Here is the truth about flash counters, warranty, etc *Interview w.Mits master tech* - Page 3 - EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums
Go Back   EvoXForums.com - Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X Forums > Evo X > Evo X General
Home Register Forum Store Members List Calendar Auto Loans vBGarage Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Evo X General General discussion on the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #21
HappyMint
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikt View Post
You're thinking of Cobb...and I know he knows a lot about ECU hacking but that doesn't matter to me. If that was some sort of essay, it would be rejected for lack of evidence. ECU Roms are not particularly complicated, and it's not like a special coding language or something. I watched a guy hack the first 02 VW GTi ECU with a palm pilot.

Like I said, I'll take the word of an Evo tech over even a programming genius who found a string of numbers that changes with ECU flash only.
No I'm not, I'm thinking of Tephra. I know exactly who he is and what he has done.

You're wrong about how easy it is by the way, so I wouldn't marginalize it.

Build thread with lots of vids:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morricus
I'm drawn to them and cannot turn away. Its the same morbid fascination I'd have while watching a severely retarded person try to pick up a quarter off the street.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HappyMint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #22
Yxd68
Forum Addict

Quote:
So give it a couple years and a technician could figure out where you/your kids go to school, what time you go to work, what time you came home, even what gas station you like to fill up at.

so sad our government has this much power....
Your paranoia exceeds you.

Black box recorders only save ~30 minutes of data. And usually stop recording when some major event occurs, like airbag deployment. They do NOT keep recording everything forever. For a tech to know where your kids go to school, your laundry pickypo schedule, etc. you'd need to visit a dealership every hour. Or probably easier for the tech is to just ask you - I bet most would tell them without question.

Quote:
they can track you by cell phone anytime they want anyways. I used to work for Verizon. You location is logged every 3 seconds, 24 hours a day. Gov't can access it whenever they want.
THIS is fact. Thanks to the Bush Administration.
Yxd68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #23
ZeroCooll21
[NEEvo President]

Quote:
You're thinking of Cobb..

Tephra started working for Cobb recently. Before that he as decoding the Evo's ECU for open source community.

RIP Lomker
ZeroCooll21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #24
HappyMint
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroCooll21 View Post
Tephra started working for Cobb recently. Before that he as decoding the Evo's ECU for open source community.
Exactly. Cobb HIRED Tephra b/c of his knowledge. I.E. He was more familiar than they were with the Evo X ECU.

Quote:
I'm drawn to them and cannot turn away. Its the same morbid fascination I'd have while watching a severely retarded person try to pick up a quarter off the street.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #25
ikt
Banned

Quote:
Just curious, do you know how many Evo X Master Techs there are? I know certain nissan dealers have to have specially trained techs for the GT-R's but I've never heard of this of Evo's. Is there list anywhere that shows where other Master Techs are?

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.
doubt it. We are way more into Evo's than Mitsubishi is lol
ikt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #26
HappyMint
Forum Addict

Quote:
doubt it. We are way more into Evo's than Mitsubishi is lol
Pretty sure the whole "master tech" just means the guy went some special classes put on by Mitsu with instructions on how to work on the Evo. My dealership has one too and he's very open to talking to me about all this stuff.

I think if they checked flash counts we'd know by now. Just because they don't / can't / don't have the tools to know how to, doesn't mean the ECU doesn't have something embedded within it that tracks flash count.

Quote:

Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #27
ikt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMint View Post
No I'm not, I'm thinking of Tephra. I know exactly who he is and what he has done.

ok. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm not saying he didn't discover some crazy ass buried hex code that changes. I'm just saying what he did/found is only with one program, and is so far beyond the level that anyone at Mits would ever do that it's really more trivia than anything.

Quote:
And? If he got on Cobb payroll, that's awesome. He clearly knows his stuff.

Quote:
Pretty sure the whole "master tech" just means the guy went some special classes put on by Mitsu with instructions on how to work on the Evo. My dealership has one too and he's very open to talking to me about all this stuff.

I think if they checked flash counts we'd know by now. Just because they don't / can't / don't have the tools to know how to, doesn't mean the ECU doesn't have something embedded within it that tracks flash count.
ok?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #28
TheBlade
X-phile

I do remember seeing the post about the discovery of the flash counter, but (I think it was Golden that was talking about it) pointed out that it increments even when Mitsu connects to do updates. So, the hardware has a counter, but it's just not useful for actually doing anything.

I remember when I stopped following the thread the real question was "How many flashes does it take to make the counter roll-over back to 0"

Some dealers suck on Evo service. But most of the time they find out what's done to an Evo between a mix of Sherlock Holmes and Kevin Mitnick. They take a really close look, and it's not the first Evo they've worked on so they know what to see that's changed, and the rest of it is a bit of social engineering and asking you questions while threatening you. One second they are your best friends asking you if you want some coffee while you wait, and the next they are dialing the regional rep and telling them anything they want you to confess too.

Some of the dealers are just cool and don't like to put up the song and dance.
TheBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #29
ikt
Banned

Quote:

I'm not marginalizing it, and it is easy. But it's like anything else-what can you do once you're in there? The programs used to access things makes a difference. Look at iPhones. I can modify text files with Evernote, I can read the code in it, get into the root, etc, etc. But I can't do anything to it, as that program isn't really for that and doesn't have write permissions. If I use iFile or similar, I have write permissions in the root and can do whatever I want. It's the same kernel, but the level of permissions is entirely different. I'm not saying that anyone with a PDA can hack and Evo and become a tuner.

Like I said on EvoM: the shit that guys like tephra gets into and understands and has access to read/write is lightyears ahead of anything you're going to run into anywhere at a dealership.

I don't know why this launched into a debate about tephra's programming skills...the info in the thread is only as it relates specifically to Evo X warranty, the access dealers have to ECU information, and how the program works. I'll update teh first post to reflect that.

Last edited by ikt; 08-11-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #30
ZeroCooll21
[NEEvo President]

Quote:

Gotcha, still news to me though. Didn't even know they offered a class / qualification process like that.

RIP Lomker
ZeroCooll21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement