Here is the truth about flash counters, warranty, etc *Interview w.Mits master tech* - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 08-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
ikt
Banned

Here is the truth about flash counters, warranty, etc *Interview w.Mits master tech*

Okay, a friend of mine is a factory trained Evo X Master Technician, and here is the gospel regarding cobb AP's, tunes and warranty.

PLEASE NOTE: the info in this thread is only as it relates specifically to Evo X warranty, the access dealers have to ECU information, and how the warranty program works. Programmers may be able to access more on their own, let us thank god they don't work for Mitsubishi.

1. Does a "flash counter" exist in the stock ECU?
No.

2. If I have a Cobb AP with a tune, and uninstall it then bring my car to service, will they know that my car has previously been tuned?
No. The ECU does not story any information regarding tunes, as it was never designed to do so.

3. If my car has a tune on it, will they know, and how?
Yes, but nothing specific. It makes the MUT scanner wig out and give crazy readings, and the technician will know it has some sort of tune, but that's all.

4. Does the factory log cars known to be tuned by VIN numbers?
No. Mitsubishi has no way to know unless a tech calls them and tells them. There is no database connected to the MUT terminals. Also, they don't care enough to worry about it.

5. Does having a tune void my warranty?
Not necessarily. If you have a tune and your tranny blows our t-case blows, they will still warranty it since there's no connection. If you have a big ass turbo and you clutch is burned up, too bad. Throw a rod and we see a big turbo? Sorry, no coverage. You can have a million mods on your car, but if it is not related to the failure, we will cover it. There's no way that having a turbo back exhaust would make your AC quit or axles go bad-so we would cover it.

6. Who makes the final call?
Each area has a specific, single person who has sole control over the authorization. If the tech says it should be warrantied, 9 out of 10 times they go with it. The techs and service department get paid to do warranty work-it is in their interest to warranty as much as they can.

7. Is there some sort of log in the ECU that can tell how fast I was going, or what was done to the car, anything like that?
No. The only log is the DTC numbers (CEL light codes). If you "scatter" or crash the ECU (limp mode), it might show what RPM you were at, but that's all, and even that is a pain in the ass to get to and doesn't matter anyways. I only know this cuz I got bored at work one day and tried to see how deep I could get into an ECU.

8. So to clarify, Mits has no log of tuned ECU's, there is NO flash counter, and a flash doesn't void your warranty unless you're trying to warranty the ECU itself, correct?
Correct.

....and there you have it

Last edited by ikt; 08-11-2012 at 10:53 PM.
ikt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
neil2099
X-phile

winning
neil2099 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Boston_eagle
Forum Lackey

Well done this should be a sticky thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The Colonel's new recipe is E85, bitches.
Boston_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
HappyMint
Forum Addict

Interesting.

Build thread with lots of vids:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus
I'm drawn to them and cannot turn away. Its the same morbid fascination I'd have while watching a severely retarded person try to pick up a quarter off the street.

HappyMint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
ikt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_eagle View Post
Well done this should be a sticky thread
sure. I was reading all these threads, and it dawned on me "i know an X master tech, shit I'll just call him and ask him"

He doesn't own an X or anything, family guy, builds hot rods in his spare time. It's nice cuz he has no opinion on anything, he just busts out the facts as the internal Mits rules state them.

And I bring my car there with my Cobb tune on it, all my mods, everything, and they still warrantied my t-case no issues.

Last edited by ikt; 08-11-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
waffles3680

What area does this guy cover?
waffles3680 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Charles Darwin
Just Spooling Up

What he ^^^^ said.

1. Blox shift knob
2. CNT RS cat Back Exhaust
3. To be continued...
Charles Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
TheBlade
X-phile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikt View Post
Okay, a friend of mine is a factory trained Evo X Master Technician, and here is the gospel regarding cobb AP's, tunes and warranty.

7. Is there some sort of log in the ECU that can tell how fast I was going, or what was done to the car, anything like that?
No. The only log is the DTC numbers (CEL light codes). If you "scatter" or crash the ECU (limp mode), it might show what RPM you were at, but that's all, and even that is a pain in the ass to get to and doesn't matter anyways. I only know this cuz I got bored at work one day and tried to see how deep I could get into an ECU.

....and there you have it
I agree with the post. However starting in 2014, a law was passed that all cars will be equipped with a "blackbox". The blackbox will have gps: acceleration(straight and lateral), velocity (min, max and averages), logging of previous trips, etc.

So give it a couple years and a technician could figure out where you/your kids go to school, what time you go to work, what time you came home, even what gas station you like to fill up at.

so sad our government has this much power....
TheBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
ikt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffles3680 View Post
What area does this guy cover?
he's a technician, these rules are nationwide from Mitsubishi directly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlade View Post
I agree with the post. However starting in 2014, a law was passed that all cars will be equipped with a "blackbox". The blackbox will have gps: acceleration(straight and lateral), velocity (min, max and averages), logging of previous trips, etc.

So give it a couple years and a technician could figure out where you/your kids go to school, what time you go to work, what time you came home, even what gas station you like to fill up at.

yeah, but that doesn't mean that they are going to use that to null a warranty. There's a misconception that Mits doesn't want to do warranty work. They dealers actually really want to, cuz they get commissions off of it. Mits has a simple set of rules about what gets warrantied and what doesn't, and Mits corporate doesn't care enough about the few hundred Evos they sell to rewrite their warranty rules for an entire company.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
waffles3680

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlade View Post
I agree with the post. However starting in 2014, a law was passed that all cars will be equipped with a "blackbox".

Black box removal mod! Ill post the how-to when it happens!
waffles3680 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement