Lowering springs and... - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X Wheels, Suspension & Brakes General discussion for wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension topics that are unique to the Evo X. IF THE TOPIC IS COMMON WITH OTHER LANCERS, PLEASE POST IT IN: '08+ Lancer Common.
Sponsored by:
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 03:55 AM   #1
GGevo10
Just Spooling Up

Lowering springs and...

Hopfully an easy and quick question. Im planning on buying H&R lowering springs, and from what I have heard is many things, i can just but the springs or i need controll arms and so on. It would be great if i could get some input. Thank you
Dave
GM 3-port
Cobb acessport
Aem:wideband, Boost
Comp clutch stage 2/ Magnus cmc
Muellerized Ohlins Dfv
Whiteline RCK
Ferodo 2500, SS lines
GGevo10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
pbevox
X-phile

I am no expert on this, but I plan on using Swift lowering springs on my car. I don't think you have to do anything besides add lowering springs - you will definitely need an alignment afterwards (you might want to wait for springs to settle before doing so though). I plan on adding a RCK at the same time.
"The Whiteline Roll Center Adjustment Kit is designed to raise the front roll-center geometry by using specially engineered ball joints and tie rod ends while still maintaining original steering geometry. As the EVO is lowered, front roll geometry is actually encouraged. Raising the front roll center results in a substantial increase to front roll resistance and a significant reduction in suspension compression of the outside front wheel during cornering. This improves weight distribution, maintains a better camber angle and ultimately improves front end grip. The overall outcome is significantly reduced understeer through reduced front wheel compression, as well as improved steering feel, steering precision and vehicle stability."
pbevox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
trick3d
Forum Addict

YOU DONT NEED ANYTHING BESIDES THE SPRINGS.
You should PROBABLY GET the RCK since the drop is significant, in order to keep the geometry proper.
Nagua's Mouth. It's open all the time.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
trick3d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
bigstakk
Forum Lackey

yeah definitely get the rck kit with that drop...I am on eibach pro kit which has a similar drop and I definitely noticed a difference in handling by adding the Whiteline rck...obviously get a good alignment after springs are installed - keep in mind that stock alignment is -1*F/-1*R camber and if you want a little more aggressive alignment go with a little more negative camber but consider camber tread wear if doing so...I personally run -1.5*F/-1.5*R camber... GL!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
GGevo10
Just Spooling Up

So is the whiteline kit something that is easy to do yourself or should that be done by someone who knows what their doing? Same with the springs, im not sure how difficult it is to put the actual springs on. Ive gotten bids from local shops that say $400 and i called AMS and they said $500 which isnt gonna happen. Sorry for all the questions, honestly im clueless With the cambers is that something that the mechanic is going to ask me when i get an alignment or something that I should tell him? And last are the swift springs any "better" than the H&R, i read that on some springs you have to trim the butstock? Im just looking for a good street setup Thanks guys your a great help to a noob
Old 12-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
verkion
X-phile

Springs are doable oneself. RCK you need a press to get the ends out/in of the control arms. That said, I think there's a how-to where someone did it themselves...something about 4ft breaker bars and one of those screw-type presses that he rented if I remember correctly.

Of course you'd need to do an alignment as well which unless you have the tools is going to run you b/w $75 and $100 already.

BTW, I would recommend an RCK kit of some sort. Whenever you "drop" a vehicle, you lower the center of gravity yes, but it drops "quicker" than the "Roll Center." So lets say, CG drops 1.5" and the Roll Center drop 0.5". Well, the Roll couple (essentially the distance between CG and RC for our intents and purposes) actually increases over stock which = bad thing. (This is over simplification because I suppose if your car had to turn one way all the time and lean in a particular way, a larger Roll Couple could be used to one's advantage...I suppose.)

Basically, increased Roll Center = not so good for transitioning (L to R, R to L). That said, most people don't care and really just drop the car for looks. (If you've read this post so far...I'm impressed).

Thanks!
verkion
verkion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #7
GGevo10
Just Spooling Up

Hahahah I followed what you said above but I can't say that I knew what you were talking about. I will do my research and figure this all out. Thank you for your help. And my final question. This is kind of general, but who has a better reputation for a "better" spring. H&R or Swift? Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement