the system plumbed correctly it should not be a mess at all like what you have now. External wastegates, and "two port" internal wastegates have a secondary tuneable port on the other side of the can diaphragm. This allows you to run a lower wastegate spring to increase low boost control, but also allows you to apply pressure to that side of the diaphragm, so it can hold higher boost pressures.
turismolover22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #29
evo_of_anu

It was on the stockish tune when I grabbed the car. I think it was in open-loop mode just so it could be driven.

I am going to just re-route the entire system.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:38 PM   #30
AiZ
Just Spooling Up

Holy shit stock tune with a 6266?

Ok, at least you already said you're working with Chet, good luck and don't boost that car until things are straightened out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement